Your actual survival skills?

This is a discussion on Your actual survival skills? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It seems quite a few members here have at least some form of "bug out" gear and supplies. If you actually had to head for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your actual survival skills?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

It seems quite a few members here have at least some form of "bug out" gear and supplies. If you actually had to head for the hills and get out of the city, how long would you make it?

Food supplies won't last forever. Sure we have firearms, but do you have the skill to find, track, and hunt? Do you know what plants you can/can't eat?

How well can you navigate outside the city? GPS batteries only last so long. Do you know how to use a map and compass proficiently?

Do you know how to perform first aid on yourself with limited supplies? Can you build an improvised shelter? Start a fire?

*edit*
    I was gonna make this a poll but I suck at the interweb I guess. I think I could last a while. I have my military training, I've learned and practiced advanced navigation beyond what I've learned in the military, I can hunt and fish, as well as prepare and cook the meat, I can perform first aid and CPR, build shelters and start fires.

I don't have much knowledge on what I can and can't eat as far as plants go. I know a few basic things about how to tell if something might be poisonous to eat, but not enough to rely on. I kind of know a few sources of water that won't kill you or make you really sick to drink, but I don't know how to find them or which ones are actually safe to drink. Probably should study that some more.

Survival isn't a skill most of us will ever have to use probably, but I try to learn as much as I can since I'm an outdoorsy guy and go hunting, hiking, camping, fishing, and exploring a lot.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Moderator
    Sure we have firearms, but do you have the skill to find, track, and hunt? Do you know what plants you can/can't eat?
    Yep.

How well can you navigate outside the city? GPS batteries only last so long. Do you know how to use a map and compass proficiently?
    Sure...as long as I'm not standing by a bluff that my compass is pointed directly to...

Do you know how to perform first aid on yourself with limited supplies? Can you build an improvised shelter? Start a fire?
    Yep.

The best way to learn it is to do it. Take a couple of friends and a backpack of what you think you'll need and go spend a week in the woods. You'll figure out what works and what doesn't.

You need to learn natural filtration tricks for the water supply. Where I am we have lots of creeks with good water, but beavers can be a real problem. Getting parasites in your guts will eventually cause severe diarrhea and dehydration that require medical attention.

Alot of techniques will depend on the location you are at. Some locations are easy to survive in, others require a lot more know how.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

i'll check out natural filtration tricks. the only thing i know of is to boil it. you need fire, water...and something to boil it in. if it's not metal or glass, i can't think of much.
    -Ryan

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Yes Yes and Yes.

I'm no plant connoisseur but do know some of my mushrooms. I am a bowhunter so bullets are'nt necessary for me to survive. I sharpen my own broadheads and have 10-12 dozen arrows that will last me more than my lifetime. I have basic 1st aid training and my wife has some nursing education.

I have no fear of being able to survive in the most challenging of climates or circumstances.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    You must be single...bugging out with a family??

Rick

Senior Moderator
    Bowunting is good...up to a point. Modern day bows are not so great when those carbon or aluiminum arrows are gone.

Can you chip flint, make an arrow that'll shoot? Can you run a snare, trotline, set up natural traps? Can you catch a turkey or a deer?

Of course, being able to do so may run afoul of local games laws. If you ever have to actually use those skills, the law will be the least of your worries.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Bowunting is good...up to a point. Modern day bows are not so great when those carbon or aluiminum arrows are gone.

Can you chip flint, make an arrow that'll shoot? Can you run a snare, trotline, set up natural traps?
    I'm a traditional bowhunter, have been for almost 40 years. I can and do make alot of my own arrows. I can start a fire with a rock and a flint and a stick if I have to. As kids we used to trap and run trot lines on the Mississippi river. Catch a deer? Never tried and not sure I would want to as long as I have a stick and string.

As long as you have food, water, shelter and fire ... those are basic survival necessities. Anything else you can aquire to make survival easier would be considered "comfort" to me.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Moderator
    Rcher...I applaud you skills.
    You Sir, are in the minority.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Here's an online and downloadable (right-click and "Save target as" to download) copy of the US Army Survival Manual. A comprehensive and handy little guide that is worth the download for those that don't have something better. It's in Microsoft Word, if you don't have it, there are free viewers available.

http://www.m4040.com/Downloads/FM%20...L-Abridged.doc
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

If you don't have microsoft office, openoffice.org is a GREAT free alternative.

I read some about solar stills and it sounds like a decent idea. I remember learning something similar using 2 canteens but I can't remember it anymore.

Bugging out with a family would be difficult, but if something happened where there was no option possible, better to be prepared. I don't have a family though, so it wouldn't be near as hard.
    -Ryan

Yes to all above. Have done math for years, for us to be self sustainable and to maybe take in a few nice folk that my need our skills to survive. We know our land to make watch from and to protect our interests if need be in a strategic manner.

My father-in-law and I have enough (limited) provisions to last 6yrs. We figure that's enough time to figure out what to do next. We have prepaired 800 gallons of fuel in the ground for a generator to run 30min a day for six years. If civilization is broke for more than 6yrs. We know how to hunt, fish, and we know how to grow food. We have a garden that we keep up yearly and seasonally that can grow small batches of wheat, corn, lettuce, garlic, tomatos, potatos, and several other food types. Enough to sustain if meat is unavailable. I also know how to brew mead (yes, gots to have some fun stuff). We learned how to manage smokeless fires. We have a natural well with two extra electric pumps and a crank pump he made from left over materials while building his own house.

Our family together will be self sustainable for a good number of years if our civilization fell apart.

Over all, I have god on my side, I'm not without... I'm not to afraid of much of anything, especially death.

We won't be needing to loot or raid any stores. We have plenty of firearms of various types with more than plenty ammo...in the thousands of rounds.

We started this prior to Y2k. Have been refining it over the past 8yrs.

VIP Member
    Once my case of beer is gone, I guess I'm dead meat. Course once my fuel and batteries are gone so I can't blast Metallica out of my 460 watt truck stereo with multiple 10inch subs, is life really worth living?

I'll fill the bed of the truck with beer so I last a bit longer. Put me down for a few days anyway.

Besides I live in the DC Burbs. Everyone will be bugging out. I'll bug in and be one of the few left here. Everyone else will be in the woods and such starving because they will have run all the game away and trampled/eaten all the other food available.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

The only danger to my not surviving off the land is the other people who have no idea how to survive and try and take from me. Growing up my family had to survive with what we could hunt or gather many times. Living in Oregon and Washington it is very easy to survive as long as you have shelter, fire, and a water source.

VIP Member
    I consider myself a 'boy scout'.

I can & do hunt, so fresh meat is not an issue. I currently have deer, quail & pheasant in the freezer that I hunted. We also have beef & pork.
    We live on a farm so fresh produce (& food canned by us) is also not an issue. Our garden produces tomatoes, corn, onions, carrots, lettuce, cantaloupe, water melon & cucumbers.
    The pantry is always nearly full.
    The fuel tanks are all nearly full.
    I have generators in case of power failure. (We aren't dependent on utility supplied water or sewer. We only have electricity & phone lines coming to the house.)
    We have a well for water.
    We also have 4 fireplaces & I am surrounded by forest, so wood is plentiful.
    Since we live in a remote area away from cities (...& even neighbors), we plan on staying in place. About the only things that would make us have to leave would be a war or nuclear emergency. We don't live where there is even a chance of flooding.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I'll fill the bed of the truck with beer so I last a bit longer. Put me down for a few days anyway. .
    My kinda guy...exactly my thoughts. Beer first! Then hit the town for a refill.

Rick

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links