Who wrecked after WallyWorld

This is a discussion on Who wrecked after WallyWorld within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok. Time to fess up. Which one of you guys wrecked your truck on your WallyWorld run? Hwy. 52 Reopened; Shoulder To Remain Closed For ...

Thread: Who wrecked after WallyWorld

Wink Who wrecked after WallyWorld

Ok. Time to fess up. Which one of you guys wrecked your truck on your WallyWorld run?

Hwy. 52 Reopened; Shoulder To Remain Closed For Cleanup - Local News Story - WXII The Triad
    Hwy. 52 Reopened; Shoulder To Remain Closed For Cleanup
    Tractor-Trailer Carrying Ammunition Crashes, Spills Fuel

POSTED: 9:31 pm EST December 18, 2008
    UPDATED: 2:03 pm EST December 19, 2008

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Authorities were still cleaning up after a tractor-trailer hauling small arms ammunition wrecked on a Highway 52, but all lanes of traffic were moving again by noon Friday, Winston-Salem police said.

One lane of the highway was reopened just after 8 a.m. after the crash Thursday evening closed the stretch of highway between the Highway 66 exit and Hanes Mill Road. The shoulder of the highway remained closed Friday afternoon.
    Click here to find out more!

The truck, carrying 40,000 pounds of small-arms ammunition, crashed through a guardrail and plunged down an embankment, police said, causing a small fuel spill. The fuel spill has since been contained.

It wasn't immediately known what caused the truck to crash.

One northbound lane was also briefly closed due to a second onlooker crash. No injuries were reported in that crash.

The driver of the truck was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Man oh man, why couldn't a truck like that take a spill around me.

I once saw a semi truck leaking cartons of cigarettes, I'd much rather see one with boxes of ammunition falling out the back.

Guess my delivery will be late.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

Senior Moderator
    That would be better than cash, well almost as good as cash
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Hopefully, if it ever happens around me, all the ammo will be in calibers that I do not have. That would justify to my wife me buying new guns.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

What I would like to know is what do they do with the remnants? I can't believe everything was destroyed but I wouldn't doubt it if a few boxes or cases were damaged if they were spilled out on the roadway.

So what do they do? Do they deliver what they can salvage to the stores anyway and just mark them down $, or do they just burn the whole lot out of "safety" concerns?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Man oh man, why couldn't a truck like that take a spill around me.

I once saw a semi truck leaking cartons of cigarettes, I'd much rather see one with boxes of ammunition falling out the back.
    You follow the ammo truck, I'll follow the Brinks truck.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So my question is, why did they mention it was carrying ammo? The story said nothing about ammo being spilled on highway. The clean up was for the small fuel spill. As to a money spill, this happened in Seattle, people were seen gathering money as it blew across the freeway on the freeway cams. Many of those that didn't turn in the money they picked up were arrested later because they were identified by the highway cam. Trying to get free stuff after an accident is stealing unless given permission from the owner or if it is abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    What I would like to know is what do they do with the remnants? I can't believe everything was destroyed but I wouldn't doubt it if a few boxes or cases were damaged if they were spilled out on the roadway.

So what do they do? Do they deliver what they can salvage to the stores anyway and just mark them down $, or do they just burn the whole lot out of "safety" concerns?
    Usually when there is an accident like that the load gets written off by the insurance company and the damaged truck and trailer are towed to the trucking company's yard. The trucking company then does what it wants with it. Sometimes they sell it to clearing houses for pennies on the dollar of their actual worth. Sometimes they give the product away to their drivers (I've gotten a lot of good stuff for free this way).

Very rarely does it get delivered to the intended customer. It would make the manufacturer look bad if it was delivered and there was some kind of damage to the product. There are also legal worries. Lets say Remington made the ammo, and during the accident cases of ammo were thrown all over the place. During all this some of the cases get crushed and a bunch of the ammo ends up with excessive setback. The trucking company transfers the load to another truck and delivers the ammo to the customers. Some poor sucker buys the ammo, goes to the range and his gun blows up in his face. Who gets sued? Most likely the manufacturer.

Sometimes it is delivered, it just depends on what it is.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

They could have had a "sale" right there.... and wouldn't have to clean up anything... we'ld take care of it .

Of course, there was a U.S. Navy van which somehow managed to lose a case containing M-16 rifles in Sussex County Virginia. It was a Navy seal team on their way back from Quantico to Norfolk. Someone found the case and called the county sheriff's office

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I went to walmart to pick up a couple boxes of minimags for my 10-22, at about $5 for the 100 round plastic boxes, and the woman behind the counter asked me if I wanted some damaged boxes for $1 apiece. The plastic boxes were cracked but full and held together with scotch tape. I bought 5 boxes, all they had.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Links