Thinking about moving to CO...

This is a discussion on Thinking about moving to CO... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, Time has come and aviation industry has hit bare bottom... I need to start looking for some 'other' carriers in my lifetime to make ...

Thread: Thinking about moving to CO...

Well,

Time has come and aviation industry has hit bare bottom...

I need to start looking for some 'other' carriers in my lifetime to make sure flying is what I want to do, or something I've always wanted to do, be LEO...

Since I'm not a citizen, alot of states won't hire me. CO is one of few states that would hire me...

I'm thinking about moving there to go to an academy and then try to get a police officer/deputy job... it could be anywhere in the state.

The academy I'm thinking of is this: Welcome to the Highlands Ranch Public Safety Training Institute

its the only one that won't take arm and a leg since they aren't a college (I'd be out of state) and it looks just like what I had in mind. I'm excited about hearing back from them....

now the question that I have is, what would the cost of living be there? (they are in Littleton, CO) housing, roommates??? and what about a temporary job? for all I care I could work at a bar on the nights/weekends as a bouncer (which i've done before) or work at a home improvement
    dept... just something to help pay bills....

well?

Littleton is in the southwest suburbs of Denver and can be a little more pricey than a lot of areas. It is a nice area for sure though. You could save a few bucks by living just to the west a little.

A bar job would probably require a bit of a drive to Denver proper. I am sure the job market is just crappy all the way around though. Whatever job you look at, Littleton to Downtown Denver is about 30 minutes, for reference.

edit: you mentioned aviation industry. Centennial Airport is a smaller strip that is pretty close to that area. About 10 minutes to the East of the school's location on 470.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    If I had the money, there's a house around Durango CO that I would buy and move in to in a heartbeat (Ultimate Secure Home). Self sufficient, and secure, in a beautiful area. Unfortunately, I left the half million in my other pants.

Quote Originally Posted by boardsurfer View Post
    edit: you mentioned aviation industry. Centennial Airport is a smaller strip that is pretty close to that area. About 10 minutes to the East of the school's location on 470.
    I have a friend from another forum that is a pilot in the area, he says aviation is pretty bad over there too. if anything maybe a lineman (filling up gas and stuff) NOBODY is hiring atm, everyone is just getting furloughed :(

Hey, good 'ol CO will take ya.
    Where about in HR (Highlands Ranch) is this school? (Academy)

Littleton is just north of HR, as boardsurfer said, to the west up in the foothills housing is cheaper. Also to the south is Castlerock, not sure if it is cheaper there, but further south it can be cheaper. Thing is, you'd have to drive for cheap housing.
    I was told a few weeks ago that Douglas County Sheriff was hiring dispatchers, or deputy's, can't remember exactly. Check: Douglas County Sheriff | Douglas County, Colorado | Official Website
    Also, I'm told that Denver County Sheriff does not require employees to live in the county.

Cost of living? Geeze, I've lived here long enough to have forgotten how it compares.
    Until last February, I have worked for 8+ years around Centennial Airport, in the aviation industry, it's kinda "busted" right now.
    I'm going into business with a few friends for ourselves now.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Thanks elkhunter. I'll check out Douglass Co SO. (just checked, not hiring deputies now :()

how are the gun laws there? OC is 'ok'?

OC is good anywhere but city of Denver without a permit. You may get hassled some places more than others (Like Aurora), but I haven't in the few times I have OCed. Jefferson County (NW of Littleton) and Douglas county (Littleton and south) are 'shall issue'. Getting a permit requires the class, background check, and a few dollars. Mine took 87 days in JeffCo.

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    Well,

Time has come and aviation industry has hit bare bottom...

I need to start looking for some 'other' carriers in my lifetime to make sure flying is what I want to do, or something I've always wanted to do, be LEO...

Since I'm not a citizen, alot of states won't hire me. CO is one of few states that would hire me...

I'm thinking about moving there to go to an academy and then try to get a police officer/deputy job... it could be anywhere in the state.

The academy I'm thinking of is this: Welcome to the Highlands Ranch Public Safety Training Institute

its the only one that won't take arm and a leg since they aren't a college (I'd be out of state) and it looks just like what I had in mind. I'm excited about hearing back from them....

now the question that I have is, what would the cost of living be there? (they are in Littleton, CO) housing, roommates??? and what about a temporary job? for all I care I could work at a bar on the nights/weekends as a bouncer (which i've done before) or work at a home improvement
    dept... just something to help pay bills....

well?
    You might want to check out USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site too. There's a big military presence in CO, and even the military uses civilian LEOs these days.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Sponsored Links