Take away guns and criminals are still criminals. UK Knife Issues: MERGED

This is a discussion on Take away guns and criminals are still criminals. UK Knife Issues: MERGED within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://blogs.abcnews.com/worldview/2...ife-crime.html Criminals will be criminals regardless of the tool they can use! U.K. Knife Crime at Its Highest in 3 Decades December 29, 2008 12:50 ...

Thread: Take away guns and criminals are still criminals. UK Knife Issues: MERGED

Take away guns and criminals are still criminals. UK Knife Issues: MERGED

http://blogs.abcnews.com/worldview/2...ife-crime.html

Criminals will be criminals regardless of the tool they can use!

U.K. Knife Crime at Its Highest in 3 Decades
    December 29, 2008 12:50 PM

By LAMA HASAN, Correspondent, ABC News London

We’ve always known that knife crime in the U.K. has been on the rise and a serious problem for the authorities who’ve struggled to contain it. It has taken over terrorism as the Metropolitan Police’s No. 1 priority.

But we didn’t know the full extent of knife crime until today. The U.K.'s opposition party, which is the Conservative Party, released some sobering facts and figures that say knife-related killings have soared to a record high, the highest in three decades.

According to police figures obtained under the freedom of information laws by the Conservative Party there have been 277 homicides from knives or sharp instruments -- that’s five people being killed a week, in the past year.

Among the victims was 18-year-old actor Rob Knox. He acted alongside Daniel Radcliffe in ‘’Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.’’ Knox was killed trying to defend his younger brother after a fight broke out and then continued outside a bar. Knox died from stab wounds.

The Conservatives argue that under the current Labor government leadership, the U.K. has failed to tackle the underlying causes of crime, such as drugs, family breakdown and gang culture.

James Brokenshire, a Conservative spokesman, said, “Knife crime is a scourge which claims too many lives and ruins countless others. Yet under Labor it has soared. The government’s only response is short-term, ad hoc police operations, the results of which they spin and manipulate anyway to try to get a good story.”

The woman in charge of making Britain a safer place is Home Affairs Secretary Jacqui Smith, who recently admitted she didn’t feel safe walking in her neighborhood alone at night. Earlier this month, she had to apologize for misquoting figures that suggested the number of stabbings and teenagers carrying weapons were on the decrease. Smith came under criticism from the head of the government watchdog, the U.K. Statistics Authority, saying the data released was "premature, irregular and selective."

What’s the government doing about it? It has started a 6.5 million dollar program that is designed to target 10 areas deemed problematic in the U.K. This includes more stop-and-search operations and airport-style security at some subway stations.

Coinciding with these new figures today, the government is beginning to talk tough and act tough. New legislation was announced that says people caught carrying knives are to face tougher punishments, such as doing at least 18 hours of community work a week, and will be subject to curfews. A little more humiliating perhaps is that criminals will be expected to wear high-visibility orange jackets bearing the words “community payback” when they are doing their work. These sanctions will come into play next week.

But the Conservatives say it’s still not enough. They are putting the onus on the Labor government and want more to be done to slash knife crimes in the country.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

People always figure out a way, it is not the guns.

I was amazed in Canada reading the paper and watching the news every day. More people killed by baseball bats, clubs, knives, etc. that I would have ever imagined. In one area, the "gangs" were known to carry cut off baseball bats under their coats and then beating people to death with them. I told the Canadians, I would rather be shot than that.

Restricting or eliminating guns, does not stop nor control violence or murder.

Senior Moderator
    Its the mindset that makes people thugs.

A thug is a thug anywhere you go. They only understand force.

The Brits are encouraging thugs to prosper by handicapping the citizens every chance they get.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

GPS
    They never learn. Back in history the Brits made almost every crime you could think of a hanging offense against the crown. They set up public executions to serve as a deterent. The crowds that came out to watch the executions ended up being victimized by pickpockets, which was another crime punishable by hanging. The criminals will be criminals no matter what. If the government removes knives, they will use pipes, bats, large sticks, bows and arrows etc. They need to give their citizens back their right to self defense.
    Cordially,
    GPS

Visit U.S. Concealed Carry - The Ultimate Resource for the Armed Citizen http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/inde...ffID=GStrecker

VIP Member
    To bad the politicians don't get it.

Their answer will be to totally ban knives (they've already done nearly that anyway...). When that doesn't work, they'll put more limits on the law-abiding. They'll do more searches of people. They'll probably add metal detectors all over the place.

