Very Strange: Blind, deaf dog shot, beheaded

This is a discussion on Very Strange: Blind, deaf dog shot, beheaded within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This was in my neighborhood. Very strange story: Blind, deaf dog shot, beheaded A 50-year-old Stanfordville man has been accused of shooting a Great Dane ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Strange: Blind, deaf dog shot, beheaded

Very Strange: Blind, deaf dog shot, beheaded

This was in my neighborhood. Very strange story:

Blind, deaf dog shot, beheaded

A 50-year-old Stanfordville man has been accused of shooting a Great Dane to death and then hacking the dog’s head off, according to police and the dog’s owner, Tracey Sturgess of Woodstock.

Stanley Jablonka was arrested in the early morning hours Sunday and charged with misdemeanor violation of the New York state Agriculture and Markets Law, according to the Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office.

Sturgess said her pet was an all-white albino Harlequin Great Dane named Humphrey. She bought the male dog, which was deaf and blind, in California nearly four years ago at 6 weeks old for $3,500.

He was a gift to her 16-year-old daughter.

“He just needed someone to love and care for him,” Sturgess said Monday. “It hurts so much to even talk about this. This dog was my hero.”

Deputies said that Jablonka apparently felt that the dog was aggressive when it was barking at his brother “so he took it upon himself to shoot and kill the animal,” according to a press release from the Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies said that the suspect also cut the dog’s head off.

“He thereafter decided to decapitate the animal as he believed this was customary and needed if one wishes to have a rabies test done on a dog,” the press release says.

Sturgess said she had brought Humphrey to Jablonka’s Stissing Street home because her car needed repair. She said Jablonka is an acquaintance of hers and is a mechanic.

Sturgess said she was sleeping at Jablonka’s house at the time her dog was killed, which she believes was sometime between 11 p.m. Saturday and midnight Sunday. She said one of the witnesses to the killing woke her up and told her, “Something happened to the dog and it ain’t good.”

Sturgess said she went to a garage and found blood splattered at the end of a chain that was attached to a wall. She said Humphrey was chained up to protect him and any visitors who might surprise the blind and deaf animal and him to react.

The woman said that witnesses told her the dog was shot while chained up and then “dragged out and his head was hacked off with an ax.”

Sturgess said that witnesses told her the dog was shot with “some kind of rifle.”

A deputy at the Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office could not be reached Monday to confirm the use of an ax or rifle.

Sturgess told people there that she was calling the police. Jablonka, she said, told her she could be shot.

Another person replied, “‘It won’t be as easy to shoot her because she wouldn’t be chained to a wall,’” Sturgess said.

She said there was at least 10 witnesses to the killing, including children, one of whom is 12 years old.

Sturgess said the killing of Humphrey is probably the saddest moment of her life. During an interview, she broke down in tears several times.

Sturgess said she was in the process of writing a children’s book, “The Adventures of Humphrey, the Handicapped Canine,” to help educate people about those with disabilities.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Deputies said that Jablonka apparently felt that the dog was aggressive when it was barking at his brother “so he took it upon himself to shoot and kill the animal,” according to a press release from the Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies said that the suspect also cut the dog’s head off.

“He thereafter decided to decapitate the animal as he believed this was customary...

The woman said that witnesses told her the dog was shot while chained up and then “dragged out and his head was hacked off with an ax.”

She said there was at least 10 witnesses to the killing, including children, one of whom is 12 years old.
    Poor dog

Some people should not be allowed to have or use guns.

I guess the oft-used explain-away, "If he wouldn't have used a gun, he would have used a knife, a sword, a hatchet, a baseball bat, his bare hands..." isn't operative on this one.

That's weird in all kinds of ways. Who pays $3500 for a deaf and blind dog?! Then for the poor thing to be killed by what sounds like a crazy person while his owner is asleep? Crazy story, I hope the killer gets some serious jail time if he did it unprovoked.

I guess the oft-used explain-away, "If he wouldn't have used a gun, he would have used a knife, a sword, a hatchet, a baseball bat, his bare hands..." isn't operative on this one.
    Why not? Not to be gruesome, but since the guy used an axe to behead the poor thing after he was dead, it wouldn't have been that hard for him to use the axe as a weapon on a deaf, blind and chained animal, even one as big as a Great Dane. As always, the criminal's choice of weapon is far less relevant than his actions. The gun didn't make him do it, he chose to break the law and kill a defenseless animal. What is the difference between doing it by shooting the dog or running it over with his car? The dog is just as dead, sadly. You're right, he shouldn't have had access to guns, or freedom in general for that matter. I'd bet this isn't the first crazy and violent thing this guy has done.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

This story has got my day off to a bad start. I might be a little strange here, but it really pisses me off to see animals mistreated. Not to mention the emotional turmoil its owner is going through. Why did she pay $3500? Who knows and it does not matter. She took it upon herself to help an anumal in need, and for this she should be commended.

May God be with the person who ever intentionally mistreats my dog!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Stories like this really irritate me. He shot the dog while it was chained up?

This guy needs to have a chain around his neck, shot in the ....

