Sheep in the family

This is a discussion on Sheep in the family within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So this is a bit of a vent.... I am originally from Chicago and have many family members that live there still. This year one ...

Thread: Sheep in the family

Talking Sheep in the family

So this is a bit of a vent.... I am originally from Chicago and have many family members that live there still. This year one of them decided that in their Christmas card they would put a note saying they donated a goat or some farm animal to a family in Africa on my behalf for Christmas. While I don't have any issue with the idea as a whole what about the people in the US that are starving and our issues domestically? Anyways, she has always been the aunt to push her views on other people and talk to you about how her views are right. I think if she found out that my brother, dad and I all believe and exercise our second amendment right she might stroke out. It isn't that I really care what she thinks or that I think what my family believes is wrong, it is just we have very different views.

Anyways, I was thinking next year I get her an NRA membership in her Christmas card.....what do you think?

2. Remove Ads

Maybe the NRA membership along with GOA, CCRKBA, Second Amendment Foundation - really get her going.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Administrator
    I'd buy her a goat and have it delivered to her home.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    You're worried about what your Aunt thinks?? You say no...but then want to buy her a membership in the NRA?? Is this out of some vendetta or pay back?? Confused...and your goal is??

I say kudos if she wants to buy a goat for a starving family in Africa...haven't read about any deaths due to starvation in the states (although the eating habits of some are suspect).

Rick

I got one for everyone in my family this year. I don't have anyone that has taken a stance on gun rights in my family as this topic was not discussed until I took the interest.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ...I was thinking next year I get her an NRA membership in her Christmas card.....what do you think?
    ...buy her a membership in the NRA?? Is this out of some vendetta or pay back??
    I agree with Rick - just like teaching a pig to sing, it won't work and all it will do is annoy the pig. If asked, you should have at least a quick presentation and perhaps a longer one ready-to-go (you know, three or four good stats, a story, and a quote or two). Until she asks you why you do what you do, she'll be deaf and angry.

Now what you COULD do is send her a card describing how you bought ME an NRA renewal - I went to Africa once!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Buy her a cute little lamb...and a jar of mint jelly!
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

I like the goat idea too !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Buy her a NRA membership and order the Americas 1st Freedom magazine and don't bother sending the card to her. Just let her get the magazine. She just might read it and be open for discussion later.

Actually, my sister and her husband have given each other many cows, pigs, llamas and the like over the years through Heifer International:

Meaningful Gifts | Heifer International Online Gift Catalog

Give a Llama:

They did substantial due diligence before they began gifting through this program.

It's a very interesting organization and very effective. My sister and BIL travel a lot and have seen firsthand the results of the programs.

Having said that, I'd skip the NRA deal unless you just want to "retaliate" to get her PO'd, and consider giving her a gift she'd really understand and appreciate. Then, after you've impressed her with your gift, talk about 2A. Win her over first, on her terms, then teach.

BTW: Welcome!

Oh yeah.....definitely get her an NRA membership. That way you are virtually assured to never get one of her asinine Christmas cards again!

Why does her card remind me of the cards the George Costanza gave to his co-workers at Kruger Industrial Smoothing one year?

"This year a donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund.....Money for people."

Gifts like that are kind of a cop out. They really don't take much effort and it shows that the person who gave it to you really didn't put much thought into a gift for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    I agree with Rick - just like teaching a pig to sing, it won't work and all it will do is annoy the pig.
    I don't know how many of you grew up on a farm but I did and let me tell you, annoying a pig can be extremely therapeutic sometimes.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Kgregson View Post
    Anyways, I was thinking next year I get her an NRA membership in her Christmas card.....what do you think?
    Sure. Give her the NRA membership. See what happens.

Anyways, she has always been the aunt to push her views on other people and talk to you about how her views are right... It isn't that I really care what she thinks or that I think what my family believes is wrong, it is just we have very different views.
    Seems like you care to me.

You can send me a Christmas card next year.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

If your aunt is a true tree-hugging liberal, you would waste a perfectly good NRA membership, but it could MAYBE turn her from the dark side. Some people give donation presents because they truly believe in the cause, others because it is politically correct, and appears to be a caring thing to do. Hopefully she is a nice sheep with her heart in a warm fuzzy place, who does not understand all the realities of the world. Give her the benefit of the doubt, but tell her to send you the goat next time; you might be able to trade it for a decent gun.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Links