Starting the New Year Unemployed

This is a discussion on Starting the New Year Unemployed within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Business has been down for the past several months in my clinic, and I got the word that as of Jan 1, I'm being laid ...

Thread: Starting the New Year Unemployed

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Starting the New Year Unemployed

Business has been down for the past several months in my clinic, and I got the word that as of Jan 1, I'm being laid off. I've been working in an occupational medicine clinic, seeing worker's comp patients. Construction is down in Vegas, and with it, work related injuries. Well, at least there's some good news- my contract has a clause requiring 60 days notice. So while I won't work after Jan 1, I'll be paid through February. Plus, I have a week's severance pay along with my vacation time. But this isn't the economy that I want to have to look for work. Well, there's a company in CA that handles the prison system medical departments, paying $95-$135/hr. I would commute if I decided to do that. And I have a pretty strong correctional medicine background, with 3 years as a deputy sheriff and jail medic, 2 rotations while in school at the Petersburg Federal pin, .5 years part time in Nevada for the Southern Desert Correctional Center, and now part time at the Clark County Detention Center, so I've spent my share of time behind bars. Not what I want to do, but it's a consideration if nothing in Vegas turns up. After not working most of last year due to illness, and just getting back on my feet, this is NOT good.

2. Remove Ads

My heart goes out to you. I know I am happy to have a job right now, even if it is one I detest.

I hope you find something fast, and that it is right there where you already live my friend. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Good luck to you man. I found myself in the same position last year, and since I have a Master's degree was able to get into teaching. Right now I'm in Elementary school, and teaching a subject I really don't want to teach - but, like TN Mike said, at least it's a job. And my potential for where I want to be is extremely great.

Hang in there, think and look outside the box. Who knows, there may be something you hadn't ever thought of or explored - that will be even better than what you had.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear that, but you shouldn't be out of work long. The medical profession(s) are the ones that are still hiring. Good luck.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Best wishes while searching...although 09 is not shaping up to be good when it comes to employment, there is something out there...keep the faith.

Rick

I feel for you as well. I was hit by the automotive industry here in Michigan and have been looking for work. If only I could support my family on minimum wage and 32 hours. Every job I have been offered so far pays less than what I get in unemployment. In the next month I will be in school to learn to drive a truck, which is not something I want to do, but it is necessary for the family to survive.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

I am very sorry to hear that. I wish you the best of luck searching for employment and hope you get one soon. God always has a plan for us. Embrace it and seize every opportunity.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Good luck to all in your search for a new job. I was laid off myself back in December 2005, out of work for several months, found a job for the next several months, before being laid off again in February 2007, and out of work again for 3 months. I'm surprisingly a better and nicer person than I was before and have a better job now too. Hope it's as quick and painless as possible for everyone who's now looking for work themselves.

The Masters Plan may have you in a better job. Now is then time to try out what you always wanted to try. Good luck..
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I feel your pain, having gotten the boot myself a week or so before Christmas. Any my county unemployment rate is quite a bit higher than the national average, last I checked.

-JT

Links