This sucked

This sucked

This is a discussion on This sucked within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.aviationexplorer.com/a6_engine_ingestion.htm...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This sucked

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

one airman who slept through safety briefing.

Assistant Administrator
    IIRC so I read - he survived - but I find that hard to believe.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yea I've seen that a few times on like real T.V. or caught on tape, something like that. I couldn't believe it then and I still can't believe it now that the guy survived. That just show's you the amazing power jets produce.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Didn't make it

Assistant Administrator
    Oh my - no way anyone would survive that. Those are humungous engines - the intake is way bigger than a guy and thrust is awesome.
    Mechanic sucked into jet engine
    Fatal accident occurred as aircraft prepared to fly to Houston

Monday, January 16, 2006; Posted: 5:55 p.m. EST (22:55 GMT)

-- A mechanic standing near a Boeing 737 at El Paso International Airport in Texas was sucked into one of the engines and killed Monday, officials said.

Continental Airlines Flight 1515 was preparing to take off for Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston when "a maintenance-related engine run-up of the right-hand engine" was carried out, said Roland Herwig, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration's southwest region in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

"Someone on the ground was sucked into the engine," he said.

In a written statement, Continental Chairman and CEO Larry Kellner said the person killed was a mechanic who worked for one of the airline's suppliers.

"My fellow coworkers and I extend our heartfelt sympathies to the family and friends of the mechanic involved in this tragic event," Kellner said.

The 737-500 was carrying 114 passengers and five crew members at the time of the accident, he said.

"Continental is coordinating assistance for passengers who need help dealing with this tragedy," Kellner said. "Continental's Employee Assistance Program team is also flying to El Paso to meet with employees."

He said the incident occurred during a maintenance check in preparation for the plane's departure.

A spokeswoman for Boeing said Monday's incident is not the first such accident. "It doesn't happen very often," spokeswoman Liz Verdier said. "It has happened in the past."

Either way, she said, the responsibility lies with Continental: "The airlines are responsible for their safety procedures."

The National Transportation Safety Board has sent a team of investigators from its office in Denver, Colorado, Herwig said.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Havnt people seen die hard 2 where the guy got sucked though and shreded.

im surprised the first guy lived to

That video has been out for quite a few years, "Non fatal" I was amazed and had to replay it in slow (vhs) mo. Seems that the military has some kind of bars in the intake to prevent injestion, which brings up the point of if they have installe the bars, just how many times has this happed?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Moderator
    The military does not have bars on its intakes.

This is a very real danger that is repeated at least a couple of times a year on various aircraft carriers. Everyone on the flightdeck is constantly aware of the danger. Another danger is being blown off of the deck into the water by a jet exhuast. It usally happens as a jet is turning to be lined up for the catapault. If it happens at night it is often a death sentance.

The video of military aircraft mishaps had an interview with the surviving ground crewman. He said that he caught on the steel bars in the intake, and the vacum from the engine sucked his helmet and shoes off, that was the flash as the engine digested this stuff, so there must be something there or he would have been shreded just like his gear.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Moderator
    Probably a frame support. Some jets have them and some jets can adjust their intake size though the means of enlarging or diminishing their intakes depending on their altitude and speed.

The do have guards on them when they are sitting around to minimize FOD. These guards come off before they fire up the engines.

According to the description his clothing caught on a probe which protrudes into the intake which stopped him, preventing him from entering the completely exposed Inlet Guide Vanes of the J-52 engine on the A-6 Aircraft. The Flash and engine destruction resulted from his Flight Deck Helmet with Goggles and Mickey Mouse Ears going into the compressor. I spent eleven years on flight decks and witnessed another instance where a man was sucked into an RF8G Photo Crusader and survived (One of my aircraft.) The many other instances that occurred while I was on the Deck were not as lucky, and were invariably messily fatal. As for the movie incident where someone was sucked in, chewed up and spit out - CAN'T HAPPEN, only in the movies. Sorta like the unlimited round revolvers in the old westerns.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    The military does not have bars on its intakes.

This is a very real danger that is repeated at least a couple of times a year on various aircraft carriers. Everyone on the flightdeck is constantly aware of the danger. Another danger is being blown off of the deck into the water by a jet exhuast. It usally happens as a jet is turning to be lined up for the catapault. If it happens at night it is often a death sentance.
    It is a real danger, and we are very aware of it. Yes and no. Are jets don't have intake screens when they fly, but when we're doing maintenance runs we put them on. What's really funny to watch is when someone walks into the exhaust. They look like human tumbleweeds!
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

A1C - Human Tumbleweeds are "FUNNY?", Being broken up is FUNNY? Being smashed into aircraft or equipment behind the operating aircraft is FUNNY? Being blown over the side is FUNNY? I pray that you never enjoy such hilarity personally.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I was aboard the carrier USS America (CVA-66) from January1968-August 1971. We had a few "near misses" like this, but no one ever was ingested. I looked down the intakes of F4J's, A7 Corsairs, A6 Intruders, and A5 Banshees(supersonic recon aircraft), but never saw any bars of any type.

One of the previous posts mentioned the danger of being blown off deck. That did happen several times during both night and day. The biggest danger to that was being sucked into the condenser intakes below the water line which was part of the cooling the spent steam in the propulsion system.

Our "Angels Squadron"--the rescue helicopters were on station (just aft and to starboard and port sides of the ship) any time we had flight operations and typically had someone picked up in less than 2-3 minutes. Everyone on deck wore inflatable life preservers under their "work vest" and also had a small flashlight type device that strobed when activated. The exhaust blast from those jets not only was powerful, but needless to say very hot. That's the reason that the blast deflectors that come up behind launching aircraft had 400 gpm of cooling water running through them. It was a bit undesirable to be "blasted" by those jets...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links