Oh you get my point.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    Stanley Jablonka was arrested in the early morning hours Sunday and charged with misdemeanor violation of the New York state Agriculture and Markets Law, according to the Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office.
    Unfortunately this jerk will probably get nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Yep, blind and deaf dog chained to a wall, sounds like a real threat to me!

Sturgess told people there that she was calling the police. Jablonka, she said, told her she could be shot.

Another person replied, “‘It won’t be as easy to shoot her because she wouldn’t be chained to a wall,’” Sturgess said.
    Why wasn't he charged with threatening her life?

Anyone want to take a guess how much this moron had to drink before this all took place?

Obviously the morons punishment won't fit the crime. I can think of a few punishments that would fit, but I don't need another post deleted!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Blind, deaf dog shot, beheaded

“He thereafter decided to decapitate the animal as he believed this was customary and needed if one wishes to have a rabies test done on a dog,” the press release says.

She said Humphrey was chained up to protect him and any visitors who might surprise the blind and deaf animal and him to react.
    Sounds like he did a public service to me. A dog that was chained to "protect" people that might suprise him. Reading between the lines I'd say that this dog was a nasty and scary menace. Some old guy took it upon himself to deal with the situation and is now in trouble with the law. Fifty years ago this would not be news. Fifty years ago this would be a non-story about a guy protecting his neighborhood from some idiot with a dangerous animal. This guy was not a freak, he cut the dogs head of because he thought that's what is needed for a rabies test. That means it was nasty and drooly enough to make this guy think it might have rabies.

To Mxyzptlk: He probably could have used a bat or a knife to kill a blind deaf dog. Now that would be cruel! My guess is he wanted to kill it as quickly and as painlessly as possible.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

WTH is wrong with people, sheesh stranger by the day.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Sounds like he did a public service to me. A dog that was chained to "protect" people that might suprise him. Reading between the lines I'd say that this dog was a nasty and scary menace. Some old guy took it upon himself to deal with the situation and is now in trouble with the law. Fifty years ago this would not be news. Fifty years ago this would be a non-story about a guy protecting his neighborhood from some idiot with a dangerous animal. This guy was not a freak, he cut the dogs head of because he thought that's what is needed for a rabies test. That means it was nasty and drooly enough to make this guy think it might have rabies.

To Mxyzptlk: He probably could have used a bat or a knife to kill a blind deaf dog. Nowthat would be cruel! My guess is he wanted to kill it as quickly and as painlessly as possible.
    Man I do not want a neighbor like you or him around. I guess all the witnesses felt threatened too.

I hope I just missed the sarcasm <off>.

The owner that had a dog chained in a garage has a loose bolt too, but this story just overwhelms me on several levels, the owner, the culprit, the observers. Wow.

Stupid and sick. Yes....this guy needs jail time.

To Mxyzptlk: He probably could have used a bat or a knife to kill a blind deaf dog. Now that would be cruel! My guess is he wanted to kill it as quickly and as painlessly as possible.
    Why are you "reading between the lines" in a story that has no apparent lines to read between?

Have we heard anything about a nasty history of the dog? Did any single witness say this was a justifiable act? I would think people would come to this man's defense if anyone felt he was doing a good thing.

Considering the woman was writing a children's book about the dog, I find it hard to believe this dog was mean or angry. A nasty or violent dog would never provoke such an idea in the first place.

And even if the dog was violent or vicious, it was chained up. It does not appear there was any need to defend anyone against a chained dog. If he wanted the dog dead because he feared some eventual violent rampage there are other means to do it. Taking out a gun in front of people and plugging the dog while it was chained up is certainly not the best way to handle the situation.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post

And even if the dog was violent or vicious, it was chained up. It does not appear there was any need to defend anyone against a chained dog. If he wanted the dog dead because he feared some eventual violent rampage there are other means to do it. Taking out a gun in front of people and plugging the dog while it was chained up is certainly not the best way to handle the situation.
    Agreed he should have called the authorities to address his concerns.

Again, though, this was a dog that was chained to "protect" people that might suprise him. So the owner clearly knew that this dog had a capacity to be nasty. The article also said that this this guys brother felt threatend by the dog. As to the witness part of this: If this guy thought he was really doing something bad of immoral do you think he would have shot it in front of 12 people? I think this is just a case of an old guy and a nasty dog that is getting slanted by a liberal news media. I could be wrong, but my guess is I'm not. Like I said in my previous post 50 years ago this would be a non-story. Anyone remember our country before the lawyers and the liberals took over our overly politically correct society?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Maybe it is me but I figured the dog was named "Lucky"

Ron
    Agreed he should have called the authorities to address his concerns.

I think this is just a case of an old guy and a nasty dog that is getting slanted by a liberal news media. I could be wrong, but my guess is I'm not. Like I said in my previous post 50 years ago this would be a non-story. Anyone remember our country before the lawyers and the liberals took over our overly politically correct society?
    So now anyone who thinks that shooting and beheading a chained, blind and deaf dog is wrong is a "Liberal," and to object to this act of brutality is to be lumped with the "polictically correct" crowd.

Well, I think what he did is outrageous. He, the guy, is the vicious one, and ought to be punished for it. And you can be very assured that I am to the very far right of Liberals and hate the whole idea of political correctness.

Please don't play the Liberal media bias and politically correct stuff here. It simply doesn't wash.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links