Insurance question Auto accident

This is a discussion on Insurance question Auto accident within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well it happened to us last night. Waiting at a red light and an air headed young blond with her skin head boyfriend slammed in ...

Thread: Insurance question Auto accident

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Well it happened to us last night. Waiting at a red light and an air headed young blond with her skin head boyfriend slammed in to the back of our SUV. She tried to turn and run but figured out shortly I was not going to let her get to far so finally pulled over after 3-4 turns and a dozen blocks. I then noticed her boyfriend climbing back into the front seat after doing whatever (I can only guess) in the back of the car. Well she wouldn’t give me her driver’s license and only had an expired insurance certificate under a male name. (Not either of them.) I called the cops and after over an hour the highway patrol showed up to take a report. (X-mas eve I’m guessing they were short handed).

Anyway to shorten this up a bit she was given two tickets. One for failure to present proof of current insurance, and one for failure to keep her vehicle under control. My 2000 Mountaineer although just drivable will be a total.

The officer tells me he called in to verify her insurance (actually not hers but the 3rd unknown guy’s) and the report back was “UNDER RENEWAL”. Doesn’t sound too good to me. Anybody out there have a clue as to what that means? I’ve Googled it and can’t find anything worthy hanging my hat on here.

Thanks: BTW were both feeling pretty good although a bit stiff. She was complaining of head injuries (no seat belt) and was not even looking or breaking when she hit me. So no wonder she and window met. The report does call it an accident with injuries.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Probably means your insurance company will have to pick up the tab and fight her or her insurance for payment later. If it's your state law that insurance is mandatory, she may get her license revoked until payment is made. That's just what I've heard. Don't forget to get the accident report from the PD.....may take a week or more in some places. Good luck with it all and hope you have a good insurance company. I'd call them tomorrow if I were you and report your claim.

VIP Member
    Not too sure about the term "under renewal". Either way you should be covered, by the vehicle owners insurance if still in effect, or by your own insurance, if other owners insurance has lapsed. If you company has to pay they will then go after the owner of the vehicle for restitution. Since you were not at fault it should not affect your rates.

Glad your alright, but don't sign any settlement for awhile, in case something shows up in the future that was caused from the accident.
    Last edited by archer51; December 25th, 2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added thought
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

In my area, "under renewal" is used to describe the time when a policy is expiring but the company will renew if payment is received. I carry unisured/underinsured riders to cover situations like this. In my state if you don't have the rider and the other party's policy has lapsed (payment not made timely for renewal) or the louse just doesn't have insurance you are SOL. I hope your third party made his payment or you have your own uninsured/underinsured coverage. Glad to hear you guys are feeling good and hope it stays that way.

Was Mr. SkinHead hiding contraband maybe? Sounds like your insurance company will take over and seek restitutuion from the other. It the car owner that is insured, not the driver(s), hence the confusion on names perhaps.

Good luck!

drugs was my guess. he called a friend that showed up he transfered something to that car then it left. too bad it took the cops over an hour to get there. I wish now i had not chased them down as her front license plate is securly imbedded into my rear hatch door of my SUV. LOL would have loved to see hit and run added to the list. What sucks is having to total the car. Always get screwed on that deal and I'm really not in a position to just go out and replace it either. Oh well life goes on. with or without us.

Maybe I'll sell off my hand guns......NOT
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

As everybody stated in earlier posts. My take on Under Renewal is that the insurace company is eitehr waiting on payment or underwriting is looking at the insured and they are not sure that if they want to renew the policy.(Take the risk). As long as you have collision on your vehicle you will be covered. Your company will pay you and go after the other company or driver or owner of the vehicle maybe all 3. No diffrence to you. Your company will write the claim a little higher because they will go after other parties. Your insurance company will hold back your deductable $500.00/$1000.00 depends on your policy. After they collect fromthe other company they will send you another check in the amount the of the deductable. A rear end collision is the only time that the company will pay 100%. You cacn go after them in small claims court for whatever the insurance company does not pay. The legal term is " To make you whole". Not pay you more than it is worth or under what it is worth. If your company low balls you on the settlement ask them to replace the vehicle with the same year,make,model and miles and tell them stand behind the vehicle that they get you. They will not replace the vehicle because they are an insurance company and not a used car lot and will come up of the figure. Also ask for any add ons that you make have on the vehicle. Trailer Hitch, New tires, Upgraded stero. Do not be a pig.

Do you have a duty to inform? How was the LEO when he showed up?

Leo was great. The cute blond truies to wow him and it didn't work at all. He explained that the reason it took so long was he had to break ip a fight at a Churnc (x-mas eve?) and was transporting several to jail. We had a laugh over that. Both my wife and I are CCW permit holders and i'm sure he figgured that out when he ran our licenses but he never said a word.

Don't ask don't tell rule in Minnesota (sort of) We both stayed in our car. The cute blond on the other hand was tramping all over the place. Decided she should just be able to leacve for a bit to get more gas. Leo saw no humor in this from what I could over hear.

From what I'm reading on here in Minnesota "Failure To Maintain Control of Vehicle Resulting in a Motor Vehicle Accident" is not a small matter. Neither is driving without insurance.

Personally, I would have told the LEO about the fact that she tried to run and you had to chase her down...

Tha would have made things interesting for her to explain, i'm sure. Glad to hear nobody was hurt, though....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I was talking with the 911 operator while in the chase and given our location and distance from the accident I think he figgured that out lol

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Leo was great. The cute blond truies to wow him and it didn't work at all. He explained that the reason it took so long was he had to break ip a fight at a Churnc (x-mas eve?) and was transporting several to jail. We had a laugh over that. Both my wife and I are CCW permit holders and i'm sure he figgured that out when he ran our licenses but he never said a word.

Don't ask don't tell rule in Minnesota (sort of) We both stayed in our car. The cute blond on the other hand was tramping all over the place. Decided she should just be able to leacve for a bit to get more gas. Leo saw no humor in this from what I could over hear.

From what I'm reading on here in Minnesota "Failure To Maintain Control of Vehicle Resulting in a Motor Vehicle Accident" is not a small matter. Neither is driving without insurance.
    "Failure to maintain control" is otherwise known as Reckless Driving in VA. I would guess she's going to lose her license for a little while if she shows up to court (or not). I suggest you get yourself and your wife to your doctor ASAP to get any pains recorded. Also, be prepared for it to be at least a few months if the other insurance doesn't pick up the tab immediately. I was hit on the DC beltway a few years back and it took over six months to get the other company to pay out all damages. Your insurance would go to great lengths to get their money back from the other responsible party.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

jfl
    Glad you are both OK.
    However, make sure you get thoroughly checked X-ray, MRI, whatever.
    I got rear-ended in a gas station in 2001, passed out, felt sore but OK the next day; my lawyer had me go to the hospital; long story short, in July 2003 I had to get back surgery at the tune of $38,000. Fortunately we had not settled and the insurance paid for it + lost wages, etc...
    The fact that I had a good attorney from day one made a big diffeence.
    The advice I got is: in any accident (not a fender bender) go to the hospital, you'll have more "leverage" on the insurance company and they'll be eager to settle for vehicle damages.

One thing I learned over the years is to have a high (very high) "unisured/underinsured motorist" coverage especially in places like South Florida.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Links