In-law issues

This is a discussion on In-law issues within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just got back from driving 2500 miles from Orlando to Phoenix after visiting my mom and wife's parents. Well my wife's nephew is getting married ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In-law issues

In-law issues

Just got back from driving 2500 miles from Orlando to Phoenix after visiting my mom and wife's parents.

Well my wife's nephew is getting married this June, In-laws said that they will pay for wife's and our son's plane fare to Michigan to go to the wedding in June. Then they looked at me and said thats all they can afford and if I wanted to go, I would have to pay for my own.

I found it an insult, but at least I do not have to pay for their plane tickets. Its just that they said this in front of me. Oh, BTW, they do have the means to buy all our tickets, he is a retired University professor and Dentist. They done thing like this before, flying out the whole family, excluding me and paid for their entire vacation at Disney World.

I think they should of done this without me being in the same room.

Would you guys consider this an insult ???
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I would consider it a vacation. Stay home, do some shooting, watch TV in your undies.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Stay home and with the $500 - $600 you would've spent on airfare buy a new gun and go shooting for a few days...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I'd second that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I would consider it a vacation. Stay home, do some shooting, watch TV in your undies.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Unless you had your heart set on going to the wedding, I'd just take the time for myself and do whatever I wanted. Someday, it will come back around.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    Evidently your in-laws don't care for you. Maybe they resent you taking their "baby" so far from home. Regardless don't worry about it, as long as you and the wife are happy, that is what counts. If possible, I would refuse their offer and take the wife and kids myself. Sooner or later they will try and hold it over you that "they" flew them out to the wedding.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Hummm....what is your wife's view??? I believe mine would say "I]m not going if your not going".

Rick

I'm not a big fan of weddings. This would be just fine for me. The only reason I would go is to support my wife if she wanted to go.

And YES it was an insult! Your inlaws are leaving you out of YOUR family(wife and kids). You should take a little "me" time. Go out of town to see friends, go hunting, take a shooting course. Take advantage of it. Your revenge should be you percieved indifference to the situation.
    Draw once, Fire twice!

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Hummm....what is your wife's view??? I believe mine would say "I]m not going if your not going".

Rick
    This is the response I'd hope for from my wife.

Flip it around, and if my family said that to my wife, I'd refuse to go to the wedding. I'd tell them to take the wedding and shove it. My wife and I are a unit, and won't be divided by relatives with poor manners.

Note: my family would never do this. They have way too much class and manners, plus they care about my wife. Obviously your inlaws don't care about you and are letting you know it publicly. If it happened to me, I'd probably tell my inlaws to shove it.
    Last edited by Bumper; January 2nd, 2009 at 04:14 AM. Reason: minor edit

Looks like you are not invited.
    I wouldn't go somewhere I'm not wanted.

Use the time & $$ to get a new toy, take it to the range and make the best of your "vacation".

Just send us pics of the toy and targets you shoot!
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Buy a new gun and have fun at the range, and be thankful you got out of going.

Administrator
    I would hope your wife would show some spine and not go, but if not, I'd help her pack and enjoy your vacation. If you really wanted to go, you need to show some spine yourself, decline their offer, man up and pay your entire familys way.

In fact, if I were in this postion, I'd probably plan my own trip somewhere. Travelling alone is a lot of fun, and you can do a lot more for a whole lot less cash. I'd be tempted to do a quick European trip if my wife's family pulled a stunt like this. Then again, Vegas might be a nice quick trip for you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I really do not want to go, I would rather stay home and relax. I am not close with her brother and their kids anyway. When we lived in Michigan, I/we only saw them once a year and they lived less then 20 miles from us. Also they never called or kept in touch with my wife, she always kept in touch with them. If it was not the effort of my wife, she would never hear from them either. Now that we live in AZ, she never heard from them in the last 3 years, no contact what so-ever until we met them in Florida with her parents.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    Stay home and with the $500 - $600 you would've spent on airfare buy a new gun and go shooting for a few days...
    sounds like the way to get that new gun you have been eyeing. (isn't everyone always thinking of the next purchase?) That or fly there and take yourself off to visit some cool place in Michigan. Points out that you can afford it but do not want to bother with these insulting people.

a better way for them to have stated this would have been to say they had enough money set aside that it should cover the tickets for 2 people to go but not all three versus specifically singleing you out.

I would be insulted. They could have at least said "Here's 'X' amount of money to help with airfare." but to say they would pay for you wife and kid is an insult. I'd stay home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links