TV: Law & Order (Is it anti-gun).

This is a discussion on TV: Law & Order (Is it anti-gun). within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Lately I've had a little time on my hands, and all that has been on the tube I find interesting is Law & Order. Anyone ...

Thread: TV: Law & Order (Is it anti-gun).

TV: Law & Order (Is it anti-gun).

Lately I've had a little time on my hands, and all that has been on the tube I find interesting is Law & Order.

Anyone else find this program to be anti-gun?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Nope.

Only in the fact that the bad guys with guns are the problems. Nothing but truth there. I've been impressed by several episodes that dealt with second amendment issues.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Only in the fact that the bad guys with guns are the problems. Nothing but truth there. I've been impressed by several episodes that dealt with second amendment issues.
    To clarify, as you point out, guns always appear to be a problem. Even when used in SD, there is some quirk that makes the gun user do something wrong.

I know it is just good TV, so they need twists and turns, but I've yet to see a twist or turn where it turned out a good thing for the lawful CC.

JD
    Administrator
    I don't think I've ever seen an episode of L&O that dealt with legal concealed carry, maybe it has to do with the fact that it's based in NY, NY...

Then again, it's been a while since I watched TV in general, but when I was traveling I saw A LOT of L&O on TNT.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen an episode of L&O that dealt with legal concealed carry, maybe it has to do with the fact that it's based in NY, NY...

Then again, it's been a while since I watched TV in general, but when I was traveling I saw A LOT of L&O on TNT.
    Ya, being in NY...maybe that is it.

I've seen a few episodes that were anti gun. One where they went after gun manufacturers for "unsafe" guns. Another with "cop killer" bullets.
    Maybe that was just my take on it though. I'm a very sensitive person.

Michael

Actually I thought 2 recent episodes of SVU were "anti". Specifically the one where the woman was being beaten/ raped by her husband, and Liv setup the "stakeout" in the downstairs neighbors apartment. The husband was a registered gun owner. IIRC he ended up stabbing her....

The second episode was a week or so ago. Woman from upstate NY had been raped in hometown, moved to NYC. Rapist (pet informant of hometown sherriff) shows up to apologize and she runs him off- he ends up dead in NYC. Woman who had been raped was a gun owner and had done some competition (detectives noticed framed award on her wall). Much was made of this as a hometown deputy had supposedly given her a gun of the caliber that killed rapist. Ended up being the dirty sherriff who killed him.

Neither episode was overtly anti gun, but both were definitely borderline and gave the impression that people with guns aren't ont he up and up.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Also note that there is a subtlety about being a show that caters to a given demographic versus being one that has or is trying to promote a particular political view. I see L&O simply as a show that mirrors a lot of what goes on in real life including mirroring perspectives reflected in real life events...that supposedly make the show more "real." Given that not everyone in real life is pro gun or that not everyone in real life separates the gun from the crime all the time, then the show is doing a reasonable job of being reflexive to current events.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

I only watch SVU but I would not say that they are "anti" in any way, even if they are dealing with something that could be seen that way...... there is always a voice of reason or opposition to every political stance on SVU.

I thought so after watching the episode where the DA sued a manufacturer for producing the gun (a Mac-10 copy) that killed a victim. It was "especially deadly" or some other BS. Less overtly, it seems that every time the police deal with a gun dealer or other lawful owner, he's a tinfoil hat-wearing militia type or other shady character. Ordinary gun owning civilians are never portrayed as just regular everyday people on that show. Maybe it's just the setting of it, I don't know.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Every dealer I've seen is portrayed as a fringey nutcase or outright criminal, (and racist too) and every legally registered owner is considered a suspect until suspicion falls on someone else.

VIP Member
    Some episodes are very anti, but then as others have said:
    1. It is depicting NYC.
    2. It is TV entertainment.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The episode where McCoy tried to convict a gun manufacturer for a shooting spree done with one of their guns was the most "anti" I have seen from them, and even that was somewhat tempered by a couple of things.

First, everybody else involved in the case generally thought McCoy was pushing it too far, and McCoy did state clearly that his intent was to enact legislative change through the judiciary---thus, they made the issue an open debate as opposed to a more subversive fait accompli.

Second, the actual legal argument was not just that "guns cause crimes." McCoy was arguing that the company was deliberately marketing its guns on the premise of them being easily and readily modified (unlawfully) to full automatic, hence catering to a criminal element. Now, regardless of whether that would be a sustainable real world argument, at least they were trying to demonstrate actual, complicit negligence and criminal facilitation on the part of the manufacturer.

End result of the episode was that McCoy got the jury to return a guilty verdict but the judge set aside the jury result, based on McCoy having failed to meet the evidentiary standard that the judge set out before the trial started.

For the most part, I see the gun attitude in L&O probably being fairly accurate to the typical cop's or DA's attitude---they prosecute scumbags with guns, so they are used to thinking of guns as the tools of scumbags.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links