Is crime less with snow on the ground?

This is a discussion on Is crime less with snow on the ground? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is sort of a question for LEOs. But during times of snow on the ground, does crime fall off? I am thinking drive by ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

This is sort of a question for LEOs. But during times of snow on the ground, does crime fall off? I am thinking drive by shootings, stop and robs, etc would be a bit harder. What about one-on-one crimes like robbery on the street? Beating up people with layers of clothing on would be not as effective.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I'd somehow doubt that....unless of course it was pink snow. Probably get moved to 'off topic' also. ;)

Senior Moderator
    Moved to Off topic

Crime is usually lower during bad weather. Summer is usually higher in crime than winter
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Kansas.com Projects | Wichita crime maps

Our paper's website has the above interactive map they publish daily. I've noticed the number of pushpins really drops on a snow day.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Administrator
    Yes, generally speaking, I can count on a quiet night if its snowing. (not including negligent driving)

However, around the holidays crime will peak no matter the weather. I'm expecting a busy night tonight because its fairly warm, and its Christmas. I'm switching roles to solely be burglar patrol, the drunks and other common nuisances will have to be on their own for a few nights.

Suicides are always up in bad weather too as well as holidays.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, generally speaking, I can count on a quiet night if its snowing. (not including negligent driving)

However, around the holidays crime will peak no matter the weather. I'm expecting a busy night tonight because its fairly warm, and its Christmas. I'm switching roles to solely be burglar patrol, the drunks and other common nuisances will have to be on their own for a few nights.
    Stay safe - and good hunting.....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

11 years ago when I was in college I had this statistics class and the entire class was based on you coming up with a "theory" and doing research to test it. Well, I chose to see if there was a correlation between Temperature and Crime. I believe I broke up the 12 months into two categories... like APR, MAY, JUNE, JUL, AUG, SEPT as "Warm Months" and OCT, NOV, DEC, JAN, FEB, MAR as "Cold Months". Came out to be fact... there is definitely more crime in warm months. Due to people just being more active (out and about going places in summer), larger groups together in summer (concerts...), and the heat leads people to be short fused as well... many reasons. Thought it was shocking that it was like 100% correct. I remember the professor not believing me and triple checked my work and said it was indeed true. ha! I DO NOT miss college!!!!!!!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Administrator
    And an interesting sidebar, when weather is bad, family crime is up. The 'billys tend to drink and fight with one another when couped up with each other.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Yeah and during Christmas time and NewYears we always have someone commiting suicide.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yes, generally speaking, I can count on a quiet night if its snowing...
    However, around the holidays crime will peak no matter the weather. I'm expecting a busy night tonight because its fairly warm, and its Christmas....
    Christmas season, cold weather/snow, loneliness, alcohol, guns...would all likely be signficant variables that one could put into a regression equation that predicts criminal behavior levels. Case in point, sadly:

Mother Shoots, Kills Son In Self-Defense, Police Say
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:38 AM CST

By Hicham Raache
    Times Record • hraache@swtimes.com

A Franklin County man was killed by his mother Sunday, likely in self-defense, after he reportedly pistol-whipped her and his stepfather, authorities said.

Cameron Utsler, 22, was shot to death at the Prairie Street residence he shared with his mother and stepfather, north of Charleston, according to Lt. Steve Coppinger of the Arkansas State Police.

“Right now it looks like a justified shooting,” David Gibbons, Franklin County’s district attorney, said on Monday.

Troopers were dispatched to the residence at around 1:20 a.m. Sunday. Utsler was found dead at the scene, Coppinger said.

Utsler’s mother and stepfather, whose names were not revealed by either Coppinger or Gibbons, told investigators that Utsler became violent toward them after they had returned home from a Christmas party, according to Coppinger.

“He was upset that he was excluded from a family Christmas get-together,” Coppinger said.

Utsler reportedly brandished a handgun and at one point struck both his mother and stepfather on the head with the pistol, according to Coppinger. How many times Utsler struck them with the gun was not revealed.

“I don’t believe he discharged the weapon, he just physically beat them,” Coppinger said. “One of the parents, out of a defensive posture, had to get a firearm and shoot him.”

Coppinger described both the mother and stepfather as “very small in stature” and “slenderly built.” Utsler, however, was described as more than 6 feet tall and weighing more than 300 pounds.

“He’s a big guy with a violent history,” Coppinger said.

The mother and stepfather told investigators that Utsler had physically abused them in the past.

Because the shooting is believed to be self-defense, an arrest was not made.

“For this to occur right at the Christmas holiday must be very traumatic for the mother,” Coppinger said.

Both the mother and stepfather were treated and released from a local hospital, according to Coppinger

It is not known if Utsler had a history of mental instability, Coppinger said.

Gibbons said that until the State Police investigation is complete, he cannot officially clear the shooting as an act of self-defense.

Utsler’s body was transported to the Arkansas State Crime Laboratory in Little Rock, where an autopsy will be conducted.

Times Record

To me it only seems logical that there would be less normal crime during bad weather. Unlike honest citizens that have to go out in all weather to work, criminals can ply their trade at their pleasure.
    They chose their profession so they wouldnt have to work in misrable conditions like snow.

Michael

Central North Dakota sometimes gets too cold to do anything, crime included, we did just have a couple bank robberies, but when it's -22 before wind chill, nobody wants to be outside.
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Dany View Post
    Central North Dakota sometimes gets too cold to do anything, crime included, we did just have a couple bank robberies, but when it's -22 before wind chill, nobody wants to be outside.
    Yeah, that would sure be too cold for me. Haven't had any real snow to speak of around here. We did get some freezing rain today though. I live in a rural area and about an hour ago I had 3 cars off of the road in front of my house. All separate incidents about 75 yards apart. Went out but everyone was alright and we got them pointed in the right direction finally. I'm hunkered in the house for the night... this guy won't be causing any trouble for anyone that's for sure.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I like having snow on the ground so I have a "record" of any exterior visitors.
    Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

Senior Moderator
    And an interesting sidebar, when weather is bad, family crime is up. The 'billys tend to drink and fight with one another when couped up with each other.
    We used to catch a lot of trauma around the Holidays. Take a bunch of people who basically don't like each other, pack them in a house for a family dinner, and add alcohol.

Let the games begin.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links