Russian Professor Predicts Fall of U.S. in 2010

This is a discussion on Russian Professor Predicts Fall of U.S. in 2010 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - Russian Professor Predicts Fall of U.S. in 2010 - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Professor Predicts Fall of U.S. in 2010

Russian Professor Predicts Fall of U.S. in 2010

FOXNews.com - Russian Professor Predicts Fall of U.S. in 2010 - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

MOSCOW For a decade, Russian academic Igor Panarin has been predicting the U.S. will fall apart in 2010. Now he's found an eager audience: Russian state media, who are interviewing him twice a day.

A polite and cheerful man with a buzz cut, Professor Panarin insists he does not dislike Americans. But he warns that the outlook for them is dire.

"There's a 55-45 percent chance right now that disintegration will occur," says Panarin. "One could rejoice in that process," he adds, poker-faced. "But if we're talking reasonably, it's not the best scenario for Russia."

Prof. Panarin, 50 years old, is not a fringe figure. A former KGB analyst, he is dean of the Russian Foreign Ministry's academy for future diplomats. He is invited to Kremlin receptions, lectures students, publishes books, and appears in the media as an expert on U.S.-Russia relations.

Mr. Panarin posits, in brief, that mass immigration, economic decline, and moral degradation will trigger a civil war next fall and the collapse of the dollar. Around the end of June 2010, or early July, he says, the U.S. will break into six pieces with Alaska reverting to Russian control.
    Wow. Atleast now I can prepare. The end of the US in 2010, the world in 2012.

2. Remove Ads

Geez, the kooks out there. I might just go back to the reloading room and prepare for the anarchy.
    God Bless America!!

Sounds plausible.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Don't they wish.

The Russian attitude toward the US has cooled in
    the past few years ,so for a former KGB "analyst"
    making a statement like that should not be unexpected.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I think he may have gotten into a tainted batch of vodka and pickled his brain.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Sounds plausible.
    Unfortunately, I tend to agree.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    I've no idea what the guy might mean by the term "fall."

Will the US Government cease to exist? Not very likely.

If by "fall" he means things in economic terms, we are already measurably and demonstrably poorer than before, but by no means near collapse. Goods move, food stores, open, cars are manufactured and sold--at a slow pace but still the activity goes on, Apple makes wonderful products, I can pick up any of my cell phones, land lines, and make calls or communicate by internet, and I have no expectation that these will cease to exist and function. A new locally owned bank is being formed in my community by folks who know a lot more about money than I do. (which is almost anyone) They will be successful.

Militarily, I see no fall coming. We'll get out of Iraq, they will somehow continue in their miserable ways without us, and we will be better off.

If the Russian meant the word "fall" to mean stumble, we have already stumbled; lost several trillion of stock market wealth (that is of pension fund and retirement savings) and several trillions of dollars owed to lenders--bond buyers. For all of that, we are now getting a great economic stimulus thanks to the "homeostatic" mechanism of a collapse in oil prices.

The Russian commentator needs to look in the mirror. Oil is a large part of Russia's not very well diversified economy. It is they who are falling.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The Russian commentator needs to look in the mirror. Oil is a large part of Russia's not very well diversified economy. It is they who are falling.
    Very true. I am surprised that so many are taken in by a crackpot. Putin drags out this medium who has been predicting the downfall of the US for over a decade and the tin foil hat crowd nods in agreement.

I remember when Kruschev was predicting the downfall of the US in the '60s. This is the same old Soviet propaganda wrapped up in a different package. This is simply a response to the failure of Russia to take over Georgia and the placement of missile defense weapons in Eastern Europe.

Administrator
    Well, I think he greatly underestimates the inherent strength and resiliency of a great portion of our population.
    If we suffered from the same lack of entrepreneurial spirit as the Russians we would have collapsed already.
    I'll just say that if the guy is Russian & living in Russia all of his life then he can't help but be missing the "Big Picture" on what motivates a people or what drives our economy and his prediction is skewed.

BUT, we sure may be in for some tough times ahead.

See you all in the DefensiveCarry Guarded Gated Community after the "Great Fall."

A Defensive Carry Coffee Mug is your Entry Pass through the gate.

You had better buy one now from the forum store before it's too late.

EW3
    Someone's been watching Jericho...
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If we suffered from the same lack of entrepreneurial spirit as the Russians we would have collapsed already.....

I would venture to say we just came extremely close to a complete financial collapse. Our national debt is obscene and our unfunded liabilities are off the charts. We got some issues to confront, that's for sure.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Didn't they already had a fall out???
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I would venture to say we just came extremely close to a complete financial collapse. Our national debt is obscene and our unfunded liabilities are off the charts.
    Not to drift off topic from the important and dire predictions from some lunatic Russian, but if the media did not foment financial panic virtually no one would think anything of the failure of a few mismanaged and fraudulently run companies.

Anyone who invests in the stock market thinking it some risk free haven has been sold a bill of goods and deserve the (paper) losses they may have read in their last statement.

The US is not in any danger of a financial collapse. Many people are unaware or uninformed of the real economic crisis wrought by Carter and his bumbling mismanagement in the late '70s: 20% inflation, 15% unemployment. The truth is we are in good times, very good times.

Quite possibly, Obama will continue where Carter left off and create even more problems. But we survived Carter and the great Ronald Wilson Reagan put us back on track. If we survived Carter we can survive Obama and maybe in four years we can once again elect a great American to lead our great nation.

i will agree with the russian regarding our moral degeneration and our financial situation; I don't think that means we will break up into six parts, though either. We are all pretty much dependent upon each other state-to-state; imagine if the original 13 colonies were to break off and go their own way - they would be heavily industrialized states with little in the way of raw materiel, except perhaps coal. Couple that with their largely unionized work forces and high taxes they would have a tough go of it on their own without some big breaks. Southern states for the most part would survive with easy access to reasonably priced energy and raw materials.

The Alaskans would probably be taken over by Canada or Russia unless a new United States decided to step in and help.

What a fantasy........
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links