California: U.S. Marines to Staff Vehicle Checkpoint Along with Law Enforcement Agenc

This is a discussion on California: U.S. Marines to Staff Vehicle Checkpoint Along with Law Enforcement Agenc within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OPFOR I guess I'm just not ready to call for insurrection based on this blog...what can I say? You're not? Aren't you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: California: U.S. Marines to Staff Vehicle Checkpoint Along with Law Enforcement Agenc

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I guess I'm just not ready to call for insurrection based on this blog...what can I say?
    You're not? Aren't you afraid of the US military like many here? Since we have an Air Force Base here in Tucson I am keeping my eye out for those military folks. My rights! My rights!

Yes, only the awesome Ron Paul can save us.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The amusing thing (to me) was that this blog wasn't even originally from a Ron Paul site, it was from a DUI conspiracy theory web site that thinks DUI laws are the harbingers of doom... If the biggest thing that you've got to complain about is that the DUI laws are too tough, it may be time to go find a life.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    It's kind of ironic, we all have seen biased reporting from the media concerning guns, and we are quick to recognize it and criticize it. Here is a biased report attempting to appeal the conspiracy theorist out there and a lot of people out there suddenly shut their brains down and refuse to think for themselves.
    Ditto...how we ourselves are biased.

Someone has been watching the movie "Seven days in May" to much.

One point to add...as the economy continues a downward spiral and the tax base continues to erode, city govt's will fill the pinch to be able to pay local law enforcement...either with manpower or equipment. And who has the manpower and equipment to aid in tough times? We are in for some interesting times...but not unusual times.

Rick

National Guard to support presidential inauguration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools
    Printable story E-mail story

Subscribe now

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Lt. Col. Ellen Krenke
    National Guard Bureau

12/19/2008 - ARLINGTON, Va. (AFNS) -- More than 4,000 citizen Soldiers and Airmen from at least eight states will provide security, medical and other support during the Jan. 20 presidential inauguration, a National Guard official said Dec. 18.

"We will be there to fill the gaps and help out the first responders," Army Maj. Kenneth Napier, deputy director of the Deliberate Operations branch for the National Guard Bureau, said.

About half of the 4,000 personnel will be dedicated to security, including crowd control, civil-disturbance missions, manning traffic-control points and assisting with the screening process. "The states are planning and ready to support," Major Napier said. "Making sure that everyone is safe is the priority."

Air Force Gen. Victor E. Renuart Jr., commander of U.S. Northern Command, told reporters yesterday that another contingent on alert would be able to respond to a chemical attack.

In addition to marching units, bands and other ceremonial support, the National Guard will provide communication, medical evacuation and explosive ordnance disposal assets.

National Guard members and re-enactors from the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Regiment have been invited to march in the parade. The 54th represents the all-black regiment that fought in the Civil War and was memorialized in the movie "Glory."

"These organizations embody the best of our nation's history, diversity and commitment to service," President-elect Barack Obama said in a Dec. 8 statement. "Vice President-elect Biden and I are proud to have them join us in the parade."

The District of Columbia National Guard's efforts will be larger this time because of the expected crowds. "We will be involved in almost every facet of the operation," Officer Candidate Robert Albrecht, a spokesman for the D.C. Guard, said.

In addition to the Guard's on-the-ground missions, the 113th Wing at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., will lead the air-sovereignty effort through North American Aerospace Defense Command.

The D.C. Guard participated in a media event today with the Military District of Washington as well as the U.S. Park Police and other D.C.-area agencies involved in planning for the inauguration. General Renuart told reporters that it is "prudent" for the military to plan for the possibility of someone trying to interrupt the inauguration.

"And how well we respond will be defined by how well we trained," Major Napier said.

Earlier this year, the National Guard provided similar support to the Democratic and Republican national conventions, but only about 1,500 troops were involved in each of those missions. The size and scope of this mission is much bigger.

"I can't think of anything that we've done other than natural disasters that would be comparable to this operation," Major Napier said.

