Anyone here from Montana?

This is a discussion on Anyone here from Montana? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I will be leaving the Army after 22 years of service in August. My official retirement date is 1 Dec 09. That being said, I ...

Thread: Anyone here from Montana?

I will be leaving the Army after 22 years of service in August. My official retirement date is 1 Dec 09. That being said, I am currently thinking of Montana as a new residence after I retire and was wondering if any one could give me some back ground info on the state. Just need something to help me make a better decision on whether or not to move there.

I appreciate anything that anyone can throw at me for this question.

Other states of interest include Virginia, Alabama Missouri and of course back home to Tenn.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I spent 3 1/2 years there in the Air Force and have only one comment.

COLD
    Roy
    Dacono, CO
    CCW
    USAF Veteran

I was raised in Wyoming, but spent the better part of two years after high school in Northeastern Montana, around Culbertson, Froid, Glendive and other little places. Winter is bitterly cold. I worked for a seismograph company so was outside all day. We would have to use torches to heat the oil pans on our trucks so they would start. The coldest I saw was -25 one morning, but at night it was colder. Better dress warm if you are headed in that direction.
    Last edited by Wyoming; December 26th, 2008 at 11:08 PM.
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

VIP Member
    Wife and I looked at moving to Montana back in the 90's. Of course she wanted to live in the Bozeman area. Found the prices were extremely high, and wages low. The area had suffered a big influx of CA retirees and it had a bad impact on prices and wages. Settled for VA instead, and don't regret it.
    If your looking at VA it isn't a bad place to live, as long as you stay out of NoVA. Home prices in NoVA are high and traffic is horrible up there. Best to stay below Fredricksburg. Richmond area you will have Ft Lee available to you, or if you head towards to VA Beach area there are several bases available.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Wife and I looked at moving to Montana back in the 90's. Of course she wanted to live in the Bozeman area. Found the prices were extremely high, and wages low. The area had suffered a big influx of CA retirees and it had a bad impact on prices and wages.
    That's because Bozeman, being home to Montana State University, is the second most liberal town in Montana, behind Missoula, home of the University of Montana.

Bozeman's proximity to high end destination resorts like Big Sky Resorts is another reason for its reputation. You have to have a minimum net worth of one million dollars to even look at property at Big Sky. (They check.)

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

CC checked in....he's one of the 1200 full-time residents.
    Beautiful country, especially in the two weeks of summer!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    CC checked in....he's one of the 1200 full-time residents.
    Beautiful country, especially in the two weeks of summer!
    2 1/2 weeks now, due to global warming!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I'm a Montana resident but currently working in Utah. That should say alot about the labor market.

Montana is God's country, I love it. If you enjoy the outdoors, hunting and fishing, its a great place to live. However, be prepared to endure some of the most challenging winters known to man and expect to travel for anything extravagant unless you live in Billings, Bozeman or Missoula. I prefer the Noxon area but its pretty desolate unless you're a hunter or fisherman. I've gone days without seeing anyone up there.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Sponsored Links