It is a Martial Art.

This is a discussion on It is a Martial Art. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; (Warning: The Muse hit me, but I think she was half drunk, so please forgive the bad writting. I just wanted to put to cyberpaper ...

Thread: It is a Martial Art.

VIP Member

Post It is a Martial Art.

(Warning: The Muse hit me, but I think she was half drunk, so please forgive the bad writting. I just wanted to put to cyberpaper some thoughst about this subject)

Martial
    Pronunciation: 'mär-sh&l
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from Latin martialis of Mars, from Mart-, Mars
    1 : of, relating to, or suited for war or a warrior
    (Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

First, let me say that I do not intend to disparage what is traditionally known as Martial Arts. They are great disciplines and had helped many people through centuries. But I want to concentrate on the fact that those of us involved in defensive-combat shooting are also involved in a Martial Art but somehow we seem shy or we don’t even think it as a Martial Art.

Maybe it is because ours is relatively a modern art compared to the many centuries the traditional Martial Arts have. But if you observe carefully, there is not much difference in between them. Both are based in the principle of defending against a foe. Both require individual dedication and a tight discipline to become good at it and both require a great measure of mental work.

Traditional Martial Arts base their training on Kata, which is defined as “a set combination of positions and movements (as in karate) performed as an exercise.” We all have seen black belts and masters perform those movements and are amazed at the grace and power they transmit. But we ourselves have our own “Katas” like a proper drawing of a handgun from concealment, Dry Firing, Slicing the Pie, Tactical Reloads, etc. and the key to get good in both Arts is discipline and constant repetition. Both have Senseis that will train a student from the basic techniques of the Art (A local NRA Instructor or a Sensei from the neighborhood Kung Fu academy) to the most advanced and lethal whether it was Jigoro Kano or Col. Jeff Cooper.

There are other things in common, but one thing is very different. While Traditional Martial Arts require good physical shape and a great many years to begin to be proficient at them, Modern Martial Arts (I like this name, I hope it is not taken for something else.) can be learned in a relatively short time and it is not dependant on physical conditioning or even a decent health to be able to defend yourself and only the most drastic of physical and mental disabilities can stop a person from operating a firearm. In a sense, Modern Martial Arts are democratic in its learning and usage.

We have a right to feel proud of being apprentices, students, teachers and masters of this Modern Martial Art. We are creating our own mysticism every day when we share with each other techniques, comments and tales of those who have used a firearm in defense of their lives or the Country. Next time, when somebody asks you if you practice a Martial Art you can respond with pride: “Yes, I shoot and I am a tactical belt.”
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - well now I can claim my ''tactical belt (not sure what color - brown might be about it!).

I guess it is true that we folks who carry and train - do in fact excercize a martial art, in as much as we employ a fighting skill, even if not hand to hand in accepted sense.

It deserves its own name - ''Gobango''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Haha - well now I can claim my ''tactical belt (not sure what color - brown might be about it!).

It deserves its own name - ''Gobango''
    Good one!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    You should register Gobango.com ASAP!

You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Assistant Administrator
    Guess what Miggy!! I couldn't get the dot com - already taken but I got the dot net.

Haha - I may add that as a sub domain on a server and put up some stuff re CCW etc. Never know
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    OK People! Fess up! Who stole the dot com from P95? I see a lawsuit coming for squatting!

I did a quick Whois and it is registred to a brit who is not using it. Must be forbidden by the antigun laws there. But it expires in may of this year.
    Randy Cain.

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhh - didn't bother with a whois - hmmm, maybe better keep watch later in case - tho no biggie.
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    I prefer to call it "GunFu".

Its is a martial art that trumps all others...

Good post Miggy, I've had a number of discussions (some that became fairly heated) on this topic. Usually with "martial-artists" who don't believe in carrying weapons.

One of my CJ professors in college was a retired US Marshal and before that, a Marine. He related a story in which a person he was arresting threatened him by saying "stay away from me, I've got a black-belt." To which he responded: "So do I, but mine has a S&W hanging from it."
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Thanks kenpotex. If you ever feel like runining an intellectual party that you were forced to attend, go ahead and start this conversation piece: Most Classical Music concerts play music from the old classics composers like Mozart, Wagner and the such so, basically most Orchestras and Directors are just concieted and egomaniac versions of Ray Conniff.
    It is fun to see them "Intellectuals" roll around in the ground fighting.

Back to the original thread. I thought afterwards that both disciplines also have funny ways to dress: The Traditionals have their kimonos and the Modern have Cover Garments.
    Randy Cain.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    "GOBANGO,GUNFU, love 'em both. Go with it! -------

Links