Vehicle Registration

Vehicle Registration

This is a discussion on Vehicle Registration within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yesterday I realized that I haven't gotten the little card to re-register my truck, which in Idaho is due 12/31 of each year. So I ...

View Poll Results: What would you do?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Hang up, then go in and say it wasn't running for the last year and only pay for new year.

7 12.96%
  • 2. Pay for last year and the new year.

25 46.30%
  • 3. Say nothing and see what happends, if they don't notice it's their bad or if they do pay up.

22 40.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vehicle Registration

Yesterday I realized that I haven't gotten the little card to re-register my truck, which in Idaho is due 12/31 of each year. So I call the Motor Vehicle Dept. and ask about it. The lady asked for the license number of my truck and looks it up, then I hear a pause "Ahh sir that vehicle hasn't been registered since 2007" What? no way! And I get out of my truck and sure enough 2007 stickers. I went an entire year with expired plates.

So what would you do?

1. Hang up, then go in and say it wasn't running for the last year and only pay for new year.

2. Pay for last year and the new year.

3. Say nothing and see what happens, if they don't notice it's their bad or if they do pay up.

Before you dog me here's what I did:

Since I'm a 100% Disabled Veteran, in Idaho you get one vehicle registration free and it happens to be my truck, so no harm, no foul. They just sent me new stickers.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Just like Monopoly "Bank Error your favor"
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

I have driven worse than that for longer. Though if it were my hide on the line, i would say it hadn't run and just register it for 09'. i wouldn't push my luck, but like cpmiv

Just like Monopoly "Bank Error your favor"
    they messed up, and you set it strait. If anything, THEY should be paying YOU
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Administrator
    How did they mess up? Isnt your responsibilty to register your vehicle?

Anyhoo, if it was on the road for the year you skipped, I'd feel obligated to pay up. I've let motorcycle tags go for a year, but I mainly ride them offroad, so I pay to get them current and leave it at that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd feel like a leech and would pay the back year plus new year.

It bites to have an active conscious (hope I spelled that right)!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

If it were a bank or private institution of some sort or individual I'd pay up + whatever the late fee and/or previous year was.

However, seeing that it's the government and they don't deserve any of the money they strong-arm out of you...I say screw-em. They can figure it out or not...preferably not.

edit:
    Ask yourself why the vehicle has to be re-registered every flippin year. Once it's registered, they know you have it. The only other dealings with them after the registration should be if there's a change in status, ie if the vehicle is leaving the state permanently(de-registration).
    The only reason for these constant re-registrations is for the state government to MAKE MONEY which really isn't making money, it's just robbery. They say...
    sorry you can't use your private property unless you pay us and if you don't pay us, we'll use the tools of the government to get what you "owe" us.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    But then who will pay for all the costs that go along with having roads?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd pay up for last year and this year.

It's a karma thing....What goes around comes around.

Pay for both years.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    But then who will pay for all the costs that go along with having roads?
    There's already a boatload of taxes that if were not misspent unwisely would more than cover the roads...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    There's already a boatload of taxes that if were not misspent unwisely would more than cover the roads...
    I agree with you there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Pay up. It's the right thing to do. Your conscience will be clear.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    The money was owed--yes it is a tax, but that doesn't mean you don't owe it. Your elected repr. enacted the tax.

Since you owe the money, pay up without complaint. It isn't the tax office's problem you didn't pay for two years.

And count yourself lucky that someone like Sixto or Hotguns or Matiki didn't pull you over for not having the vehicle registered. Such encounters can easily go down hill when the next question is "insurance," and you have none. DL, none? ID, none? All due to carelessness and not playing by the rules. Wallet left at home, sticker missing from the car. Light missing from the plates.

Obviously I'm not talking about the OP specifically, but you all get the point. For a bunch like us who are big on personal responsibility and generally big on moral values, and certainly rule followers, I see no "right" in doing anything but the right thing...pay up.

VIP Member
    I'd pay for both years.
    I'm not sure how some can say the state screwed up because they didn't send you a notice. Do they send you a notice when your DL has to be renewed, or your car insurance, or more important, when your CWP is coming up for renewal? No state I have ever lived in sent notices for those things. Sending a notice on registration is a courtesy to you, not a requirement that I am aware of.

VIP Member

Actually Texas does send the renewal notices

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'd pay for both years.
    I'm not sure how some can say the state screwed up because they didn't send you a notice. Do they send you a notice when your DL has to be renewed, or your car insurance, or more important, when your CWP is coming up for renewal? No state I have ever lived in sent notices for those things. Sending a notice on registration is a courtesy to you, not a requirement that I am aware of.
    Actually, Texas does send DL, CHL, and auto registration renewal notices--and well in advance of the date. But, that doesn't excuse not being aware of when these things expire and making certain you take care of renewal even if something goes amiss and the notice doesn't arrive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links