UPS "adverse weather" delays - anyone else smell manure?

This is a discussion on UPS "adverse weather" delays - anyone else smell manure? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'll be brief. I'm trying to find out if UPS is having an emotional break down and can't get over itself. Has anyone else noticed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPS "adverse weather" delays - anyone else smell manure?

UPS "adverse weather" delays - anyone else smell manure?

I'll be brief. I'm trying to find out if UPS is having an emotional break down and can't get over itself. Has anyone else noticed a deterioration in service, possibly including delays citing "adverse weather" when there is no "adverse weather"?

Just before Christmas a package got to my local hub and sat there until the end of the month. Meanwhile multiple packages arrived at the hub and went out for delivery right away. When the seller contacted UPS to start an investigation they were told it was a weather delay, and I got my package the very next morning. At that time - there had been a bad snow storm and I chalked it up to a trailer being stuck on the side of the road or something weird.

Well the snow's all gone (has been for more than a week). And UPS has been delivering other items, and I've gotten three more "adverse weather" notices on items that were shipped to me.

Meanwhile, USPS has been unbelievably reliable. I ship and receive a lot through the mail, and I'm beginning to select and pay extra (if necessary) for USPS delivery to make sure I get it.

Is anyone else having similar issues?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I can't comment on UPS because we seldom ship with them. Mostly (99.99%) of the time stuff sent to us thru UPS gets here without difficulty.

We have found that FedX ground is our best shipping option.

Does issues with Driver Stupidity count? I can't for the life of me get drivers to deliver my servers to the correct addresses lately. I get notices on the site tracking saying something to the effect of needing correct address, when I know darn well they have the correct address and USPS nor Fedex have problems delivering to the same friggin addresses.

These are not just in VA...we're talking all over: Philly, NYC, MA, LA, MI, TX,CO, etc...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

no issues here lately. Packages arrive as promised. One was a bit weird. I thought it was a going to arrive earlier then originally indicated, because it arrived in the local hub a couple days early... but it sat in the hub until the promised delivery day :-/ . Remember that the time before and after Christmas is very busy for all carries, and weather has been a bit of an issue in some parts of the country (hehe... not for me in Florida).

My only constant gripe with UPS is that they always arrive quite late (7pm is not unusual) and there are a few UPS trucks passing by my house before that to "tease" ... but this is more an issue with the way the route is laid out.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Where are the packages coming from and what route do they travel? There is bad weather in several parts of the country right now. It's possible the package is caught in a bad part of the country right now. We've had a pretty good storm here for the past couple of days. It just finished up this morning. Nothing left but the cleanup.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Where are the packages coming from and what route do they travel? There is bad weather in several parts of the country right now. It's possible the package is caught in a bad part of the country right now. We've had a pretty good storm here for the past couple of days. It just finished up this morning. Nothing left but the cleanup.
    Everything that comes to the Seattle area via UPS goes through Oregon first. As of today the I-5 is closed due to high water... but that's today. I've been getting a steady stream of notices from UPS, 3 as of my first post, and just received two more. Of the 5 exception notices, 2 have already been scanned at the local hub here in Redmond, where there's nothing holding anyone up. And one was scanned in Seattle, where high winds may have made transit to Redmond risky.

I guess my issue is, why is the USPS able to git er done and UPS takes weeks? It used to be the other way around. I had to reactivate my account with USPS to accommodate the requests for USPS shipping I'm getting.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I feel your pain. I wasn't really defending UPS, just mentioning the weather. I've had issues with UPS myself. Waiting all day at home for a package I had to sign for that was "Out for delivery" only to have it go back to the local hub at the end of the day. I was a little ticked when I picked up the package myself the next morning.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I feel your pain. I wasn't really defending UPS, just mentioning the weather. I've had issues with UPS myself. Waiting all day at home for a package I had to sign for that was "Out for delivery" only to have it go back to the local hub at the end of the day. I was a little ticked when I picked up the package myself the next morning.
    It's a legitimate point and I certainly don't hold reasonable weather delays such as snow or flooding against them. I'm even willing to consider that the 30-40mph winds we had recently may have delayed stuff from Seattle to Redmond, but there seems to be a trend here, and it's not a pattern that mirrors the weather.

UPS handles 11 million packages a day.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I'll be brief. I'm trying to find out if UPS is having an emotional break down and can't get over itself. Has anyone else noticed a deterioration in service, possibly including delays citing "adverse weather" when there is no "adverse weather"?
    Just a over week ago I had a package that was supposed to be delivered on a certain day and I had been tracking it's progress. It had arrived at a processing hub in my city at 2:23 AM on the day of delivery, and at 8:00 AM an "Adverse Weather" delay was logged and I didn't get my item until the next day, but there was no adverse weather that day.

We had snow in Portland for several days earlier but even then I saw UPS trucks rolling around with snow chains. By this day all the snow had completely melted away and the roads were clear, so I think that "adverse weather" entry was just an excuse for something else.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    UPS handles 11 million packages a day.
    And their infrastructure can handle it, and still get guaranteed next day early AM packages to their destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    And their infrastructure can handle it, and still get guaranteed next day early AM packages to their destination.
    Well... that's not been the case here. But that's not the issue for me, I don't care about guaranteed delivery dates not being met due to weather. I care that the USPS is getting here fine and UPS is claiming weather, even when there's no weather.

keep in mind that they may be back logged due to weather, so while that package may not specificly have encountered weather, other packages that have to go on the trucks in that delivery route before it may have been.

high volume and not enough drivers will do that.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Well... that's not been the case here. But that's not the issue for me, I don't care about guaranteed delivery dates not being met due to weather. I care that the USPS is getting here fine and UPS is claiming weather, even when there's no weather.
    Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm just saying it isn't an infrastructure problem; I attribute it to human error.

Here in the North West right now weather delays might mean that the driver of the truck for you route may not be able to make it to work due to weather.
    UPS only has so many drivers and they each have their own route. Be realistic, I was snowed in for 3 weeks, with the rain melting the snow I can get out now, but flooding is covering many roads. It is true that most of the main roads are clear but many of the side roads are flooded and not necesarily by large rivers.
    It is very possible that your package is in Seattle but the driver can't get to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links