Is crime less with snow on the ground? - Page 2

Is crime less with snow on the ground?

This is a discussion on Is crime less with snow on the ground? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It doesnt seem to be the case around here. We dont get much snow, but had 1/2" or so one night last week when the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is crime less with snow on the ground?

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    It doesnt seem to be the case around here. We dont get much snow, but had 1/2" or so one night last week when the village idiot decided it would be a good idea to set his neighbors house on fire. The local cops didnt even need the dog to track the guy home.

Goin back to my college days studying criminology,
    Violent crime tends to peak during the summer months, because heat tends to make people irritable, and a lot more people are side, hence more interaction and whatnot. When it's cold violent crime tends to decrease according to most studies.

IIRC there is something along the lines of "seasonal depression" as well, with most people being afflicted during the times around the holidays.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    This is sort of a question for LEOs. But during times of snow on the ground, does crime fall off? I am thinking drive by shootings, stop and robs, etc would be a bit harder. What about one-on-one crimes like robbery on the street? Beating up people with layers of clothing on would be not as effective.
    I think in any extreme weather condition crime would drop. I remember hearing in the summer time when crime would drop because it's so hot.

It will be interesting to see the stats when they come out, as to whether this year's seasonality of lower "winter" crime was moderated in part by the crappy economy's higher crime. Wouldn't be surprising. I'm sure Don Kates'll give it a whirl, at some point.

I'm sure it comes down to human nature and simple economics, like anything else. Imagine a criminal in need of $500 cash for a drug fix, or grandma in dire need of a refill on her glycerine tablets. If you need it bad, you go and get it despite the weather or other hurdles. If you only mildly need it, then nasty weather or other problems likely play a larger role in determining whether to postpone the "trip."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    It doesnt seem to be the case around here. We dont get much snow, but had 1/2" or so one night last week when the village idiot decided it would be a good idea to set his neighbors house on fire. The local cops didnt even need the dog to track the guy home.
    I believe it! Crime goes down in bad weather, but it also seems to bring out the nuts. Whenever there is a change in weather, I can count on someting nutty happening.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was talking to a local LEO the other day and he said that they were actually busier with domestics and suicides. People couped up with their families during the holidays, someone is bound to go crazy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links