Need good work boots

This is a discussion on Need good work boots within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have an old pair of red wings that are going to be retired. Anyone have any recommendations for a good, comfortable, durable pair of ...

Thread: Need good work boots

Need good work boots

I have an old pair of red wings that are going to be retired.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good, comfortable, durable pair of work boots? I definitely want Gore-tex, steel toe and a low heel.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    What kind of work do you do? Indoor or outdoor?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm actually a mechanical engineer that designs HVAC, plumbing, fire protection, etc... for buildings. I do a lot of construction site walk throughs and inspections and also do a lot of verification that HVAC systems are operating properly.

So no hard work in them, mostly just walking around but steel toes are required. About 90% of my time is spent inside. I'd also wear the same boots hunting which is only occasionally and not when it's real cold outside.

I highly recommend either Chippewa or Rocky. I generally wear the "logger" style boot and always with the gore-tex (or chip-a-tex) same thing. I work in the "waste water" industry, so water proof is a big selling point for me. The Chippewas take about a week to break in and have a far better pair of laces but the Rockys are like slippers right out of the box--- no break in. I have never worn out a pair of either of these boots, I know that when my feet start to hurt near the end of the day, it is time for new boots. They usually last about a year. sorry it is kind of wordy but it is an honest review.

Cool. I was looking at Rocky boots but didn't know anything about them. I'll add them to my list along with Red Wings.

Haven't seen Chippewa around here. I need to try anything I get on since I have narrow feet and a good fit is sometimes hard to find.

It'll be sad to see these boots go. I wore them for my summer job for about 3 years working around farming and a horse barn. I've worn them off and on for the last 8 years on construction sites around concrete dust and anything else you can think of. The soles are worn flat, the leather is cracked where it flexes and the bottoms have no shape, just flat so they hurt. Can't complain about over 10 years of use. I think they were like $175 when I got them but money well spent.

Administrator
    I'd get another pair of Wings then!
    "Just blame Sixto"

I might. Things change a lot in 10 years so I have no idea if they're still as good as they used to be. I think mine were made in the USA. It would surprise me if they still are.

VIP Member
    I have Timberland Pro Powerfit I got some thing else and I could not walk after a few days. Three other Guys had these at work. They are steel toe and electrical hazard footwear. They are the most comfortable work boot I have ever worn. I have them a year and wear them every day for work and good if the weather is raw. I just polish them up and they look good.You don't feel cold in the toe's like other steel toe boots. I will pick themup when I need my next pair. Good Luck.

I've worn Red Wings for years. Like you I have a pair that are near death. They are the the "good" ones with white crepe soles. I remember getting them when I was a kid and they were expensive then at around $25. Now they run around $180! I don't like the "lug" type soles preferring smoother, less mud grabbing ones so the options are limited. But $200 for new slides is getting close to my new DW Bobtail money! Heck, flipflops from the Dollar Store will get me through this winter if need be.

Ariat, the heel will not roll out and the sole never needs to be replaced.

Administrator
    Speaking of that, red wings can be resoled if your uppers are in decent shape.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I used to live in Minnesota for 40 years. Red Wings are made in Red Wing, MN. I am also a Construction Manager and walk sites all day. I have had several pairs of Red Wing boots and they wear like iron. I have a narrow foot and can get Red Wings in narrow sizes. My only complaint about Red Wings is that they take a long time to break in and until they were, my feet were sore at the end of the day. The boot below is the "Irish Setter" boot with the soft crepe soles. They are all day long comfort and break in easy. I dont believe they come in steel toe though.

I have switched to Cabela's brand boots. We have a Cabela's close by so touchin', feelin' and trying on is easy. Cabela's has a 100% satisfaction guarantee on anything they sell so if you are not satisfied, your return is not questioned.

I have worn Rocky boots for hunting but they barely make it through one hunting season. Rocky boots cannot take the punishment of every day wear on concrete or on rough surface, the sole wears fast.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Red Wings can't be beat for durability, I have a pair that have 3 year of hard labor on them. My only complaints are they are heavy and are getting uncomfortable after half a day. I also like Timberland boots but can't find one that are high. Since kids have been buying them to wear around unlaced and the tounges hanging out they have been designing boots more for them than work.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I wouldn't trade my 5 year-old Dr. Marten's steel-toed boots for anything...:dancebance:

-Jeff-

Links