How did any of us live this long?

This is a discussion on How did any of us live this long? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Watching Fox news, lady doctor telling us to make sure our kids wear helmets to snow sled, and only one kid on the sled. To ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Watching Fox news, lady doctor telling us to make sure our kids wear helmets to snow sled, and only one kid on the sled. To think I grew up jumping on the seat of a '61 Buick with a steel dash the size of an upright piano.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Very true, but when you were jumping on that seat, you didn't have soccer moms driving tanks talking on cell phones and putting on make-up. People were paying attention to what they were doing on the road. There also were not as many vehicles on the road. As far as the helmets and such. I don't think I ever owned a helmet for when I rode my bike. We used to go out in the woods and have BB gun fights. Some of us got a little wounded, but none of us ever ended up in the hospital or died. Times are definitely different.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

VIP Member
    I get tired of reading what all these "experts" think we should do to raise a child. Next thing you know they will want you to put a strainer and seatbelts on the toilet, so the kid doesn't fall in it, or off it!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm only 25 but I remember BB gun fights in the backyard, we just had to wear those ski-type goggles (the only part of that my mother got her way on)
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Senior Moderator
    My friends and I traveled a gazillion miles in the back of a pickup truck. No better way to ride, on a beautiful day.

The whole neighborhood would take turns sipping at a Coke can.

We used to see how many people we could fit on a bike and still be able to pedal it.

No seatbelts. Lots of cars didnt have them.

Fistfights in school got you sent to the Principals office, where you got lectured first and then whacked. When your parents found out about it, you got whacked again.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I remember actually having firework battles. We would all get in canoes and row boats, and start throwing smoke bombs, shooting bottle rockets, and roman candles at each other. More than once we had to "abandon ship" if a smoke bomb or roman candle landed in our firework stash in the boat.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I don't know but if I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Heck, we would take a car hood and flip it over, get the whole dang neighborhood on it at one time and blast down the hill. This was in the 60's, sure didnt have the type of protective equipment available today. A car hood was a great gang sled.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

im only 19, but i remember fitting as many people on a bike as we could. playing outside all day, till your parents yelled for you. (not hearing them wasn't an excuse) when we got thirsty, we ran over to a hose, took a big long drink, then went back to running around. we didn't have bottled water.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

VIP Member
    Somewhere along the way the concept of "child endangerment" was invented, not to keep bad parents from doing bad things to their kids, or to force parents to keep their kids from hurting themselves, but to provide an after the fact-20/20 hindsight analysis which would turn ordinary activities into criminality.

No one intended that outcome of course, but that is what happens when laws are written so vaguely that no one knows precisely what they are and are not allowed to do. Or, that is what happens when laws are written in such a way that serendipity becomes the determining factor in whether or not a crime was done. Lady luck, your neighbor's kid found an otherwise well hidden gun while going into a room he had no business going into.

My dad once dropped me from his shoulders and my head got whacked on a steam radiator. In today's world the doc would have called CPS and dad would have been charged with child endangerment or worse. In reality all that happened was I wiggled while we were playing around. Its time to make sure dads don't hoist their offspring on their shoulders anymore. Too dangerous. :-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Somewhere along the way the concept of "child endangerment" was invented, not to keep bad parents from doing bad things to their kids, or to force parents to keep their kids from hurting themselves, but to provide an after the fact-20/20 hindsight analysis which would turn ordinary activities into criminality.

No one intended that outcome of course, but that is what happens when laws are written so vaguely that no one knows precisely what they are and are not allowed to do. Or, that is what happens when laws are written in such a way that serendipity becomes the determining factor in whether or not a crime was done. Lady luck, your neighbor's kid found an otherwise well hidden gun while going into a room he had no business going into.

My dad once dropped me from his shoulders and my head got whacked on a steam radiator. In today's world the doc would have called CPS and dad would have been charged with child endangerment or worse. In reality all that happened was I wiggled while we were playing around. Its time to make sure dads don't hoist their offspring on their shoulders anymore. Too dangerous. :-
    Hopyard,
    You forgot to mention there would have been a lawyer right there, trying to get your folks to sue the radiator manufacturer for putting out an unsafe product. He might have even approached you to sue your dad for dropping you.
    Times have changed, and not much of it for the better.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As I told my kid.... "if you are stupid and end up killing yourself, we can make another one just like you ". He didn't like that. LOL. So, he went right out on his dirt bike, did exactly the one thing I cautioned him about and went thru a fence sideways.

He "learned", not to do it twice. You can't keep people from learning all of life's lessons. We just try to keep them from experiencing some of the most painful ones.

Great stories! Brings back good memories.

We drank out of a spring on my neighbors property--fresh water coming out of a hole in the ground. We were glad to have it. We weren't worried about anything in the water.

Had sling-shot wars with my brother using acorns. A good hit would leave a welt.

Did a lot of dumb stuff in high school that included cars and speed...

Yep, how did we live so long?

VIP Member

Slightly off topic response

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Hopyard,
    You forgot to mention there would have been a lawyer right there, trying to get your folks to sue the radiator manufacturer for putting out an unsafe product.
    It is mostly myth that civil suits for personal injury are out of control.

Some interesting numbers were published in our newspaper last week.

Of approximately 11,000 cases filed in our 3 District Courts and two County Courts during the previous year--

1) roughly 7000 were criminal in nature
    2) roughly 3000 were domestic disputes (divorce and related issues)

Of the remaining 1000 cases, more than 900 of these 1000 were miscellaneous business disputes.

Only 85 of the 11,000 cases filed that year were civil suits alleging personal injury--the kind of stuff everyone thinks is out of control.

Nothing was published on the nature of the personal injury civil suits, but one can surmise that the vast majority arose out of automobile accidents.

Personal injury suits are relatively rare, at least in the county I live in.

The complaints about them are mostly propaganda by business interests and the insurance industry--by folks not wanting to meet their obligations to those who their clients have harmed.

Senior Moderator
    My oldest son, 18 at the time, got hit by a woman that failed to yeild.
    No injury was noted. She used his cellphone to call the Police and initiate an accident report.

Both vehicles were drivable. Damage to kids truck was around 4k. She was driving an old model Cadillac that barely showed any damage at all...a few scratches on the bumper.

She admitted to the cop that it was her fault. Twe months later I was getting sued for 25K.She claimed personal injury, whiplash and back problems.

The Insurance company took care of it. It went back and forth for two years. She had a lengthy history of suing people, in fact, that is how she made her living. She didnt have a job, lived on welfare and sued people.

The Insurance company settled out of court for 7000 bucks.

It is mostly myth that civil suits for personal injury are out of control.
    It may be in your neck of the woods, but it dang sure isnt here.

And everyone wonders why their car insurance is so high.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links