The Brit noose tightens it seems!

This is a discussion on The Brit noose tightens it seems! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Snagged this from THR - emphasis mine. Banning guns is supposed to do all that - n'est pas? http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/ca...60116sam.shtml The Express & Echo in Exeter ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Brit noose tightens it seems!

Assistant Administrator

Snagged this from THR - emphasis mine. Banning guns is supposed to do all that - n'est pas?

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/ca...60116sam.shtml
    The Express & Echo in Exeter is calling for samurai swords to be banned, after a local man was stabbed to death in the street.

The newspaper wants the government to stop the sale of the swords, with an exemption for licensed groups.

It is not currently illegal to buy a sword, only to carry it in public.

And a day after Sidmouth man Bradley Moran admitted killing 33-year-old Matthew Stiling by stabbing him through the heart with the 18-inch blade of a samurai sword, an Echo reporter discovered how easy it is to buy one unchecked from an Exeter shop.

Journalist David Edbrooke paid 120 for a sword with a 2.5ft sharpened blade, and said it was "as easy as buying a lotto ticket".

Echo editor Marc Astley said: "It is incredible that our reporter was able to buy such a terrifying weapon, no questions asked. I was shocked at just how sharp and heavy the blade is.

"Although they are supposed to be for ceremonial use the sword we purchased was lethal. There is no excuse for this sort of thing to be sold to anyone but licensed organisations and we will be pursuing our campaign with vigour."

David said: "Buying the sword was almost as easy as purchasing a pack of sweets.

"I simply went into the shop, saw two sheathed samurai swords hanging above the counter and asked to look at one.

"After giving it a quick inspection, I offered my credit card up and that was that.

"The only other requirement asked of me was to write my name and address in a little black book that the shop kept.

"I found it staggering that I was able to go into a city centre shop and in a matter of minutes walk out with such a dangerous, offensive weapon - I've spent more time in my local newsagents picking numbers for the lottery or buying a bag of marshmallows than I did buying the sword."

The campaign has been backed by Devon & Cornwall Police and Exeter Police as well as Matthew's family.

Marc added: "There will be some who argue that household knives could be as deadly as samurai swords.

"Try telling that to the family of Matthew Stiling.

"When his killer became aggrieved he didn't reach for the kitchen drawer, he armed himself with a weapon worth hundreds of pounds and murdered an innocent young man.

"The Echo accepts that some martial arts groups use such weapons innocently.

"We hope they will accept that calling for their sale to be restricted is sensible and reasonable.

"We will pursue this campaign to the bitter end and will be calling on Echo readers to play their part too.

"If that means that together we help prevent a single death or injury, it will have been worth it."
    Yeah - like bad guys ain't gonna get blades, make blades, fashion stuff from common tools - hell even a sharpend walking cane can be ''useful''. Oh dear me - Nanny Feelgood gets busy once more.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

kitchen Knifes are next to be banned

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Oh dear me - Nanny Feelgood gets busy once more.

The Horror...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    ban politicians , they are far more dangerous.

Lead Moderator
    Damn! Bud beat me to it. I was wondering if carving knives were still legal in the UK. Seems like table manners will be going to hell when you have to eat directly off the bone!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Great pic Rick - I have seen several ''versions'' of that one - just asks for photoshop ''tweaks'' LOL.

Carving knives yeah - well strikes me soon it'll be eating ''a la British Airways'' - all plastic silverware!

Seriously tho - I mean, haven't ''them upstairs'' realized that a small trip to hardware store - to buy some poly pipe, some long nails etc - could yield something akin to a medievil spiked bludgeon. Adjustable by amount od lead included in the tip!!!

There is no limiting the human ingenuity and - tho it sometimes seems forgotten - the bad guys when it comes to weapons, are about top of the heap for results!!
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

Doctors' kitchen knives ban call

Doctors say knives are too pointed
    A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.
    A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

The research is published in the British Medical Journal.

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.

They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.

None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.

The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs.

Kitchen knives can inflict appalling wounds

In contrast, a pointed long blade pierces the body like "cutting into a ripe melon".

The use of knives is particularly worrying amongst adolescents, say the researchers, reporting that 24% of 16-year-olds have been shown to carry weapons, primarily knives.

The study found links between easy access to domestic knives and violent assault are long established.

