A bullet made my roof leak

This is a discussion on A bullet made my roof leak within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The past few rain storms we have had here I have noticed that the ceiling fan in my bathroom has been leaking. Today we had ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The past few rain storms we have had here I have noticed that the ceiling fan in my bathroom has been leaking. Today we had decent weather so I crawled up on the roof to see if there were any torn shingles or nails that could be causing my leak. I noticed something that didn't look like it was suppose to be there. Upon closer inspection I noticed that it looked like a bullet. I do not live near any range's or cemetaries (21 gun salute) where guns could or would have been fired. I live in a neighborhood in town so I have that uneasy feeling knowing people are shooting what ever they have into the air. Now I need some help from you relaoder or ballistic guys out there. I work in LE and after showing it to some others around work we believe it may be a 30.06 or 7.62 round but are not sure. The department is split down the middle as to which it could be. I am thinking 30.06. I took some pictures of said bullet next to a .223 round just to show size. Any thoughts as to what this may be?
    Attached Images

You really need a set of calipers and find the bullet diameter. I always thought 21 gun salutes used blanks, or wooden bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You really need a set of calipers and find the bullet diameter. I always thought 21 gun salutes used blanks, or wooden bullets?
    I think they do however my parents live near a cemetary and they have had 2 or 3 bullets end up in their roof.

Senior Moderator
    Looks to me to be 180 grain 30 caliber bullet.

The .30 cal could be any 30 cal, like a .308, .30-06 or even a 300 Win Mag.300 Weatherby or one of the various .30 short mags.

.30 caliber is 7.62.

I'll rule out the 30-30 because its a spitzer and I'll rule out the 7.62x 39 because it's too long.

It hasnt expanded, it must have reached terminal velocity, meaning that it was pretty much done when it hit. It appears to be Full Metal Jacket so it could be military surplus or a target round.

When doing salutes, live ammo is not used, they fire blanks.

I think they do however my parents live near a cemetary and they have had 2 or 3 bullets end up in their roof.
    If they did it was from hunters, not from salutes. Most guns used in salutes use BFA's.(blank firing adapters) to allow them to cycle.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    I've never known salutes to be done with live ammo, unless at sea or in country.

Anywhoo, is deer hunting with a rifle legal in Indiana? If so, thats more than likely the source... also remember the starting point can be several miles away when talking about rifles such as a 30-06 or 308. Thats my guess too, a 308.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The way it was in the roof and the side of the house that it was on it came from town. I am just glad it hit the roof and nothing else that it could have done damage to.

Administrator
    How far away is town?
    "Just blame Sixto"

or 7.62 x54r, I shoot some in 180 and 202gr
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ...............Anywhoo, is deer hunting with a rifle legal in Indiana? If so, thats more than likely the source... also remember the starting point can be several miles away when talking about rifles such as a 30-06 or 308. Thats my guess too, a 308.
    Bingo!!
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Well I am on the outer edge of a town of about 60,000+ people so I guess I am in town.

Could have been someone celebrating the 4th of july.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Lead Moderator
    Take the bullet into a gun store that has reloading components.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Happens a lot around here around 4th of July and New Year... some people like to use their guns for fireworks. But usually it is handguns.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glocksmygun View Post
    I do not live near any range's or cemetaries (21 gun salute) where guns could or would have been fired.
    If you ever see people firing a "gun salute" with live ammo I'd suggest talking to someone in charge! Even the Old Guard (the real pros) use blanks!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I would like to know how the bullet was causing the roof leak. Is this 3 tab comp roof? Did it crack the decking?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links