California: U.S. Marines to Staff Vehicle Checkpoint Along with Law Enforcement Agenc

This is a discussion on California: U.S. Marines to Staff Vehicle Checkpoint Along with Law Enforcement Agenc within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This can't be good. I wish people would realize this is illegal. California: U.S. Marines to Staff Vehicle Checkpoint Along with Law Enforcement Agencies | ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California: U.S. Marines to Staff Vehicle Checkpoint Along with Law Enforcement Agenc

California: U.S. Marines to Staff Vehicle Checkpoint Along with Law Enforcement Agenc

NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Most people will never realize this is illegal until it too late. They are preparing us for martial law. As a solider this disappoints me. A lot of what is going on they are doing it right in front of the American public's face. There was an operation like this in Swansboro, NC as well
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I'm not a Ron Paul supporter (I certainly didn't support Obama either), but I know enough to know that it's a violation of the Posse Comitatus Act.

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm.

Could there be a reason why the Marine MPs might be involved? Might there be, perhaps, a very large Marine Corps installation in the area?

Like, perhaps, Camp Pendleton?

Naaah - it has to be a dark, sinister conspiracy which only the awesomeness of Ron Paul could uncover and save us from.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Hmmm.

Could there be a reason why the Marine MPs might be involved? Might there be, perhaps, a very large Marine Corps installation in the area?

Like, perhaps, Camp Pendleton?

Naaah - it has to be a dark, sinister conspiracy which only the awesomeness of Ron Paul could uncover and save us from.

Matt
    Hmm. Does proximity of a large federal military training ground provide legitimate grounds for ignoring posse comitatus for local law enforcement activities?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Hmm. Does proximity of a large federal military training ground provide legitimate grounds for ignoring posse comitatus for local law enforcement activities?
    Of course not, but although that is what is being read into this situation, I have seen nothing presented that indicated that the Marine personnel involved are enforcing the law.

The MPs do have legitimate jurisdiction over any military personnel who might be identified in the checkpoint as being intoxicated, do they not?

Can you show me anything that says the MPs are being asked or allowed to handle law enforcement activities involving civilians?

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

As a Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune NC I would often see MP's with local LEO's patrolling the bars and strip clubs looking for rabble-risers. Of course I was not one of them.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Based on what I was able to quickly find on the Posse Comitatus Act, it wouldn't be illegal as long as the Marines aren't arresting anyone. They can 'observe' all day long. According to the Lieutenant quoted in this news article that's exactly what they were doing. I'll agree that it seems like a step in the wrong direction though.

Brian

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    As a Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune NC I would often see MP's with local LEO's patrolling the bars and strip clubs looking for rabble-risers. Of course I was not one of them.
    As a sailor , I was one of those that SP's in uniform working along with the MP's and LEO's. BUT... We were looking out for our own, not singling out the civilians.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    Not the least bit unusual. Military LEOs/authorities often "police their own" outside of the bases; there is no conspiracy/martial law/apocalypse in the wings just because a few Marines are looking for other Marines who might be driving drunk.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Not the least bit unusual. Military LEOs/authorities often "police their own" outside of the bases ...
    85mi away from the base, as the nearest points of San Bernardino Cty. are, isn't "policing their own."

Unknown what the exact justification or rationalization is for this exercise. But, 100mi from base and seemingly having nothing whatsoever to do with the regional Camp Pendleton's presence, it's appropriate for citizens to ask questions about whether the exercise is military or law enforcement and, if military are involved, why.

To be fair, it's unknown where the soliders are based. San Bernardino Cty. is a big one. They could easily be from Twenty-Nine Palms MAB, Edwards AFB, Fort Irwin or a number of smaller installations in the region, all within the edges of this large County. Hard to say, as the article only indicates the DUI actions were in "unincorporated areas" of the county.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I guess I'd better not tell you what I did with JTF-6 back in the early 90s, then...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I guess I'd better not tell you what I did with JTF-6 back in the early 90s, then...
    Not if it was mundane, basic law enforcement like DUI checkpoints. The whole point of the separation is to keep the citizens from living in a militarized state. Militarize a checkpoint and you can get something very, very different. Spread that across the country, and you've effectively got military rules dictating behavior. Whatever the purpose of JTF-6 and similar groups, the concern is justified. Looks like JTF-6 has a very important role to play, when S truly HTF. Just, not for standard local law enforcement activities.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I guess I just don't see the threat here. We have one blog, not even an article, that is very short on facts and very long on speculation and fear-mongering. We have Marines working with police (which is, as I said before, not really unusual - local police often help train military LEOs and share their TTPs).

Marines are manning checkpoints all over the world right now - is it any wonder that they might like to learn how the cops do it? Is there a training event or other concentration of military people around where they will be working? What, exactly, will their role be (snide comments from the blogger not withstanding)?

I guess I'm just not ready to call for insurrection based on this blog...what can I say?

Oh please, they have meds for people who see conspiracies everywhere. Anyone who has been stationed at a large military installation has seen military police working with local LEO's. It's been going on for as long as the US has had military forces. Military MP's would patrol bars and major hangouts for GI's all the time, they have no authority over the civilians but have full authority over the GI's. They also man "DWI/Safety Checkpoints" with the local LEOs around military bases, if a car is stopped containing military members they are handed over to the MPs. The local cops knew the UCMJ was much worse then the local courts and gladly handed them over.

It's kind of ironic, we all have seen biased reporting from the media concerning guns, and we are quick to recognize it and criticize it. Here is a biased report attempting to appeal the conspiracy theorist out there and a lot of people out there suddenly shut their brains down and refuse to think for themselves. It's funny how the author conveniently leaves out the fact that the checkpoints are around military installations, have probably been going on since the base was built. This is a clear case of someone trying to stir up trouble where there is none.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links