Comment on this story (comments may be published on Air Force Link)

^^ Not an example of a run-of-the-mill, local law enforcement responsibility. Protection of dignitaries during the handover of government from the current to next leader isn't something a few hundred police officers could sufficiently cover. Plus, it's in DC, which is a bit of a special case.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Plus, if the Guard units aren't federalized, then they may conduct any and all law enforcement activities that their Commander in Chief (i.e. the Governor) deems appropriate.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Plus, it's in DC, which is a bit of a special case.
    What??? Special cases???...it's alright if it is DC??? I didn't realize "special case(s)" were allowed...oops, maybe only if it fits one's agenda.

Regardless...troops have been used for years, whether guarding the boarders or dignataries, the skies to the sea. I'm glad they are there and I suspect many LEO agencies as well.

Rick

And they don't even bother with a "valid" excuse. "Sobriety Checkpoint" ??? Don't they have some fire or mud slide they can use to declare a disaster as a pretense?
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    And they don't even bother with a "valid" excuse. "Sobriety Checkpoint" ??? Don't they have some fire or mud slide they can use to declare a disaster as a pretense?
    Tell you what - the next time there's a natural disaster in your neck of the woods, make sure you tell the Guardsmen who show up with food and water, with generators, with clearing equipment, and with medical supplies that you'll have none of it - you know that they're just there under a pretext so they can secretely carry out their evil plan to take over the writing of speeding tickets, and you for one will not be fooled. You may die of dehydration, but you'll have smelled out the conspiracy, by gum!

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    What??? Special cases???...it's alright if it is DC??? I didn't realize "special case(s)" were allowed...oops, maybe only if it fits one's agenda.
    The District of Columbia is under Federal jurisdiction. It is not a state. It is absolutely different than the states as defined in the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    The District of Columbia is under Federal jurisdiction. It is not a state. It is absolutely different than the states as defined in the Constitution.
    So, what you are saying is the local LEOs in DC are infringing upon the feds/military...something along the lines of reversal of jurisdiction??

Oh the irony...but thanks for the clarification. :))

Rick

So, what you are saying is the local LEOs in DC are infringing upon the feds/military...something along the lines of reversal of jurisdiction??
    No, no one is infringing on anyone. The military and local LE can and do work to help one another. This is not a competition.

I am concerned that so many think the military is the enemy. They are on our side. They are under civilian command. I am eternally thankful for the job they do wherever and whenever their missions take them.

Senior Moderator
    National Guard to support presidential inauguration
    They were there in 1997 as well. Probably in 2001, but I only have first-hand knowledge about 1997, as I was there with an EMS unit.

Even more shockingly, the military provided assistance for the visit of Pope John Paul II to Baltimore in 1995.

The conspiracy just gets deeper and deeper.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    85mi away from the base, as the nearest points of San Bernardino Cty. are, isn't "policing their own."

Unknown what the exact justification or rationalization is for this exercise. But, 100mi from base and seemingly having nothing whatsoever to do with the regional Camp Pendleton's presence, it's appropriate for citizens to ask questions about whether the exercise is military or law enforcement and, if military are involved, why.

To be fair, it's unknown where the soliders are based. San Bernardino Cty. is a big one. They could easily be from Twenty-Nine Palms MAB, Edwards AFB, Fort Irwin or a number of smaller installations in the region, all within the edges of this large County. Hard to say, as the article only indicates the DUI actions were in "unincorporated areas" of the county.
    This is ultimately about safety and not in anyway about desensitizing the civilian populace to a military presence.

The news article linked below, and in a previous post, identifies the location of the checkpoint as at the Home Depot in Yucca Valley, CA. KESQ.com Palm Springs, Coachella Valley - Weather, News, Sports: Joint CHP-Marine Corps Checkpoint Raises Suspicions

The link below indicates the distance from the MCB 29-Palms to the Home Depot. Yes, this probably has nothing to do with MCB Pendleton.from: Adobe Rd to: 58705 29 Palms Hwy, Yucca Valley, CA - Google Maps This 25/26 mile distance is nothing for those living in the area or stationed at the base and is often driven for "milk and cookies."

The location is on 29-Palms Hwy (Hwy 62) the prime thoroughfare from the 29-Palms MCB to Palm Springs and other SoCal points of interest. While there are other routes, they are circuitous and generally involve poorly maintained desert roads and/or dirt roads.

As a Marine who drove this roads in both impaired and sober conditions, I view the checkpoint is a safety measure. Speeds tend toward high on 29-Palms Hwy. This road has claimed more than a few lives - civilian and military - in the years since I first traveled it.

