Online auctions...?

Online auctions...?

This is a discussion on Online auctions...? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wondering about sites like GunBroker and AuctionArms... Do ya do 'em...? Pros and cons...?...

Thread: Online auctions...?

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

Online auctions...?

Wondering about sites like GunBroker and AuctionArms... Do ya do 'em...?

Pros and cons...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I've done GB for years and have had good luck. I'd recommend them.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I think they're great. I can find almost any gun I want any time. I've used it to sell an old rifle, and am currently using it to sell my AR-15. I bought 2 Kel-Tec P3at's of of there too. You really just have to pay attention and do the research to make sure you aren't getting ripped off. Alot of sellers are actual gun stores just posting their inventory online.

Pro's - pretty much find anything you want, usually pretty decent deals to be had

Con's - can't touch what you're buying, have to pay shipping and transfer fees, can't necessarily trust everyone.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Love GB! Have found some really great deals. Only one bad experience and the seller made it right. Make sure you read the description, know the gun and talk to the seller prior to bidding. Can save you both from grief.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

I have used GB

Only two purchases though but, both went fine. I did give my local shop first look but they could not get one item (it was back ordered six months) and could not match price on the other.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I was watching a Sig 229 for a couple days that went from "a good deal" to "screw it, I'll buy it new"... when it got within 200 bucks of a brand new pistol, I don't see the point.

I was looking at other threads and a few people were saying that they would never buy from an individual, as the weapon could be defective, stolen, used in a murder, built on a haunted Indian burial mound, etc, etc... I suppose there is something to be said for buying new...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I have bought several pistols off auction arms. I had no problems at all. The only thing that you need to know about about both sites is you have to have someone with a ffl to have the weapon sent to. If you don't have one I have used the link on auction arms for ffl's.
    Bryan A Dreyer
    Sgt USMC/US Army
    .45 ACP

For the FFL there are plenty of websites that keep a database of FFL dealers. Most of them you can search by zipcode. I know GB has a list of FFL dealers right on their website.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    In recent years I've made 8 purchases from either Gun Broker or Guns America. I don't remember finding one on Auction Arms. I prefer Guns America because it doesn't deal with "auctions" or hidden reserve prices...just straight purchases. As with any on-line deal you should be as careful as possible with whom you deal. 7 of my 8 deals went as well or better than expected. Only one had any negative elements and that didn't really involve the gun I bought, which was a good gun.

I try to use a credit card whenever possible, otherwise I use USPS money orders. Have a reliable FFL ready to do the transfer...hopefully one that will transfer from private citizen to private citizen, (not all will). The internet is great for finding that gun you rarely see for sale in a shop. Sometimes you stumble upon terrific deals.

I've also made some easy buys and sales on some of the forums I routinely participate with. These several transactions were mostly face to face, but I did have a couple through the mail, via a FFL.

Use common sense, try to make contact via phone or at least email. Walk away if you get bad vibes. I constantly scan the Big Three for the couple of guns I'm on the hunt for. Sometimes you win sometimes you don't. Good luck.

Ripley sez...

I try to use a credit card whenever possible, otherwise I use USPS money orders.

Why USPS, as opposed to garden variety 7-11 or bank MO's...?

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Ripley sez...

Why USPS, as opposed to garden variety 7-11 or bank MO's...?

Cheap
    Universally accepted
    Less counterfeit prone
    Fear of running afoul of the big Fed, ie; fraud.
    Convenient

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Cheap
    Universally accepted
    Less counterfeit prone
    Fear of running afoul of the big Fed, ie; fraud.
    Convenient
    Just an FYI, from my experience as a former bank fraud analyst and current fraud investigator. USPS money orders are EASILY counterfeited. For a while they were more prone to counterfeits. I do agree with the cheap and convenient part. If you know what you're doing and know the process to verify the legitimacy of either postal or garden variety MOs you'll be fine.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

I had never heard of a MO not being accepted by anyone...

Sponsored Links