Am I legally obligated?

This is a discussion on Am I legally obligated? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That sign (on every Cox office I've seen) is why I pay my bill by mail. In Kansas, that is the required signage and to ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I legally obligated?

That sign (on every Cox office I've seen) is why I pay my bill by mail. In Kansas, that is the required signage and to walk past it is an immediate crime.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

It's multilingual...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Only problem is that is likely to be the ONLY one.

Thats the way it is here.
    Dish Network: 800 333 DISH

Senior Moderator
    Funny you should mention that.
    I live far enough out that I cant even get cable.
    My only choice is satellite.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    If it went before a Judge, He might say a picture is worth a thousand words.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    If it went before a Judge, He might say a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Very true, and the picture says no semi automatic pistols, doesn't say a think about revolvers or derringers!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Nope that sign doesn't mean anything in Texas, but since the question was asked about AR, I am going to agree with Hotguns.

When in AR and I see that sign, I don't go in there with a handgun, even though I dont' own a 92 Berretta. AR does not have a law that is as specific as TX as to what a legal sign is. The message is clearly conveyed in that gunbuster sign.

Stay legal, mail the check or use direct draft.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

It may pass as a "written" sign. Many international signs are intentionally this way, for those that are either illiterate, or cannot understand English as a written language.

There are many definitions of the word "written", and I came up with quite a few here:
    define: written - Google Search

My (non-legal), but educated opinion is that the sign "says" just what we think it says; "no guns allowed".

I'm not questioning whether or not the poster has the right to ban guns, just that a court might define that sign as "written".

My 2 cents.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    It may pass as a "written" sign. Many international signs are intentionally this way, for those that are either illiterate, or cannot understand English as a written language.

There are many definitions of the word "written", and I came up with quite a few here:
    define: written - Google Search

My (non-legal), but educated opinion is that the sign "says" just what we think it says; "no guns allowed".

I'm not questioning whether or not the poster has the right to ban guns, just that a court might define that sign as "written".

My 2 cents.
    What.......are you preparing us for the UN (international takeover)?

Okay folks. I am a bit surprised, and I did in fact get a reply same day out of my state's regulatory office. You may think it interesting...and maybe confusing. But I do know where I personally stand now at this point in time. In response to my e-mail stated as such:

General question about concealed carry and posted signs and the way the law reads. Am I legally obligated in any way to decipher or obey a sign such as this?

What I read from the Arkansas state law:
    In
    addition to the places enumerated in this section, the carrying of a concealed
    handgun may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or
    entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the
    placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than
    ten (10) feet that the @carrying of a handgun is prohibited.@ Provided no sign
    shall be required for private homes and any licensee entering a private home
    shall notify the occupants that he is carrying a concealed handgun.
    Thank you.

The response: BTW....(kinda) just means we are talking about Arkansas here...just in case there were any questions about that. This is from the Arkansas State Police regulatory commission for CCW.

It kinda depends on where the sign is posted.

If it is posted in an enumerated prohibited place (ACA 5-73-306 #1-18) or a private home (#19), then yes persons with Arkansas concealed handgun carry licenses must abide by it.

If the sign, without the correct sizing and wording (from ACA 5-73-306) is posted, then the sign does not comply with the concealed handgun carry law and does not appear to become a prohibited place under ACA 5-73-306(19).

The sign brings up questions. Does that bar police officers on-duty from carrying in there? Do they intend to keep out CHCL holder or just gang bangers?

It is also possible to be charged with Carrying a Weapon under ACA 5-73-120. That would be up to the prosecutor.

And of course the proprietor can always remove you from their premises.
    HotGuns...you there? I have a clear conscience this evening. I'll sleep well, and I have something in black and white.

I think we need a test case. I wonder if anyone will volunteer. It would keep the lawyers and courts busy for awhile, and maybe a precedent could be set.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I think we need a test case. I wonder if anyone will volunteer. It would keep the lawyers and courts busy for awhile, and maybe a precedent could be set.
    You posted while I was posting. In the right circumstances with possibilities of good outcomes, I'd be more than willing to spend some time for a misdemeanor in order to ruffle the feathers. That's just me though. Court cases are based on technicalities. I figure if the technicalities are cleared up, then things will become less technical for me and possibly others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I figure if the technicalities are cleared up, then things will become less technical for me and possibly others.
    That's sounds like a politician speaking. But, maybe someone will ignore the sign and get caught, and provide the ammunition, so to speak.

Sorry for stepping on your post.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

That's sounds like a politician speaking. But, maybe someone will ignore the sign and get caught, and provide the ammunition, so to speak.

Sorry for stepping on your post.
    You didn't step on my post at all, I just entered mine and found a new one after the fact. Might know....we're quick on the draw around here, and that's a good thing. Means we are paying attention. I might have been a politician, but I figure it's more fun on the outside, AND I get to keep my current reputation! Maybe I feel a sense of activism here...or it could be termed my search for defiance....I don't exactly know. But what I do know is that I'll walk in that office next time with no doubts and a clear conscience. Heck....I've already done it once. But then again that's just here-say for all intents and purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Heck....I've already done it once. But then again that's just here-say for all intents and purposes.
    Of course, because we do not condone any illegal activity!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links