Need Some Computer Geek Help, Virus related. - Page 3

Need Some Computer Geek Help, Virus related.

This is a discussion on Need Some Computer Geek Help, Virus related. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Rcher Have you tried rebooting your router? I'm assuming you have a router in the network since you have more than 1 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Some Computer Geek Help, Virus related.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Have you tried rebooting your router? I'm assuming you have a router in the network since you have more than 1 PC or laptop running?

Reboot your equip in this order:

Unplug the modem for 20-25 sec's, plug back in and let it sync. After the modem sync's, unplug the router for 20-25 sec's, plug back in and let it sync. All devices connected to the network should now have their IP's renewed. You may have to reboot your PC for the changes to take effect.

Hadn't thought of trying that, because I'm able to use the 2 wireless connections (we do have a wireless router, with the desktop being wired to it). Why not? I think I can spare a minute to try.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

DC Founder
    There's a lot of good advice in this thread for you to try. Everyone has their favorite virus scanner (mine is TrendMicro) but you can see from everyone's posts that Norton is not what it used to be. Neither is McAffee. I wouldn't use either one of these. Ditto for Microsoft's scanner.

I rarely have serious problems with malware or viruses, but when I do, I do what carver posted in post #2. I remove the drive, install a new one and reinstall the operating system, patches & updates and all of my software. Once everything is back like I want it, I create a restore point and a backup. Then (and only then) I hook up the original drive as a secondary drive and do a full scan on it. When it passes, I move my data over to the new drive, format the old one and off I go.

This process takes a lot of time and costs you the bucks for a new drive, but as someone said above, it is beneficial to start from scratch periodically to get rid of all of the crap left behind on an operating system that has been up and running for a long time. The experience will make you more aware and careful in the future.

The best way to protect your PC, though, is what I did years ago. Get your wife and kids a computer for their use and password protect yours. Nobody, and I mean nobody, touches my PC but me, period. That is the only way I know of to control sites visited, email accepted, etc and prevent problems....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

A true Image backup will allow you to restore in a matter of minutes when needed. This is not something windows can do, their backup is not a complete backup. You need a 3rd party image backup program such as Ghost or Acronis.

As mentioned before windows restore is dangerous. It is very handy for reinstalling viruses though. It you insist on keeping it, make sure to remove it before removing any viruses from your computer.
    You can make a new restore point later if you wish.

Also Highjackthis was mentioned. Its a very powerful program. This makes it very dangerous. Remove one wrong line and your out of luck. There are sites that will allow you to upload the results of the program and they will analyze it for free for you.

Michael

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links