My new job requires me to carry....

This is a discussion on My new job requires me to carry.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; .....and it's not a good thing. after being out of work for a few months, i finally landed a forlklift operating gig with a local ...

Thread: My new job requires me to carry....

.....and it's not a good thing.

after being out of work for a few months, i finally landed a forlklift operating gig with a local shipping company. like so many other businesses, they don't allow their employees to carry weapons on the property; that means, not even locked in my car.

my second day on the job saw me working on the floor, with a few others, trying to gtet an order out in a hurry. one of the guys strikes up a conversation, about the Penn State/USC game. i said that i wasn't much of a football guy, and that i was a more of a hoops kind of guy.

"oh yeah? well, me too, but it's not like we gotta a lot of choice at the work center."

that's not exactly what i expected to come out of his mouth.

during the course of the day, i discovered that over 75% of the guys working there are felons, on parole, on work release, or have done their bid. and it's not like these are just child support deadbeats, or shoplifters, or some kid who got busted with a bag of weed; i found out that most of them were in for violent felonies: assault, attempted murder, rape, armed robbery, etc.

it gets better. these guys are walking around with boxcutters.

if finding a job wasn't so hard in this area, i would have walked out. listening to their lunchtime conversation, most of them aren't penitent in the least. most of the conversation consisted of how they couldn't wait to get home, so they could pop some vicodins/score an eightball/get some rock/find the dude who snitched/go to the bar and get hammered/etc, etc, etc.

i understand that every man deserves a chance to be forgiven, but while i put their pasts behind me, i'm keeping my gun right next to me, while i drive that forklift.

in the meantime, i'll continue to send out my resume, so i can get the hell outta there ASAP.

Administrator
    Yuck. Good luck.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Most likely the employer gets some kind of subsidy for hiring these guys. I'd drop that job like a bad habit.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Keep that resume' in circulation. The bad part of that you employer will eventually find out that you're still looking for a job. Oh well, his loss. Good luck, keep your SA on alert.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I only had a job like that once while working in the summer to pay for college. I hated it, they were driving forklifts stoned out of their minds. Their were several occasions where I was almost ran down. I was also asked to assist in robbing places. I hope that you find something you like
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Yeah, get the heck out of there as fast as you can find another job. You don't want to be there when some kind of prison yard fight breaks out.

Watch your back and be careful, if one one of those scum bags gets hold of your gun, it could be real bad.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'd definitely be breaking company policy in that case. Good call on continuing the job search.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

like so many other businesses, they don't allow their employees to carry weapons on the property; that means, not even locked in my car.
    So if the business says no guns, then are you breaking a law by carrying, in your state? If so, your in good company with all the other employees.

Find another job asap.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    So if the business says no guns, then are you breaking a law by carrying, in your state? If so, your in good company with all the other employees.

Find another job asap.
    nope, not breaking the law, only violating company policy. these sort of things, like "no guns" signs, carry no legal weight in PA. at most, they'd fire me/ask me to leave. if i didn't, however, i could be charged with trespassing, and arrested.

Sponsored Links