The checkpoint location is near the eastern Yucca Valley city limits and the congestion of the shopping area. Additionally, outside the western limits of Yucca Valley there are two steep grades that have proven quite deadly over the years.

Over the years Marines have complained of treatment by local law enforcement. (In my younger days, I complained about the National Park Officers/Rangers at the Joshua Tree National Monument - now National Park.) I don't know how the other Services view things, but those of us in the Naval Services do "police our own." Having a Marine there "balances" the actions of the other LEO's and provides a witness to their correct actions - Public Relations, if you will.

I have never witnessed an MP take custody of a civilian except if they were on base or in an area of military authority. (There are/were 2 housing areas in the town of 29 Palms that were military housing with, as I understood, joint jurisdiction with civilian LEO authorities.) However, I have seen them take custody of a military member and return them to base. Often discipline/punishment can be meted out by the military that does not result in a civilian record. I do not condone any protection or shielding of a military member from responsibility for their actions, but some infractions - not involving loss of life, injury, or property damage - should not destroy a young warrior's military career or their future in or out of uniform.

Finally, the story broke on the area radio station ( KCDZ 107.7FM, Joshua Tree, California) that has a local reputation for making mountains out of mole hills. Award-winning and accurate news, but often sensationalized. I think the story grew out of proportion based on the reporting style and a continuing desire to win awards.

What's going on? From the KCDZ web site today (emphasis is mine):

MARINE BASE COMMANDING GENERAL TELLS YUCCA VALLEY TOWN COUNCIL WE HAVE A TRAFFIC PROBLEM
    THE COMMANDING GENERAL OF THE 29 PALMS MARINE BASE SAYS WE HAVE A TRAFFIC PROBLEM, DRIVERS GOING TOO FAST AND DRIVING AGGRESSIVELY AND DANGEROUSLY. HE TOLD THE YUCCA VALLEY TOWN COUNCIL RECENTLY THAT THE CIVILIAN LAWN ENFORCEMENT AND MILITARY NEED TO WORK TOGETHER TO CONTROL THE PROBLEM -----
    A PACKED YUCCA ROOM HEARD FROM TWENTYNINE PALMS COMMANDING GENERAL, BRIGADIER GENERAL MARK GURGANUS AT A RECENT YUCCA VALLEY TOWN COUNCIL MEETING, WITH THE GENERAL SAYING I "HAVE A SAFETY MESSAGE FOR YOU". SPEAKING ABOUT TRAFFIC SAFETY, GENERAL GURGANUS SAID WHEN HE FIRST ARRIVED TO THE AREA AND BEGAN POURING THROUGH OLD STATISTICS AND ISSUES EFFECTING THE BASE, HE WAS STARTLED TO FIND "THE NUMBER OF TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS AND DEATHS ON HIGHWAY 62." FORCE PROTECTION IS THE HIS NUMBER 1 PRIORITY THE GENERAL SAID, ADDING THAT HE HAS THE ISSUE WELL IN HAND ON BASE, BUT REMAINS CONCERNED FOR THOSE LIVING OFF BASE WHO DRIVE STATE ROUTE 62 TO BASE. THE GENERAL WENT ON TO EXPLAIN THE BASES PARTNERSHIP WITH BOTH THE COUNTY SHERIFF AND HIGHWAY PATROL TO REDUCE DRIVING RISKS, AND HAS ASKED LAW ENFORCEMENT TO SHOW NO MERCY FOR ANYONE ONE DRIVING RECKLESSLY OR UNDER THE INFLUENCE. ENDING HIS ADDRESS, GENERAL GURGANUS HAD THIS REQUEST, "WHAT I ASK OF THE CITIZENS OF YUCCA VALLEY IS YOU PARTNER WITH US TO TARGET YOUR IDIOTS, I’LL TAKE CARE OF MINE."
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PackerBackerToo; December 20th, 2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Add .mp3 clip of radio news reporting MCB CG comments to YV Town Council

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I'm not a Ron Paul supporter (I certainly didn't support Obama either), but I know enough to know that it's a violation of the Posse Comitatus Act.
    No, it's NOT!

The Posse Comitatus Act prohibits the use of the ARMY to enforce civil laws. It does not prohibit the use of any other branch of the armed forces to do so.

FYI, the marines are a branch of the US Navy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links