Need Some Computer Geek Help, Virus related. - Page 2

Need Some Computer Geek Help, Virus related.

This is a discussion on Need Some Computer Geek Help, Virus related. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by DMan Ther is a HUGE difference between operating systems, and web browsers. Google Chrome, Opera, etc are web browsers, NOT operating systems. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Ther is a HUGE difference between operating systems, and web browsers. Google Chrome, Opera, etc are web browsers, NOT operating systems.
    you are correct. I should have broken it down in words even furthur.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I would download AVAST anti virus protection.... it is 100% free for private use, it's open software created by open source developers and is one of the best out there, easy to use, and updates and runs in the background.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

VIP Member
    FWIW, I run XP Professional on my PC. I have had horrendously bad luck with Norton; it just really made the computer behave badly and slowly, and unpredictably.

If you are able to boot and connect to the internet with Explorer (it sounds like you can't get that far), Microsoft has had (haven't looked lately) a free scan and tune up service available on their main site. They also sell a subscription for "Live One Care" which you can use on up to 3 computers in a local network. You can buy it in a store or download it over broadband. Live One Care works very smoothly and seamlessly with XP Professional. But, I have heard they are going to stop selling subscriptions, and don't know if that is true, or when that will happen.

I also have had good luck with PC Tools Desktop Maestro as far as checking registry and some housekeeping stuff, but it is a bit expensive for what it is. I did not like PC tools anti-virus software.

For awhile, I used "Computer Associates" antivirus stuff which came free from my ISP account. It worked smoothly, but I think the ISP dropped it; anyway I like Live One Care better.

Do yourself a favor, get BitDefender....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    FWIW, I run XP Professional on my PC. I have had horrendously bad luck with Norton; it just really made the computer behave badly and slowly, and unpredictably.

If you are able to boot and connect to the internet with Explorer (it sounds like you can't get that far), Microsoft has had (haven't looked lately) a free scan and tune up service available on their main site. They also sell a subscription for "Live One Care" which you can use on up to 3 computers in a local network. You can buy it in a store or download it over broadband. Live One Care works very smoothly and seamlessly with XP Professional. But, I have heard they are going to stop selling subscriptions, and don't know if that is true, or when that will happen.

I also have had good luck with PC Tools Desktop Maestro as far as checking registry and some housekeeping stuff, but it is a bit expensive for what it is. I did not like PC tools anti-virus software.

For awhile, I used "Computer Associates" antivirus stuff which came free from my ISP account. It worked smoothly, but I think the ISP dropped it; anyway I like Live One Care better.
    Same here. I took it off of 5 computers at my business too. MANY computer tech tell me to stay away from Norton for that reason. It is a resource/memory hog for sure. Just keep in mind that AVG free is not an active scanner. I would recommend purchasing one of the full versions that has spyware software built in. The full version is what I run at home and I've had no problems with it. I run Trend Micro Antivirus at my business but to be honest I think I like the full version of AVG better.

I second the Malwarebytes, Avast over AVG because the new AVG is a system hog. When I clean systems, the first thing I do is remove the infected drive and install in a clean system as SLAVE and scan that drive
    from Windows. After you are done scanning, shut the computer down and remove the drive and install back in the old system. After bootup, install Avast and Malwarebytes and scan the system again with both programs so it can remove registry entries and any remaining bad things. Remember, even though everything looks good after a scan there is still a chance that something is still there running (like rootkits).
    Sometimes the only true way to fix a system is a re-format and start over. Hope this helps.

Try google to find an online scan. Lots out there. Also many of the anti-virus makers have small free downloadable programs that can fix certain viruses.

A few of the things I use are...

SuperAntiSpyware to clean spyware off my computer.
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Downloads

Spywareblaster....this helps prevent spyware for getting on your computer after you have cleaned it up. Doesn't help with stuff thats already there.
    SpywareBlaster Download

CCleaners....helps to clean your temp files out.
    CCleaner - Download

AVG and AVAST are both good anti-virus programs. I prefer to use Avast. Just a personal choice.
    Download FREE antivirus software - avast! Home Edition

All of these programs have free versions. You must keep them updated though. Some are allways running and others need you to run them now and then.

Michael

You can reinstall the OS without overwriting My Documents. After this is done get the important data off the hard drive and reformat and install from square one. You will spend more time fiddling try to fix it than re-installing.

