Wisconsin Your Quarters Are Worth Big Bucks

This is a discussion on Wisconsin Your Quarters Are Worth Big Bucks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WASHINGTON (Jan. 20) - The release of thousands of flawed Wisconsin state quarters that set off a buying frenzy, and speculations of foul play, was ...

Thread: Wisconsin Your Quarters Are Worth Big Bucks

Administrator

Wisconsin Your Quarters Are Worth Big Bucks

WASHINGTON (Jan. 20) - The release of thousands of flawed Wisconsin state quarters that set off a buying frenzy, and speculations of foul play, was a mistake stemming from an ill-timed meal break, a government investigation has found.

Note the extra leaf on the bottom left of the corn husk.

As many as 50,000 of the faulty coins, 50 times the amount earlier thought, entered circulation in 2004 after the coins were produced and bagged during an operator's break, according to the Treasury Department's Office of Inspector General.
    The flawed Wisconsin coins, which have sold for thousands of dollars, appear to have an extra leaf on the left side of an ear of corn. The Wisconsin quarters went into circulation in 2004 as part of the 10-year state quarter program run by the Mint, an agency in the Treasury Department.

The quarters "were most likely produced as a result of machine or product deficiencies, not as a result of an intentional act," according to the report, obtained by USA TODAY through a Freedom of Information Act request.
    According to the report:
    A press operator at the Denver Mint working on a Friday night in November 2004 noticed blemishes on coins produced at one of the five presses he was operating.
    The operator stopped the machine and left for a meal break.
    The operator returned to see the machine running and assumed someone else changed the die.
    When conducting regular inspections, the operator realized the die was not changed. The press likely had been operating for 1 hours, and thousands of coins were "commingled" with unblemished quarters, the report said.

No one was fired as a result of the incident. Mint spokeswoman Becky Bailey says by the time the final error was realized, the quarters were bagged and ready to be shipped. It would have been too costly to separate the blemished quarters from the good quarters by hand or to destroy them, Bailey says.

"Over the years, we have greatly tightened our quality control, and this is a highly unusual occurrence," Bailey says, noting 5 million quarters are produced daily at the Denver Mint.
    The flawed quarters have popped up mainly in Tucson and San Antonio.

One set of three Wisconsin quarters, two flawed and one in good condition, sold for $2,800 on eBay Tuesday.

"Unless there is a hoard out there (that would flood the market), I would be very surprised if it reduces the value very much," she says.

2. Remove Ads

wow.................if I had $2,800 just sitting around THAT'S what I'd spend it on.
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Yeah,either that ...OR...a new ED BROWN. Let's see,let me think on this a while. Hummmmm -----

Lead Moderator
    How do you accidently add an extra ear(on the corn) to a quarter?

Wrong set of dies that hadn't been QC'd got into the system I would guess. I once owned a "planchett strike" 1972 penny. It was made from a nickel alloy. Seems the guy I won it from in a poker game while stationed at Ft. Sill had a brother that worked in the Denver Mint. They were running coins for another nation and changed the press to pennies but there was a planchett (the disc the design is stamped onto) left in the feeder from the prior run. Kept it for 30 years until the ex found out it could be worth a couple $.
    Pershing SIR!!

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - doubt I'll ever see one but - at least I know what to check for now!

Hmmm - a new gun (or more) for a quarter - good value
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Didja ever notice the error on the New York Quarter? It shows the Statue of Liberty. The Statue of Liberty is in New Jersey. It used to be in New York but Jersey sued and won the suit so they now own the Island & Statue. I guess though, it's OK since it is in New York Harbor.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Links