Carrying in Mexico?

Carrying in Mexico?

This is a discussion on Carrying in Mexico? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My girlfriend REALLY wants to go on vacation to Mexico when I get back from Iraq. I want to go to Mexico too, but not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

Carrying in Mexico?

My girlfriend REALLY wants to go on vacation to Mexico when I get back from Iraq. I want to go to Mexico too, but not with all the violence going on because of the drug cartel. They have been passing it to us even out here that we (military) should not, and may not be allowed to visit Mexico unless we have family there. I also saw this on the news, dated 28 Dec 08: ABC News: Kidnappers Target Americans in Baja

This is obviously a problem, and in my opinion, it's best just to avoid it. There are other places in the world to visit. She doesn't see it that way, and claims she's going to "go there with the girls" if I don't go. I don't want that either...she'd be even more defenseless, of course I think it may be some female jedi mind trick to get me to change my mind...

So if I do end up going, is there any legal way to carry in Mexico or on a cruise there? I've heard bad things about the Mexican Police, and it gets even worse if you have a firearm, but I don't know how much is true. Anyone attempted this and have some insight?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Revoked. I talked her out of Mexico after showing her the news story, but now she thinks I'm crazy that I would want to carry on vacation...not like criminals would want to target tourists over locals or anything...We're talking about Europe now, so carry would be out of the question, but probably a much safer trip.
    -Ryan

I think Mexico has VERY strict laws on carrying guns (for all the good it's done them). There have been a few stories posted here about people crossing the border with guns (accidentally or otherwise). The outcome is never good. Americans are targeted in Mexico, they think we are all rich and make good kidnapping victims. I'm sure some areas of Mexico are safer then others, but why take the chance.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    While it is certainly possible to have an OK vacation in Mexico, lots depends on exactly where you go, how you go, when you go, and like everything else, some luck. But, no guns allowed.

If you must spend your hard earned money on a vacation, Europe is safer than Mexico, but still a lot depends on where you are, and no place is crime free. Pick pockets, more than violent thugs, plague the big cities.

And if you can talk her out of the miseries of long intercontinental airline flights but still want to leave the US, try Canada.

I'm also going to suggest that if you just must torture yourselves with long tedious and miserable airline flights, try New Zealand and/or Australia.

I would not recommend anyplace in our Western hemisphere other than Canada, but if you just must head south, Costa Rica is safer than Mexico, and friendly to Americans. I have heard the same applies to Panama.

Buenos Aires, Agentina and Montevideo might be reasonable places to go.

I'm going to say, "buy American." It is the patriotic thing to do these days. There are plenty of places in the US you have not seen yet. Alaska and Hawaii are always good tourist spots. The Virgin Islands are a good winter get away.

Try Puerto Rico. I've been there and it's absolutely gorgeous! They have old forts, and the only rain forest in the US (sorta). It's called El Yunque and was great. They have little frogs called Cokee frogs ;0. Only place they exist. One other thing is the bioluminescent bay. Island Adventures Biobay Tours, Vieques Island - Puerto Rico
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member
    I've read that if you're caught with a single .22 round you can do jailtime in Mexico.

Having said that, you're welcome in Canada. Your $ is stronger than ours (unlike a few months ago), but the beaches in Mexico are a tad warmer this time of year. We've done Mexico, the Dominican Republic, and Cuba a number of times and have always felt safe. Granted most of our travels have been in the tourist areas and we know what to watch out for. Puerto Rico is certainly an option. If you really want to feel unsafe, try Jamaica and leave the tourist areas!

We leave for Grenada in a couple of days. I'll let you know what that's like.

Make sure you have your passports. Air entry to the US now requires one.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I've been up to Whistler, BC quite a bit. I think New Zealand would be a fun trip. Always wanted to go there. Preferably I'd do Alaska, but she's been a few times.
    -Ryan

ain't lost anything down there in mexico. If you feel the need...go to southern california....you'll be a minority and feel like you are in mexico.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I'm stationed in San Diego...Get that feeling all the time...ha!
    -Ryan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I'm stationed in San Diego...Get that feeling all the time...ha!
    In that case, blindfold the girlfriend, take her for a three hour drive (in circles), pull over at the beach and say "WE"RE HERE!". She may not know the difference either.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

LOL....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    In Mexico only 2 groups are allowed to carry guns military/police and BG's. Not that there is much difference in a lot of cases.

Mexican translation: peon = victim

Mexico is very dangerous in the border towns,and any ammo or guns will get you arrested el pronto
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Try Puerto Rico. I've been there and it's absolutely gorgeous! They have old forts, and the only rain forest in the US (sorta). It's called El Yunque and was great. They have little frogs called Cokee frogs ;0. (Snip)
    Don't carry in Mexico lest you want to be intimate with some large Mexicano named "Pepito."

...the frogs are called "coquis." Let's not even talk about the bloody gun laws in PR.....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Mexico is quite strict, but its also a place where some people carry anyway. Keep in mind though, that unless you have connections and/or $$$ (preferably US or Euro), the police are probably not going to be on your side. Unfortunately corruption runs deep.

Don't carry is my advice, and its also a dangerous place, mostly. I guess there are a few toursit-y places that a lot of people go and come from safely, but as an outsider, you're bound to be taken up by traps that the experienced criminals lay for the unsuspecting tourist.

I'd say go to Europe. No carry, sure, but the society there is such that crime is quite low anyway... they don't have the kind of ethnic, drug, and cultural (as well as economic) strife that we somehow ended up with here. In many places, they'd find out need to lock our doors and not go out at any time of the night silly. Of course, if you're in the city, WATCH OUT. Wear running shoes. Places like London are probably going to be even more dangerous than NYC.

But if you're in a farm town somewhere in southern France, I'd say just find a chair on a hill, grab a glass of wine and watch the sunset.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links