Then they'll ban rocks & sticks.....& dirty looks.........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

You're not wrong about metal detectors.
    We now have them on the London Underground (Subway) not everywhere but its something "they" want.
    I have carried a Leatherman since 1996, back in 2002 when on a trip to the Land of the Free (and cheap for us) I "upgraded" my leatherman to a locking blade version.
    I can carry the locking version when at work (good reson to carry as I run a window film company)
    But I have been advised by my neighbour (LEO MET Police) not to carry the lock version when not at work.
    Stupid isn't it?

Tint Bob
    A Very Cold UK!

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    To bad the politicians don't get it.

Their answer will be to totally ban knives (they've already done nearly that anyway...). When that doesn't work, they'll put more limits on the law-abiding. They'll do more searches of people. They'll probably add metal detectors all over the place.

Then they'll ban rocks & sticks.....& dirty looks.........
    I think they do get it. They know what they are doing. Its about control of the citizens. If they disarm the honest citizens those citizens will have no other choice than to ask the government to protect them from the criminals.

As their sole protector the government will need to assume even more control of the citizens in order to fully protect them. We even hear the NEEDS rule being applied here more and more.
    Allowing the government decide what you NEED before allowing you to have it.

When we allow the government to be the sole protector, and worse the sole provider of people it has already assumed total control.

Michael
    Michael

Knives NOW! Then FISTS!

U.K. Knife Crime at Its Highest in 3 Decades
    By LAMA HASAN, Correspondent, ABC News London

We’ve always known that knife crime in the U.K. has been on the rise and a serious problem for the authorities who’ve struggled to contain it. It has taken over terrorism as the Metropolitan Police’s No. 1 priority.

But we didn’t know the full extent of knife crime until today. The U.K.'s opposition party, which is the Conservative Party, released some sobering facts and figures that say knife-related killings have soared to a record high, the highest in three decades.

According to police figures obtained under the freedom of information laws by the Conservative Party there have been 277 homicides from knives or sharp instruments -- that’s five people being killed a week, in the past year.

Among the victims was 18-year-old actor Rob Knox. He acted alongside Daniel Radcliffe in ‘’Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.’’ Knox was killed trying to defend his younger brother after a fight broke out and then continued outside a bar. Knox died from stab wounds.

The Conservatives argue that under the current Labor government leadership, the U.K. has failed to tackle the underlying causes of crime, such as drugs, family breakdown and gang culture.

James Brokenshire, a Conservative spokesman, said, “Knife crime is a scourge which claims too many lives and ruins countless others. Yet under Labor it has soared. The government’s only response is short-term, ad hoc police operations, the results of which they spin and manipulate anyway to try to get a good story.”

The woman in charge of making Britain a safer place is Home Affairs Secretary Jacqui Smith, who recently admitted she didn’t feel safe walking in her neighborhood alone at night. Earlier this month, she had to apologize for misquoting figures that suggested the number of stabbings and teenagers carrying weapons were on the decrease. Smith came under criticism from the head of the government watchdog, the U.K. Statistics Authority, saying the data released was "premature, irregular and selective."

What’s the government doing about it? It has started a 6.5 million dollar program that is designed to target 10 areas deemed problematic in the U.K. This includes more stop-and-search operations and airport-style security at some subway stations.

Coinciding with these new figures today, the government is beginning to talk tough and act tough. New legislation was announced that says people caught carrying knives are to face tougher punishments, such as doing at least 18 hours of community work a week, and will be subject to curfews. A little more humiliating perhaps is that criminals will be expected to wear high-visibility orange jackets bearing the words “community payback” when they are doing their work. These sanctions will come into play next week.

But the Conservatives say it’s still not enough. They are putting the onus on the Labor government and want more to be done to slash knife crimes in the country.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Gee,

18 hours of community service and a pretty orange vest, that really ought to curb the knife crimes in the UK.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Gee,

18 hours of community service and a pretty orange vest, that really ought to curb the knife crimes in the UK.
    Remember, the Brits for the most part make our liberals look good. I mean, what do you expect from people who didn't like Reagan putting Pershing missiles in (then) West Germany, for fear of "making the Russians angry"? The same people whose approach to crime is "give it up, don't make the criminal mad". See a pattern here? Oh, and we can't forget the Brits' approach to armed self defense -- put that uppity farmer in jail for daring to use a gun against a home invader. Puts quite the damper on the government's little utopia they have going.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Wonder how long it'll be before carrying socks and rocks will be illegal. Tradesman will have to register their hammers and cordless drills.

How sad.

Links