If your going to format it only takes a minute longer to totally remove the partition and the MBR. Then rebuild them and format. Overkill? Maybe...but it costs only a minute of time.

Michael

One of the biggest spyware out there is the Antivirus 2009..many think it is a antivirus program, IT IS NOT!! go a google on it and you will learn..we got hit with it here..I think I got it cleaned up thru Malwarebytes..we'll see
    "Brains before Bullets"

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I'll just kick in a couple of cents since I happen to be lurking today (hey everybody, remember me?)

If you get WoW from an official source (their website, or retail) I really can't see how there would be malware involved with it. I've been playing WoW for well over a year now and I've had no virus/malware issues since that time.

Norton AV is almost a virus by itself. I got it for free (legit, from work) and it wasn't worth what I paid. I feel the same about McAfee.

One of the biggest mistakes Windows users can make is to do day to day business while logged on as the administrator. Only use admin when you you need to do admin stuff (and do nothing else).

The best resources I've found are Black Viper's Web Site for general tweaking, and Sysinfo.org for identifying the naughty things that can sneak into your registry.

For what you described, I would isolate the machine, format all associated disks, and reinstall the OS (or a different OS). This isn't bad really. Many people recommend for a Windows PC to format once a year at a minimum. Once you get the hang of it, it's not hard. If you make sure to keep your files and programs on separate disks (i.e. put your pictures, music, and documents on an external drive or separate partition.... or for us real nerds a file server)

As others have mentioned, prevention is the key. This is where the control of admin rights comes in. Don't allow programs to be installed from less than reputable sources. Avoid shady websites (and please please please use any browser other than Internet Explorer; that's like having your plumbing double as electrical conduit) .

System restore is a very bad thing, and I have yet to see any justification for it's existence. Malware writers have learned that they work out of your restore partition and nobody can get to them there (at least not easily).
    I haven't really worried about malware for a couple of months because I switched to Ubuntu (viruses don't even work when deliberately installed and run in an emulator). Depending on your computing needs, you may want to look into it as well.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

This thread has been very informative. I currently use Norton and not happy with it. Got a malware infection last spring, rooted it out with something called "Hijack-This" can't remember not a computer guy, Norton was less than helpful.
    If you guys don't mind me asking a question on this thread. I need parental controls to block out the sleaze. If I switch over to AVAST what do you recommend for this?
    Cupcake, good luck hope it all works out for you, keep us posted.
    Thank you for any help.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    If you get WoW from an official source (their website, or retail) I really can't see how there would be malware involved with it. I've been playing WoW for well over a year now and I've had no virus/malware issues since that time.
    I figured that WOW and parent co was way too big an organization to be allowing malware, but it's the only thing the kids will admit to (Yeah, I am aware that when I was there age I'd pretty much sit through a root canal before confessing to any wrongdoing).

So far, the notebook seems cleaned by the updated mbytes. I left norton on it because we paid for it, but I guess I should either put Avast back on it or AVG, and just get over the fact that I threw $40 out the window. Kids were happily playing wow last night.

The desktop is much better...every appears more normal now, but for some reason I cannot connect to the internet. Network connections indicate that I'm connected, but neither IE nor Firefox can give me anything. This of course means that I was not able to run the updated versions of mbytes or AVG, only the downloaded version. I wonder if I can actually setup and run mbytes and avg from a flash drive, then update them from a working computer and use them (from the flash drive) to scan the desktop? Anyone know?

Well, maybe I'll try installing and updating to my thumb drive while I'm at work. I think I'll also peek into Computer HOPE (thanks P95) and see what I can find out there

Thanks again all.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I figured that WOW and parent co was way too big an organization to be allowing malware, but it's the only thing the kids will admit to
    It occurs to me that while WoW may not be responsible, it may be related. There are a lot of shady websites out there that offer software and/or services for the game that amount to cheating. Many of these will try to trick people out of their account information, or install key loggers in order to take over the poor chumps account.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    The desktop is much better...every appears more normal now, but for some reason I cannot connect to the internet. Network connections indicate that I'm connected, but neither IE nor Firefox can give me anything.
    Have you tried rebooting your router? I'm assuming you have a router in the network since you have more than 1 PC or laptop running?

Reboot your equip in this order:

Unplug the modem for 20-25 sec's, plug back in and let it sync. After the modem sync's, unplug the router for 20-25 sec's, plug back in and let it sync. All devices connected to the network should now have their IP's renewed. You may have to reboot your PC for the changes to take effect.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links