Motorist Holding 30 Handguns, 7 Rifles Arrested Outside L.A. Airport (Merged)

This is a discussion on Motorist Holding 30 Handguns, 7 Rifles Arrested Outside L.A. Airport (Merged) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Motorist Holding 30 Handguns, 7 Rifles Arrested Outside L.A. Airport Friday, January 09, 2009 LOS ANGELES A motorist with 30 handguns, seven rifles and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorist Holding 30 Handguns, 7 Rifles Arrested Outside L.A. Airport (Merged)

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

Motorist Holding 30 Handguns, 7 Rifles Arrested Outside L.A. Airport (Merged)

Motorist Holding 30 Handguns, 7 Rifles Arrested Outside L.A. Airport

Friday, January 09, 2009

LOS ANGELES A motorist with 30 handguns, seven rifles and fully loaded ammunition magazines in his pickup truck has been arrested at Los Angeles International Airport.

Airport spokeswoman Nancy Castles says the truck was stopped Friday by airport police officers at an entrance to the passenger terminals area.

Castles says the man was arrested for investigation of weapons transportation violations. His name was not immediately released.

Airport police official Jim Holcomb told the KCAL-TV news station that there's no indication the man was out to do any harm at the airport. He was apparently picking someone up.

The FBI, the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the Los Angeles Police Department are investigating.

I just don't know what to say but; Only in California.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

2. Remove Ads

So...transporting more than one firearm at a time is illegal in CA?

Oh wait...yeah I forgot, it's CA
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Why did they stop him in the first place? I have been in and out of LAX a few times and never seen any "road blocks" for the passenger terminal.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I don't see aproblem if they were in the trunk of the vehicle or sumpin,I pick up friends all the time at mcallen airport and I'm always carrying
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Note to Self:
    Don't pick up anyone at airport on the way to the range.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I think "fully loaded" are the key words in California.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Why did they stop him in the first place? I have been in and out of LAX a few times and never seen any "road blocks" for the passenger terminal.
    They have been doing random traffic stops for a while now. Not real sure if they will be able to charge him with anything other than stupidity since they were locked in the back of his truck.
    Roy
    Dacono, CO
    CCW
    USAF Veteran

i'm sure its all just a big misunderstanding... sounds to me like he was about to pick up a friend then head to the range :P
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

VIP Member
    Some of what the papers are saying the LA Police say is fairly outrageous. I think they claimed he was being held on suspicion of illegal transfer of assault weapons. I guess they will pull out anything to find an excuse.

The article I read said he had one loaded gun. Because it is CA, it seems somewhat unlikely he had a permit for that, but if he did indeed have a permit to carry, and his carry gun was the loaded one, I don't see an issue.

We just went through a discussion of what is lawful to possess at a CA airport around Christmas time when one of our participants wanted to travel from NY back to CA with some guns. On inquiry, he found that it was OK if unloaded and locked.

This one sounds like the guy might not have been in perfect technical compliance, but is no terrorist or gun runner, and everyone just got excited over not much of anything. I hope he gets let go quickly without "creative" charges being levied.

Update

KNX - Officials Investigate Car Found At LAX With Weapons

UPDATE

This sounds like typical CA hysteria. When I was searching for more information some papers were reporting "Cache of Weapons Seized" etc., etc. It does seem that he technically violated the law by transporting either loaded magazines/firearms, or by making "unnecessary deviations" by stopping at the airport while transporting them to/from the range.

Man arrested at LAX with numerous guns says he's a law-abiding citizen

Los Angeles Times

Weapons enthusiast says he had no idea he might be breaking the law.
    Associated Press
    January 11, 2009

The man arrested at Los Angeles International Airport with a truck full of guns and nearly 1,000 rounds of ammunition said Saturday that he is a law-abiding weapons enthusiast who had no idea he might be breaking the law.

A day after he was arrested on suspicion of felony transportation of an assault rifle, Phillip Dominguez said he was confident he would be exonerated.

"In the post-Sept. 11 environment, it is well known by weapon owners that airports and weapons simply do not mix," said Los Angeles Airport Police Chief George Centeno.

Dominguez, 47, of Orange said that he went to LAX to pick up a friend from Baltimore and that they intended to go target shooting at an outdoor range in San Bernardino County.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right. - Learned Hand

"In the post-Sept. 11 environment, it is well known by weapon owners that airports and weapons simply do not mix," said Los Angeles Airport Police Chief George Centeno.
    Of course, the police chief's comment is entirely irrelevant. What laws did the citizen break, if any?

There must be more to this story. It's often the case that all cars entering LAX are stopped and searched. But before this, I wouldn't have hesitated to drive in with gun or guns and ammo locked properly in the trunk, per Calif law. How would you otherwise check your gun in for travel? They must have gotten scared of the 1000 rounds. Sounds like they were going to have a fun afternoon.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right. - Learned Hand

VIP Member
    He may have violated the law by having one of the guns loaded instead of unloaded, but then that would be an issue only if he didn't have a license.

It seems to me the police over-reacted, particularly in the form of the language their PR folks used to describe the number of weapons (initially exaggerated 2x) and the severity of the "crime" the were "investigating," which they announced as suspicion of transferring weapons illegally.

Still, legal or not, it is best to not do things that are so far out of the main stream that you attract attention to yourself. I bet if he had two, three, or 4 guns with him there would have been no issue. By having 16, he appeared sufficiently "off the norm" to be investigated.

I don't think that is a valid excuse for the manner in which he was treated, but I also think it is understandable.
    Last edited by Hopyard; January 11th, 2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: correction of misstatement of fact

A day after he was arrested on suspicion of felony transportation of an assault rifle, Phillip Dominguez said he was confident he would be exonerated.
    Isn't there some sort of ban on those evil black rifles in California? This is the first quote I've noticed that mentioned an assault rifle. Maybe that's the technicality their hanging their hat on for arresting him.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links