Great T.R. quote

Great T.R. quote

This is a discussion on Great T.R. quote within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Recently heard this Teddy Roosevelt quote; It's now my new sig line for Conservative Stronghold; Feel free to use it! A vote is like a ...

Thread: Great T.R. quote

Great T.R. quote

Recently heard this Teddy Roosevelt quote;
    It's now my new sig line for Conservative Stronghold;
    Feel free to use it!

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. Theodore Roosevelt 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

I like it. I have been collecting quotes that for the most part are 2A, patriotic etc.. Some even from here. If the mods don't mind I'll share.

Some of the most relevant ones to todays atmosphere are are very old...

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

“If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right;”
    Cicero 2,000 years ago

“The right of self-defense. . . is founded in the law of nature, and is not, nor can be, superseded by any law of society.
    Sir Michael Foster, judge of the Court of King’s Bench, wrote in the 18th century

Qui docet discit "He who teaches learns"

"Government is not reason and it is not eloquence. It is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." -Thomas Jefferson

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. Thomas Jefferson

It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. —Barry Goldwater 1968

"The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

If you don't stand for something, You'll fall for anything.

"Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

You can’t stop the waves but, you can learn to surf

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders." –Nugent

Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases.

- Thomas Jefferson

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    -Ernest Hemingway

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

"That government is best which governs least."
    — HENRY DAVID THOREAU

"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away men's initiative and independence. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

---Abraham Lincoln

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 p. 243-244)."

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    – Thomas Jefferson

Thank God we don't get as much Government as we pay for!
    -Will Rogers

If Someone Opens the Door to Violence Do Not Be Surprised How Much Walks In.

"The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them"
    -John Wayne The Shootist

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

- Thomas Jefferson 1802

'Here's my strategy on the Cold War:? We win, they lose.'
    - Ronald Reagan

'The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
    - Ronald Reagan

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
    - Ronald Reagan

'Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong.'
    - Ronald Reagan

'I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress.'
    - Ronald Reagan

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'
    - Ronald Reagan

'Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.'-
    Ronald Reagan!

'The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program.'
    - Ronald Reagan

'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.

- Ronald Reagan

'Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
    - Ronald Reagan

''Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed, there are many rewards; if you disgrace yourself, you can always write a book."
    - Ronald Reagan

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'-
    Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.'
    Ronald Reagan

"You cannot change by reasoning a belief not acquired by logic".

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience: that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." (The Essential Second Amendment Guide, pp. 17f.)
    Thos Jefferson's translation of 18th Century Italian criminologist, Cesare Beccaria:

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    --- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Hokey Pete!
    I love the sage wisdom of quotes like these.
    I used to use the "If you don't stand for something...." as my sig line.
    It's still a good one.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Nice, it is certainly a keeper. Much like the one in my sig line.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Sponsored Links