Nearly attacked by two dogs.

This is a discussion on Nearly attacked by two dogs. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Title says it all. Out deer hunting today with my muzzleloader and was walking back to the vehicle down a country road. Two big (85 ...

Thread: Nearly attacked by two dogs.

VIP Member

Title says it all. Out deer hunting today with my muzzleloader and was walking back to the vehicle down a country road. Two big (85 -90 lb) boxers come blasting out of the woods and come right for me. I unslung my gun and was shouting at them. I had the safety off and my finger on the trigger, gun pointed at dog #1's head. It came up to about 12 inches from the muzzle and I was going to shoot it. I shouted one last STOP!!!! It stopped and backed off. They circled me for about ten minutes and made a few more runs at me but none as bad as the first. My friends showed up and they took off. It was a little scary to say the least.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Ew, two dogs, one shot. Glad you could shout them down.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Always put something between yourself and a charging dog. They will stop most of the time. Nice restraint! Now go kick the owner's ass.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I wouldn't of let him get that close if he's still charging at 5 feet he's gonna get shot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    ... go kick the owner's ass.
    Exactly! A domesticated animal is a direct reflection of its owner and the care it receives.

Had a similiar situation with two doberman's. Only difference was I couldn't see them when coming out of woods walking through field with weeds 4 ft high. I was practicing safe hunting techniques like I was taught (while walking out, rifle unloaded, bullets in pocket). Heard them from a distance but before I could even get to bullets they were on me and chomping at the end of my rifle which I was using to keep them away. I managed to back all the way out to my vehicle that way and got in and took off. It was my friends land, the dogs were the neighbors and anytime after that I had my pistol strapped to my side ready to go. One of the dogs shortly afterward got hit by a water truck and the other must have been the timid one because he/she never bothered us again.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Two big (85 -90 lb) boxers come blasting out of the woods and come right for me.

It came up to about 12 inches ...
    Too close for me. If I were 20yrs old and seriously fit, I might well believe I could fend them off, but not anymore. A full attack by two ~100 lb dogs is not okay. It can easily be deadly, if it runs to conclusion. I am fairly certain I would have fired at them, knifed them, or sent them flying with the walking stick (stout cane) I use in the field, in that same situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Title says it all. Out deer hunting today with my muzzleloader and was walking back to the vehicle down a country road. Two big (85 -90 lb) boxers come blasting out of the woods and come right for me. I unslung my gun and was shouting at them. I had the safety off and my finger on the trigger, gun pointed at dog #1's head. It came up to about 12 inches from the muzzle and I was going to shoot it. I shouted one last STOP!!!!
    12 inches?
    Sounds like you waited way too long. Allowed them to get way too close.

Is there any way to have reported the incident to a ranger or other authority?

Glad the incident did not end in any bites. Doesn't look like the gun was any help. But it wasn't needed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I wouldn't of let him get that close if he's still charging at 5 feet he's gonna get shot
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Too close for me. If I were 20yrs old and seriously fit, I might well believe I could fend them off, but not anymore. A full attack by two ~100 lb dogs is not okay. It can easily be deadly, if it runs to conclusion. I am fairly certain I would have fired at them, knifed them, or sent them flying with the walking stick (stout cane) I use in the field, in that same situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    12 inches?
    Sounds like you waited way too long. Allowed them to get way too close.

Is there any way to have reported the incident to a ranger or other authority?

Glad the incident did not end in any bites. Doesn't look like the gun was any help. But it wasn't needed.
    I agree it was too close, but I had only one shot. I wanted to be 100% sure of it. With one dead the other is not nearly as scary. I had heavy clothes on, I'm not a small guy and I'm only 36 yrs old. I also would be armed with a gun shaped club.

The other reason I didn't shoot is the bigger reason. The aftermath. I shoot this dog and now I may need a lawyer or get sued by their owner. Also as a hunter I try to be as respectful of "the neighbors" as possible. I'm pretty sure that if I killed someones dog I would lose that good hunting spot forever.

All of the above said I was less than a second away from shooting the first dog when it backed off. As to the distance of 12 inches, I could have touched the dog on the nose with the muzzle of my gun if I took a quick step foward. I figured it would try to bite the gun and that was when I would've pulled the trigger.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I would rather need the lawyer then be dead or recovering in the hospital from being mauled. You were very lucky. Here in Washington the only pistol one can carry while hunting with a muzzelloader is a one of a muzzelloading variety. If I were a Muzzelloader I would carry at least 2 pistols for just this type of senario.

or you could stay home and not hunt anymore..you were LUCKY! I have 200 acres here and I am ALWAYS armed..any dog come out of the woods charging me, it's an automatic death sentence..and if I can find the owner of the dog, he will pay me for the round and come get his dog! PERIOD!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Here in Washington the only pistol one can carry while hunting with a muzzelloader is a one of a muzzelloading variety. If I were a Muzzelloader I would carry at least 2 pistols for just this type of senario.
    A pair of flintlock pistol BUGs in ankle holsters, I love it!
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Don't mean to jack the thread but this reminds me of a story I've been meaning to tell:

I wondered for a long time why my father was adamant about shooting any stray dog or cat on our 400 acre ranch. My brother and I were on strict orders to shoot them on sight. If were out patroling the ranch and saw a cat my dad would take a gun (away from me if he didnt have one) and shoot it (The ranch was far from civilization and any dog or cat there was feral). We knew the cats were killing game birds and dogs had potential for killing livestock but I never knew the reason for his hard heartedness.

Just last year he finally told me that when they were raising sheep on that same ranch many years before they had about 35 sheep massacred by a pack of feral dogs. Some were not killed outright and had to be destroyed. Those sheep were a large portion of their livelihood. Feral ex-pets can seriously disrupt an domestic as well as wild animal population. They usually are afraid of humans but if they were hungry enough you better watch out.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Had a Deputy attacked by 2 pit bulls, yesterday I think; knocked him down and he could not get up. He finally got his hand out of the dogs mouth and reached his gun and shot one. That stopped the attack until back up arrived, the other dog was finally captured.
    He was treated and released.

Too close for my comfort level, glad you came out OK. If that had been me it would have been a bang and a swing.

I'd be having words with the owner either way, to explain why I killed his dogs or why he needs to keep them better.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Sponsored Links