French laws in the 17th century decreed that the tips of table and street knives be ground smooth.

A century later, forks and blunt-ended table knives were introduced in the UK in an effort to reduce injuries during arguments in public eating houses.

The researchers say legislation to ban the sale of long pointed knives would be a key step in the fight against violent crime.

"The Home Office is looking for ways to reduce knife crime.

"We suggest that banning the sale of long pointed knives is a sensible and practical measure that would have this effect."

Government response

Home Office spokesperson said there were already extensive restrictions in place to control the sale and possession of knives.

"The law already prohibits the possession of offensive weapons in a public place, and the possession of knives in public without good reason or lawful authority, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding three inches.

"Offensive weapons are defined as any weapon designed or adapted to cause injury, or intended by the person possessing them to do so.

"An individual has to demonstrate that he had good reason to possess a knife, for example for fishing, other sporting purposes or as part of his profession (e.g. a chef) in a public place.

"The manufacture, sale and importation of 17 bladed, pointed and other offensive weapons have been banned, in addition to flick knives and gravity knives."

A spokesperson for the Association of Chief Police Officers said: "ACPO supports any move to reduce the number of knife related incidents, however, it is important to consider the practicalities of enforcing such changes."
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Has the entire island of Great Britain lost its collective mind?

As my wife just noted, "The cradle of all of our rights we cherish has lost its mind."

Well there ya go no kitchen knives soon

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - plastic ''silverware'' has to be brought in. Only state licenced chefs will be allowed the pre-ban carving knives, so as to be able to carve your meat in a restaurant.

For those at home - well - have to do best they can with hacksaw blades (until they too get banned).

The logging industry will probably soon be out of work - chainsaws will have to be banned and wood screw manufactures will be turning their attention to hex head screws only - screwdrivers will also soon be banned as will chisels. This will make traditional wood craft a thing of the past.

There's more - always will be!!
    Chris - P95

Both world wars they appealed to the U.S. for knives and guns. The next time they are invaded I think that when they yell HELP! our responce should be WHAT!

VIP Member
    I actually had to read this thread twice to believe it.

The grand nation of Great Britian has become so afraid of itself that for the first time since the Napoleonic Era....the French actually have a shot at beating them.

USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    It gets better or should I say worse:

"Butter knife 'an offensive weapon'"
    Britain's High Court has rejected an appeal by Charlie Brooker of Kent over his conviction for carrying a bladed instrument without good reason. Brooker's lawyer, Mark Hardie, argued that the butter knife in question "had no handle, sharp edges or points and therefore could not fall foul of a law intended to protect people from dangerous weapons", but the judges observed that the law by its terms did not confine itself to sharp or dangerous blades. "During the hearing, Mr. Hardie said the law would now catch even plastic knives restaurants and cafes supplied to customers with take-away food." (Duncan Gardham, Daily Telegraph, Apr. 14; John Aston, "Carrying A Butter Knife May Lead to Prosecution", The Scotsman, Apr. 13).
    Scotland: In a multi-point program aimed at reducing knife crime, First Minister Jack McConnell has proposed banning the sale of swords; introducing "a licensing scheme for retailers selling knives"; doubling, to four years, the maximum jail term for possessing an offensive weapon; giving police new powers of search and arrest; and raising the age limit for buying a knife to 18, from the current 16. ("Crackdown targets knife culture", BBC, Nov. 22). And in Yeovil, Somerset, police "have been accused of heavy handedness after arresting two young boys who were playing with toy guns." The boys, 11 and 13, were wearing Santa Claus and Frankenstein's-monster costumes and one of them sang the James Bond theme song as they pretended to shoot each other with the toys while rolling around on the floor at a youth club. "One of the boys was held in a cell for five hours." (Simon de Bruxelles, "Playing with toy gun puts boy, ll, in a cell", The Times (UK), Dec. 3).
    And I cannot find now an article about an old gent who used his cane to defend himself against some predators in London's Tube and got arreste for his trouble.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well I personaly am not worryed , I qualified with my tactical combat spork

What is happening actually makes sense to me. The British are subjects, not citizens. Seems like they already don't have the right to self-defense. So, they won't have anything to defend themselves with.
    Well, back to reading my "Art of the Spoon in Combat" book.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links