OK, It's Official This Time, We're Moving, Tell Me About Iowa

This is a discussion on OK, It's Official This Time, We're Moving, Tell Me About Iowa within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I started a couple of threads a while ago regarding some different states, Indiana and Colorado... Well this time it's official, I have accepted ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK, It's Official This Time, We're Moving, Tell Me About Iowa

JD [OP]
    Administrator

OK, It's Official This Time, We're Moving, Tell Me About Iowa

So I started a couple of threads a while ago regarding some different states, Indiana and Colorado...

Well this time it's official, I have accepted a position in Iowa, it was either there or WI and "May" issue is better than NO issue IMHO, so Iowa it is.

We're looking at moving to Marshall County in the next two months, which according to IowaCarry.Org is pretty much a "Shall issue" county as far as Iowa goes.

So, like the title says, tell me about Iowa.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I hope you like corn!!!!!

OK I've only been to Iowa twice and through it several times so I should just shut up now and wait for some one to say something useful.

Congrats on the new job
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Its closer to TX than VA, so that is a move in the right direction

I have several coworkers who live in Council Bluffs, and we talk guns all the time. But to warn you, if you two don't have at least 5 tattoos between you I think you will stick out like a sore thumb, from what I have seen when I have gone there.

Congrats on the new job, good luck and God speed.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Flat Flat Flat
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

People still live in Iowa?!?!

-JT

After you get all your stuff packed up and hit the road take a little side trip to KY and you wont want to go any further.

I think it is rule that you need to have some teeth removed to fit in.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    OK guys, while this thread is in OT/H, the stupid comments can cease anytime.

Iowa is actually a very nice state--although it has a way to go on removing infringements on the RKBA. And, contrary to popular belief, it is not all flat as a pancake. Around Council Bluffs it's rather hilly, and along the Mississippi it is as well. There is a lot of very nice landscape around the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area, as well.

I lived in Iowa for most of my early adulthood, going to college there and working for 4.5 years in Des Moines. BTW--I think Des Moines is a pretty cool town. Not huge, but a lot of the "good" things that larger cities have, and a great blues festival every summer. Some good restaurants and clubs. Nice folks, for the most part.

I think you will like Iowa. It's very much a good ol' heart-of-America kind of place. They just need some work on ridding themselves of the restrictions on RKBA...

Congrats on the new job JD!

Sorry you won't be moving to my home state of Indiana, but glad you have a new position to look forward to.

I have been through Iowa a few times and though I don't know much about the laws and such, I know it is pretty flat, so good sight lines incase anyone is trying to sneak up on you, and it gets pretty cold in the winter.

I hope the move and new job works out for you and Lima and Garrett.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

What part of Iowa. I know Council Bluffs has the college World Series each year, and a pretty nifty looking water park. Also if you trek the long road to Omaha (about 2 miles) there is an awesome coffee shop in Old Town called Aromas. Great espresso and they also make Turkish and vacume pot coffee, and down the street is a great pizza joint "Old Chicago" IIRC.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

You are certainly a man on the move - congrats on the new job. Certainly gets a lot of snow there and like you already know, it's a may issue state. I"ve been through there a few times since I live in MO. and seems like a nice state to raise a family. Good luck to you & your family on the move.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Marshall County is more in the central area, about an hour NE of Des Moines.

I've got a gun club in town with an in-door range, two IDPA leagues, one to the east, and one to the west....can't beat that, and a couple of out door ranges in the area as well.

Lima is from WI and I'm from MI, so we're not concerned with the weather.

And for all those that want to make jokes...

Cost of living is lower and I'm looking at a good raise and better benefits, if someone can point out better options in this economy, I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Marshall County is more in the central area, about an hour NE of Des Moines.

I've got a gun club in town with an in-door range, two IDPA leagues, one to the east, and one to the west....can't beat that, and a couple of out door ranges in the area as well.

Lima is from WI and I'm from MI, so we're not concerned with the weather.

And for all those that want to make jokes...

Cost of living is lower and I'm looking at a good raise and better benefits, if someone can point out better options in this economy, I'm all ears.
    All joking aside, that sounds great. Having just lost my job (for the second time during the holiday season...ugh), I envy you your new opportunity.

But seriously...people still live in Iowa?!?!

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Cost of living is lower and I'm looking at a good raise and better benefits, if someone can point out better options in this economy
    Certainly can't beat that, again congrats to you and the family.

-Paco

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links