In the spirit of Arty....

This is a discussion on In the spirit of Arty.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was reading the Arty CW9mm thread, and thought to myself "WOW, what a great community!". All I have to say is kudos to everyone ...

Thread: In the spirit of Arty....

In the spirit of Arty....

I was reading the Arty CW9mm thread, and thought to myself "WOW, what a great community!". All I have to say is kudos to everyone for making this not only a great forum, but a great family to be part of! I got to thinking, what if we did this type of thing more often? What if everyone chipped in monthy (or something), and got their name in a hat. Then, at the end of each list of 20-30 people or whatever we picked a winner from among the list by drawing...kind of like a raffle. Better odds than the lottery (1 in 30!!!), and with the condition that the winner purchases firearms merchandise with the cash, and POSTS PICS with the loot!!! We would be helping each other out as a community, with the chance that we would be helped out as well...win-win the way I look at it! What do you guys think??
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

2. Remove Ads

I think what make Artys thread special that it was written not to ask for money but to point out he found a good used gun. It was a spur of the moment for everybody to chip in. Don't get me wrong, I am not crying the blues and would do it again but would love for everybody to chip in to buy me another 300.00 gun. I would be happy to join the buying group but how does onw choose whose saga is worst than the other. I think if somebody needed a firearm and somebody has an used one I think passing it along for FFL fees would be a great thing. When the receiver gets back on their feet and chooses to purchase a better/newer gun. The firearm gets passed along to the next person in need only with the blessing of the donor.
    Also If person of DC do fall on hard times I think as a group we could step up and take custody of the gun for the same money as the seller would get from local gun shop with the understanding that it may be re-purchased at the selling price.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    I think what make Artys thread special that it was written not to ask for money but to point out he found a good used gun. It was a spur of the moment for everybody to chip in. Don't get me wrong, I am not crying the blues and would do it again but would love for everybody to chip in to buy me another 300.00 gun. I would be happy to join the buying group but how does onw choose whose saga is worst than the other. I think if somebody needed a firearm and somebody has an used one I think passing it along for FFL fees would be a great thing. When the receiver gets back on their feet and chooses to purchase a better/newer gun. The firearm gets passed along to the next person in need only with the blessing of the donor.
    Also If person of DC do fall on hard times I think as a group we could step up and take custody of the gun for the same money as the seller would get from local gun shop with the understanding that it may be re-purchased at the selling price.
    Some more good ideas. I didn't say that Arty was asking for anything..he wasn't. That's the beauty of what happened. I am just saying that it would be cool to just do a little "everyone chips in and we do a drawing". The idea I was referring to was more of a raffle than anything. I dunno, just an idea...

Senior Moderator
    This needs to be approved by Bumper before anyone gets to exicted.

It could have tax or other legal issues
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    This needs to be approved by Bumper before anyone gets to exicted.

It could have tax or other legal issues
    Thanks for reminding us that uncle sam wants his too...lol. Seriously, thanks for the reminder.

BTW your sig line says it all...

DC Founder
    As already said, there are legal and tax implications in doing this sort of thing that I would rather not worry about. If we had something formal we would start drawing people to the forum that had no interest in this forum other than an opportunity to "win" a new gun and that's not really what we want. I would rather have members that participate here for the information and the community itself rather than just to see what they could personally get out of their membership.

There is also something to be said about spontaneity. It is, IMO, a bit more sincere than the more routine "giveaway"....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    As already said, there are legal and tax implications in doing this sort of thing that I would rather not worry about. If we had something formal we would start drawing people to the forum that had no interest in this forum other than an opportunity to "win" a new gun and that's not really what we want. I would rather have members that participate here for the information and the community itself rather than just to see what they could personally get out of their membership.

There is also something to be said about spontaneity. It is, IMO, a bit more sincere than the more routine "giveaway"....
    You have a good point there Bumper, and something that I admittedly did not even consider. Lock it up if you would please.......

Links