Trying to stop smoking

Trying to stop smoking

This is a discussion on Trying to stop smoking within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I'm 25 and have smoked for over 7 yrs now. It's now time to quit. It's bad for me, it smells, and frankly I'm ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying to stop smoking

Trying to stop smoking

Well, I'm 25 and have smoked for over 7 yrs now. It's now time to quit. It's bad for me, it smells, and frankly I'm tired of paying for it. I tried the patch, but it gave me some serious techo type dreams. I've been off them now for 2 days. This time it's gonna stick. Share what worked for you, and wish me luck!!!
    God Bless America!!

Nicotine is a drug,when you get a craving chew a carrot stick etc. get your mind off it and the urge will go away as you keep from smoking longer and longer lengths of the time the urges get fewer and farther apart,I quit smoking over 15 1/2 yrs ago after smoking for about 17
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I've been quitting for years. Good luck. The beginning is the easy part believe it or not. Your determination is strongest in the beginning. Problem is a month down the road when you think, "oh, I can have just one...." DON'T DO IT
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

When I quit I tried the patch, gum, those nasty fake smokes made from mint leaves, everything. Nothing worked, I got disgusted with myself and said the hell with it. I started smoking weed instead...just kidding. I decide to try cold turkey, it's the only way to quit. Your body has an addiction to nicotine, using the patch and gum only delays the problem.

Have your last cig before you go to bed then prepare for a few days of hell. You may want to get the wife and kids (maybe even the pets) out of the house for a few days, you might not be fit to live with. Find things to keep yourself busy and your mind off it. I missed just having something in my mouth (stop snickering), so I started chewing on plastic drinking straws. Avoid doing things that your mind associates with smoking, like that nice ice cold beer in the evening. I quit smoking seven years ago and I still get cravings for a smoke when I open a beer. They never really go away they just get less severe.

After about three days you are over the worst of it. After that every day gets a little easier. Good luck and hang in there.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

quitting smoking

I smoked for 20 yrs Doc found what looked like tumors in my chest that did it for me. I too was looking to quit but that did it, Anyone can do anything, think of the others in your life too. by the way tumors were something else not cancer. havent looked back actually cant stand to be around them now. Dont let a disease make you quit, Good Luck
    The Democwats hate Consewvatives and want to Ewiminate ouw Fweedoms Dang Wabbits

My wife smoked cigarettes for about 20 years. She went to the dentist to have a tooth pulled out one day and the dentist told her not to smoke for three days. It's been more than 10 years and she has not touched a smoke yet.

I remember that after the dental procedure she kept a carton of cigs in the freezer and a pack in her car, just in case. Luckily, she had the will power to not smoke any. She admits to still be addicted to nicotine and that sometimes she gets the cravings.

She does not like to be near smokers any more because she hates the smell.

Whatever method(s) you choose, never give up. Be persistent and good luck.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I quite a month a go, I have not smoked. I smoked for 10 years I am 21 now. The biggest thing for me when I quite was the angisity of not having cigarettes, So I bought a pack did not open then dated the front of them and keep them in my car every where I went. So that I would not get scared to be with out them. It will be 2 month on Jan 25th and I still have the pack in my car dated 11-25. The 1st three days are the worst. Good luck

I started smoking at 10 years old and quit at 30 yrs old. When I quit I was smoking 3 packs a day, I quit cold. Quitting isn't seeing how long you can go without a cigarette, it is quitting 1 day at a time. I am 62 now I still have tobacco around the house so if I want to smoke I can. Each day I get up I choose to not smoke, pretty soon the habit becomes not smoking. As others say, stop doing those things associated with smoking. I used to paint pictures all the time, but I always smoked while doing it. When I quit smoking I also quit painting, going to bars and sitting around the house watching television. I tried to do more things that I didn't smoke while doing them. I fished more, hunted more, and started doing more target work. I never smoked whild fishing because the smell would get on my flies. I never smoked while hunting because the animals could smell me. I didn't smoke while shooting because it wasn't convenient to always have a cigarette while trying to concentrate on the sights. The secret to quit smoking or drinking (haven't drank for 22 yrs) is to everyday decide that you arn't going to do it that day. 1 day at a time. You will still get the urge, but it is easier to quit for 1 day then it is for 1 year. Don't keep track of how long it has been, just quit every day. Pretty soon you will look back and see that you haven't smoked for years. By the way I paint now but I no longer need the tabacco while doing it. I can now do anything I want because I am in the habit of choosing not to smoke or drink.

I haven't smoked in a little over 3 years. The first couple times I "quit" I just stopped buying smokes but would bum them off my fellow smokers. Then I'd say screw it and just buy my own after a week or so. When I finally quit for real I stopped buying and bumming them - made it a little easier at least in my mind. They don't stop being good, and you don't really stop wanting them. I still like the smell and can identify all the different brands by smell. I just don't buy them, and I don't bum them, so I can't smoke them. Being stubborn and having a reason helps too. I quit for my wife. You can do it.

Austin

You know what worked for me quitting cigarettes? If I ever got the urge I smoked a pipe.

It gave me the immediate satisfaction and since I didn't inhale my lungs were protected. You don't inhale a pipe or cigar, you just puff on it. In a few days you don't even need to smoke anymore. And a pipe or cigar are so nasty you aren't really dying to smoke it anyways.

It took the urge away for me.

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    My wife smoked cigarettes for about 20 years. She went to the dentist to have a tooth pulled out one day and the dentist told her not to smoke for three days.
    This is a good point. The counselors and physicians say after three days the physiological cravings are no longer there. Psychological maybe, but if you decide not to you won't. See my earlier post on how to alleviate the physiological cravings.

And good luck!

....except you're still getting nicotine, and maybe mouth cancer?

I'm talking about three days to get over cigarettes. Not habitually substituting for cigarettes. Therein lies the difference. It's only for the few days the cravings happen. Remember, nicotine is an addictive drug; moreso than coke counselors say.

This worked for me. Three days, for cryin out loud. It's better than smoking for the next 10 years! I repeat, "they taste so bad" that after your cravings go away in three days you don't want to smoke anymore.

every day is monumental, another day without smoking , count every day . then when you get to the new year say man i quit last year . then when you reach your aniversy say its been over a year , and know that one is all it takes to erase that . congrats on your 2 days make it three .

sep 15 04 ceased 3 pack a day cold turkey, we're pulling for ya we're all in this together .

no nicotine what soever no dipping chewing sniffing , just say no ,you can do it .

good luck
    elance

Quote Originally Posted by Demeo2169 View Post
    I quite a month a go, I have not smoked. I smoked for 10 years I am 21 now. The biggest thing for me when I quite was the angisity of not having cigarettes, So I bought a pack did not open then dated the front of them and keep them in my car every where I went. So that I would not get scared to be with out them. It will be 2 month on Jan 25th and I still have the pack in my car dated 11-25. The 1st three days are the worst. Good luck
    congrats demeo , and everyone else that is whupping it . day by day , then week by week , month by month ,then year by year .

man cant get the wife quit though , and i'm one of those "exsmokers" i cants stand them . i didn't start out that way , but i can now apoligize for smoking i was wrong , around the kids, in the house, the car ,you folks i'm so sorry .

elance

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links