So, How bout a little global warming?

This is a discussion on So, How bout a little global warming? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well snow last week in New Orleans, snowfall rates of 12 in per hour east of LA, record lows for Denver and most all of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, How bout a little global warming?

Well snow last week in New Orleans, snowfall rates of 12 in per hour east of LA, record lows for Denver and most all of the central plains. Global warming sure is a problem isn't it? I know one year doesn't yet make a trend but I have read weather reports saying that global warming is going to take a 10 year hiatus. riiiiiiight.
    A simple observation...our sun has had very few sunspots over the past year or two. In fact, the fewest since the little ice age a few hundred years ago. Could it be that our climate is most influenced by the sole source of heat in the solar system? Radical concept I know.
    But don't let that get in the way of a new EPA and other "save the earth" politicians to impose extreme restrictions upon America. Like for instance the proposal to tax beef cattle at a rate of $87 per head per year or $176 for dairy cattle for the greenhouse gas emissions (methane, a.k.a. cow farts) of the livestock.
    I'm sure there will be many new efforts to "save the planet" coming. But maybe the new cry will be saving us from global cooling? Well I'm going to be ahead of the curb on this one so excuse me while I go lite up a pile of tires.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    Well snow last week in New Orleans, snowfall rates of 12 in per hour east of LA, record lows for Denver and most all of the central plains. Global warming sure is a problem isn't it? I know one year doesn't yet make a trend but I have read weather reports saying that global warming is going to take a 10 year hiatus. riiiiiiight.
    A simple observation...our sun has had very few sunspots over the past year or two. In fact, the fewest since the little ice age a few hundred years ago. Could it be that our climate is most influenced by the sole source of heat in the solar system? Radical concept I know.
    But don't let that get in the way of a new EPA and other "save the earth" politicians to impose extreme restrictions upon America. Like for instance the proposal to tax beef cattle at a rate of $87 per head per year or $176 for dairy cattle for the greenhouse gas emissions (methane, a.k.a. cow farts) of the livestock.
    I'm sure there will be many new efforts to "save the planet" coming. But maybe the new cry will be saving us from global cooling? Well I'm going to be ahead of the curb on this one so excuse me while I go lite up a pile of tires.
    I won't take a position on this one, but I will point out that it's global climate change that they're concerned about. Not just a warming trend. Too cold, too hot, too many extremes.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    [sarcasm]It's cold and snowing in the middle of winter. That proves that the earth is warming.[/sarcasm]

The climate has been changing ever since there has been a climate.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Administrator
    Where is Al Gore when you really need him to warm the globe up a few degrees?

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Go outside and yell: "I hate you Al Gore"

Remember back in the 70's the big news was global cooling. Conversations were the same back then for cooling.
    If the weatherman can't make a correct prediction for next week, then how can he make it for the next decade or century. JMHO
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    Well, if Global Warming is real, and mankind is responsible for it, then we must be causing it on Mars too. Both Earth and Mars are going through the same arming cycle right now. Both are showing shrinking polar ice caps. So, someone who believes in this Global Warming crapola, tell me, how are we causing Mars to warm up too?

Simple answer, we are not causing warming on Mars OR Earth. The Sun is. The Sun goes through cycles of many different types. One of which is sun spots. As someone else pointed out, the sun recently went through a period of extreme sun spot inactivity. The last of which resulted in a mini-Ice Age. We had 12 consecutive months with no sun spots.

We had a period of higher activity on the Sun prior to the 12 months of none.

The Sun is responsible for the climate, the weather and life on Earth.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Global Warming? Are you kidding me? Yesterday the high here was -17. We spent all day digging our cars out of the driveway and trying to get them to start.

All of those who say the planet is warming up need to come hang out here in NoDak for a weeknd!
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...

Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I hear you there. Last spring we had like 3 FEET of snow on Easter. And it was COLD COLD COLD last winter. This year hasn't been too bad so far, but Oct was 20degrees colder than normal. Global warming...SURE....
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I was sweating in my car at 1PM monday,at 3 pm I was shivering,I think we got that cold front that is freezing the rest of the country it dropped from the high 70,s to the 40,s in a couple hours
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

How long have we been studying climate with the sophisticated equipment that we currently have?

Not too long ago, the smallest thing was the atom.
    A few years back it was discovered that the atom was actually made up of even smaller parts.
    And more recently it has been discovered that those smaller parts, have smaller parts yet.

As science develops, and technology improves we will discover things - things that have ALWAYS been there - we just didn't know it yet.

Our ability to truly study, understand and explain weather patterns over hundreds or even thousands of years is still fairly limited. We don't really know "beyond a shadow of a doubt" how long the ice age lasted, or when it actually ended.

We have rough ideas - but no absolutely positive proof. So, this whole global warming/global cooling thing - my guess is we will be having this "debate" for the next couple hundred years.

The real problem is we have some opportunistic people in office who will take advantage of everyone who believes simply because someone in authority says so; and we (read this, they) will be herded like sheep into the slaughter house and bow down to their task master's unthinkingly, unknowingly - just like Hitler did to the first group of Jews. After the first group of trusting souls, the rest finally got a clue - but the damage was done, and millions lost their lives over it.

Remember the "gas shortage" of the '70's? Hmmm...been 30+ years, and we still got lots of gas left.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

I think the key here is to make sure your firearms work in all kinds of weather. Thus, it is of the utmost importance to rush to your favorite ammo acquisition outlet and then to your favorite ammo discharging range to make sure everything works regardless of the climate. In other words, the global warming nuts have give us another reason to head to the range! An added benefit is that it stimulates the economy at the same time.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    I think the key here is to make sure your firearms work in all kinds of weather. Thus, it is of the utmost importance to rush to your favorite ammo acquisition outlet and then to your favorite ammo discharging range to make sure everything works regardless of the climate. In other words, the global warming nuts have give us another reason to head to the range! An added benefit is that it stimulates the economy at the same time.
    +1 Here! Here!
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

We don't really know "beyond a shadow of a doubt" how long the ice age lasted, or when it actually ended.
    Rings of a tree show individual seasons of growth. But, so far as I know, trees lay down another layer each season, without exception. Hence, one can count them and be assured it's a complete record of the number of years that tree has been alive.

Ice packs aren't so lucky. If the claimed catastrophic melting of ice packs is a hallmark of such heating trends, then ice layers disappear and take the purported "unbroken history" along with them. On this basis, alone, it seems to me there are a few holes in the story yet to be filled. (Sort of like a still photo, which cannot clearly show the context in which that photo was taken.)

The real question is: will well-packed cases of 9x19mm and .308 last through the next ice age?

18*F this morning. No snow, today, but ice all over the place. Crisp and clean air. Got to love the autumn.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I won't take a position on this one, but I will point out that it's global climate change that they're concerned about. Not just a warming trend. Too cold, too hot, too many extremes.
    I will its a scam, my guess is to get global control of energy, we simple people will just waist our resources if we dont have some sort of government controls.

Last year the planet was coldest in 50 years, record snow fall in many locations. You cant have it both ways if there is a cause then there will be an effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links