High School, Then and now.

This is a discussion on High School, Then and now. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2008 Scenario 1: Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun ...

Thread: High School, Then and now.

High School, Then and now.

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2008

Scenario 1:
    Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
    1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
    2008 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:
    Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
    1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
    2008 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged them with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:
    Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
    1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
    2008 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
    Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
    2008 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:
    Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
    1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.
    2008 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:
    Pedro fails high school English.
    1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
    2008 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:
    Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
    1957 - Ants die.
    2008 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:
    Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
    1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
    2008 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

This should hit every email inbox to show how stupid we have become!!

AMEN TO THAT !!!!

bosco

2. Remove Ads

While I have seen this before, it is too true.

I have done too many of those things (back in the 60s, not quite the 50s). And the outcomes for 1957 are pretty much right on.

As one of my favorite authors/preachers wrote: We have become a nation of Nancies.

'Nuff said.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

All so very true. I went to high school in San Jose, CA and the school had an NRA sponsored rifle club of which I was a member. You'll see nothing like that today.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Scenario 7:
    Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
    1957 - Ants die.
    2008 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

They left out PETA picketing in front of their house, calling them killers and splashing them with red paint.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Recently at a FL school, a school girl gave a friend a cough drop. The friend gave the girl one dollar in gratitude. The girl was charged with dealing drugs.

I hate people.

-JT

Jefferey was sent to the Principal, I wish I was. I played Baseball in Jr. High, so I was sent to the coach. In HS I was in ROTC and Track, so they took turns on me.

The Principal would have been a cake walk.

We have become a nation of de-masculinized nancies. There is a great conservative comedian who has a DVD called "Wussification" and he is right on, check him out (Welcome To BradStine.com)
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Recently at a FL school, a school girl gave a friend a cough drop. The friend gave the girl one dollar in gratitude. The girl was charged with dealing drugs.

I hate people.

-JT

Man, a dollar for a cough drop, thats quite the lucrative business, they sell them for $0.10 in our bookstore. (Jamestown College)
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

i couldn't stop laughing. sadly though, it all seems to be spot on.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Wow I just turned 30 this past September and I'm amazed at how spot on this thread is. I'm shocked at how bad things have gotten in society today. In fact I'm so inspired by it,I'd like to add a scenario of my own if you don't mind please?

scenario 9

circa 1970: Jake gets drunk and decides to drive home sadly Jake is so drunk he loses control of his car,causing a wreck and killing an innocent motorist. Jake is convicted of vehicular manslaughter and sentenced accordingly he also loses his driving privileges for the foreseeable future.

scenario 9
    2008: Jake gets drunk decides to drive home anyways,cauese a wreck killing another motorist. Jake who has had 2 other DWI's is amazingly still a licensed driver. Now in 2008 Jake gets a good lawyer who argues Jake's tragic childhood that lead him to be an alcoholic,and more to the point is his parent's and societies fault why he did what he did.

Now Jake's lawyer may even go as far as to blame the Bar that severed Jake and heck lets go ahead and blame ford for building the car he was driving just for good measure. In other words everyone and everything else is responsible for Jake's actions and choices but Jake,also in this day and age he might lose his license for 5 years and serve the same amount of time is prison for good behavior. And the license suspension runs concurrent so the day Jake gets out of prison he can walk right into DMV and reapply for his driver's license all over again.

Makes me sick to my stomach indeed as does the above mentioned scenarios as well. Yup sadly we have become a nation pansies.

All of those scenarios are so true it is frightening! I am 37 and I remember getting paddles in elementary school. I deserved it, I got over it, life went on. Teachers now a days can not even raise their voices at kids or they will reap repercussions from an outraged parent because juinors delicate psyche has been damaged.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Heck, I'm 75 and can honestly explain the flat spot on my rear end. Times have really changed and not always for the better.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I'm 30-something as well, and also remember corporal punishment being allowed in middle school.

Then again, my middle school also banned recreational reading for a while, too. Basically, if a teacher didn't assign the book you were reading, you weren't allowed to read it in school at all.

The school. Banned. Reading.

Gotta love the FL public education system.

It's gotten better since then.

A little.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    Heck, I'm 75 and can honestly explain the flat spot on my rear end. Times have really changed and not always for the better.
    Amen to that. Lack of corporal punishment and the ACLU are just a couple reasons the country is going down hill. I pray America finally wakes up before it is too late.

This first post is so true.

I went to high school in the 80's and on the opening day of deer season in Indiana myself and several of my friends brought out rifles to school and either stored them in our cars/trucks or in the office in the Principals office, right next to his rifle! I got paddled a few times in school and if I really screwed up my dad would wear my butt out with his belt. I am a productive member of society who has never been arrested, served our country honorably in the US Navy and as a reserve Deputy Sheriff while in the Navy, pays my taxes, have never once tried drugs of any kind, have been married for 20 years to the same woman and never strayed, fathered 5 children with that woman and is raising them right, and have held a job and never been on welfare....I turned out fine.

This country wasn't completely crazy stupid just 20 years ago! What the heck happened?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I'm almost 50 yrs old. Boys were required to take a shop class, first shop class was woodworking. I had to make a "paddle", drilled a bunch of holes in it so it could be swung harder, less air restriction. Had my backside welted a couple of times from my own design.

I took auto shop after that.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Links