That's Gotta Hurt: Man shoots self in foot

This is a discussion on That's Gotta Hurt: Man shoots self in foot within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; (My neck of the woods) Shandaken man shoots self in foot - The Daily Freeman News: Serving the Hudson Valley since 1871(DailyFreeman.com) SHANDAKEN – A ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That's Gotta Hurt: Man shoots self in foot

That's Gotta Hurt: Man shoots self in foot

(My neck of the woods)

Shandaken man shoots self in foot - The Daily Freeman News: Serving the Hudson Valley since 1871(DailyFreeman.com)

SHANDAKEN – A 20-year-old Mount Tremper man was taken to Benedictine Hospital after he accidentally shot himself in the foot.

Jacob Lefferts of 5468 state Route 212 accidentally fired a 12-gauge shotgun into his right foot while attempting to unload the firearm on Friday afternoon, Ulster County sheriff’s deputies said. Deputies said Lefferts was treated at the scene by members of the town of Shandaken Ambulance Squad and taken to the emergency room at Benedictine Hospital.

Deputies said the incident occurred at approximately 2:57 p.m. and they were summoned to the residence following a 911 call.

In addition to members of the ambulance squad, deputies were assisted by the Shandaken police department.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

ooh ouch it was a shotgun too...

Also, the article didn't say what size shot. Could be anywhere from a slug to #9's.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Give some people an inch they will take a foot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post

Not only that, but the muzzle was probably only a "foot away".
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    That's really bad. But I know you had to take a shot at it. (nyuk,nyuk)
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Also, the article didn't say what size shot. Could be anywhere from a slug to #9's.
    At that distance it would not make any difference if it was #9 shot or a slug.

Well, I guess that is one way to unload it.

Guess he's footloose and fancy free now,

Probably not much remaining. Ouch.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Guess he's footloose and fancy free now,

Probably not much remaining. Ouch.

More like fancy loose and foot free now. Oh, and I've shot myself in the foot figuratively many times, this guy just misunderstood what the saying actully means.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    More like fancy loose and foot free now.
    You beat me to it! But, if there are any legal charges, and he decides to fight it, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

So sorry.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

You beat me to it! But, if there are any legal charges, and he decides to fight it, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

So sorry.
    He won't even have a "leg up" in his fight..........
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    He won't even have a "leg up" in his fight..........
    Yes, but when he tells his story, he will really be able to put his foot in his mouth.

(Stop me before I go crazy with this)
    -- Benjamin Franklin

This reminds me of when I was young and stupid...

When I was in my late teens a few hundred years ago… I was house-sitting for a neighbor out in the country. He owned this really nice double barreled 16 gauge that I just fell in love with. I was down in the basement living room cleaning the shotgun when I thought I heard a car pull in the drive.

As I stood up to look out the window I closed the breach of the shotgun and placed the barrel on my right foot as I stretched to see out the window. While I was in this unnatural position I accidently pulled both triggers and heard the distinctive double click of both hammers falling on empty chambers.

My first thought was that I was sure glad that I had not loaded the gun. After I ascertained that there was no car I returned to my chair and opened the breach once more. Imagine my surprise to see two shinny shotgun shells with nice neat dimples in the primers! As I was asking myself why I would have put fired and empty shells back in the gun I extracted two very live rounds from the barrels!

OK, I know what you are thinking, duds! Nope after I set there long enough to start breathing again I took those shells outside and re-chambered them and fired the both with nary a problem! For those of you who are wondering I am sure they were about a #6 or #5 shot as that is what I used most of the time back then. Because I was so far out in the country and this was before 911 I most likely would have bleed to death before I could find someone to help. My grandparents were the closest and they lived about 5 miles away and did not have a phone. I don’t think I ever told my grandfather about this.

I have this story in my list of miracles that I have experienced in my life. Just so you know I had been using that gun for about a year before this and for about two years after and it never miss-fired any other time.
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Yes, but when he tells his story, he will really be able to put his foot in his mouth.

(Stop me before I go crazy with this)
    Well, somebody has to put their "foot down".
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links