Cashiers Who Cannot Make Change

This is a discussion on Cashiers Who Cannot Make Change within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happened to me twice in the last week, at two different places. It says a lot, I think, about simple math training that everyone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This happened to me twice in the last week, at two different places. It says a lot, I think, about simple math training that everyone should learn.

Today:

Bought two slices of pizza and a coke, total with tax, $5.15/ I fished out a $10 bill and handed it in, and while I was looking in my pocket for change, the clerk rang it up and was preparing to give me $4.85 change. I found .15 in my pocket and gave it to her, got a funny look, and she just gave me the $4 and no change. I told her you owe me $5 and got another funny look. Had to explain that $10.15 less $5.15 was $5.

Two days ago, at Macy's:

Bought some clothing that came out to $35.45. I gave her $40 and the machine calculated the change...$4.55. So far so good.

She opened her drawer and there were no singles. So I gave her a single and told her to give me $5.55 back (there were fives in the drawer).

A funny look. She absolutely did not understand the concept. She said she would have to call a manager over to redo the sale.

10 minutes later, the manager came over, and for some reason had to void the sale. She rang it up again. Same price: $35.45. This time I gave her $41.00 this time. Change came up as $5.55, of course. She gave me a five dollar bill and change.

Duh! It makes me crazy!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    This happened to me twice in the last week, at two different places. It says a lot, I think, about simple math training that everyone should learn.

Today:

Bought two slices of pizza and a coke, total with tax, $5.15/ I fished out a $10 bill and handed it in, and while I was looking in my pocket for change, the clerk rang it up and was preparing to give me $4.85 change. I found .15 in my pocket and gave it to her, got a funny look, and she just gave me the $4 and no change. I told her you owe me $5 and got another funny look. Had to explain that $10.15 less $5.15 was $5.

Two days ago, at Macy's:

Bought some clothing that came out to $35.45. I gave her $40 and the machine calculated the change...$4.55. So far so good.

She opened her drawer and there were no singles. So I gave her a single and told her to give me $5.55 back (there were fives in the drawer).

A funny look. She absolutely did not understand the concept. She said she would have to call a manager over to redo the sale.

10 minutes later, the manager came over, and for some reason had to void the sale. She rang it up again. Same price: $35.45. This time I gave her $41.00 this time. Change came up as $5.55, of course. She gave me a five dollar bill and change.

Duh! It makes me crazy!
    Though incredibly annoying and bad for customer service... large companies have found that it reduces losses from short change artists to refuse to alter the transaction. Once the money is handed over, either they give you correct change from their drawer or get a second person involved. Unfortunately for folks in your situation, it's common for a short change artist to do exactly what you did, then make a stink about having handed her a five, ten or twenty, not a 1.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

The store should have a sign that says "No stupid or uneducated people allowed."

Since the signs in New York (and elsewhere) have magical powers of enforcement, everything would then be all more better.

Simple. We need more signs.

VIP Member

Today:

Two days ago, at Macy's:

Duh! It makes me crazy!
    I've posted this as a pet peeve of mine before. I blame it on an education system that allows kids to use calculators before they can do basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in their head.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    ... it's common for a short change artist to do exactly what you did, then make a stink about having handed her a five, ten or twenty, not a 1.
    That may be true, but a good cashier (I was one a hundred years ago), will always place a bill on top of the drawer while making change. This is done for just that reason... that there is no question as to denomination.

Of course this was in the days before calculating registers, and we actually had to do the subtraction.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

My two daughters in school are allowed to use a calculator for their homework. Actually let me correct that statement, the TEACHER allows them to use a calculator for their homework. I do not allow it. They have to use the calculator between their ears.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    My two daughters in school are allowed to use a calculator for their homework. Actually let me correct that statement, the TEACHER allows them to use a calculator for their homework. I do not allow it. They have to use the calculator between their ears.
    You're a smart father. Good for you!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

always place a bill on top of the drawer while making change. This is done for just that reason... that there is no question as to denomination.
    In my DW's retail store, her register calculated the change, but she taught every one of the kids how to count back change. If we caught one not doing so.....

VIP Member
    I always love the look of confusion when a transaction comes to an amount such as $10.56 and I hand the cashier $21.00. I usually have to explain that I want a $10 bill and .44 cents back instead of a five and four ones along with the change. Gotta love the new government run schools.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

i love when i'm told "you gave me too much" i grin ear to ear, because on the inside i think to myself "Had i know you wanted too little i would have bought more."

i used to work as a cashier, and i have had the occasional brain fart where you get handed cash on 4 different occasions in one transaction, crumpled up, and you have to take 10 mins to unfold everything and figure out what they gave you. my pet peve is people that give you a ball of cash, a bunch of bills crumpled up and you have to sort through it. i keep all my money facing the same direction folded over the face. and i wait till im in my car to sort and arange, not while standing there holding everyone up.

but i can't stand when i give them $11 for a bill that $5.85, and they get lost.

</rant>
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

VIP Member
    Public education....What a wonderful thing.

We spend about $10,000/yr per student & they can't even make change.......They can't read but on an eight grade level & recent high school grads can barely speak understandably.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

If you really want to screw with them... Anything that involves a $2 bill gets elevated to the level of chaos.

bill: 31.25
    give them a fifty and a two and see what happens.
    Most of them have never seen a two and will call management for counterfeit money.

Quote Originally Posted by eatatjoz View Post
    If you really want to screw with them... Anything that involves a $2 bill gets elevated to the level of chaos.

bill: 31.25
    give them a fifty and a two and see what happens.
    Most of them have never seen a two and will call management for counterfeit money.

No kidding.... I paid a few times with some $2 bills and some $1 coins... they just stared at me with a total loss of what to do.

I was at micky D's had a 100 and asked if she could handle it,she said yes,my meal was like 4 sumpin i got back 105 and change,I said you gave me too much and handed her the money back,she said thanks
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Let the power go out or fluctuate while they're trying to give you change. If it was out long enough for the register to reset you can be there for a very long time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links