Night Owl to Early Bird

Night Owl to Early Bird

This is a discussion on Night Owl to Early Bird within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; You won't see anymore 2 AM post from me, after 28 years of working the 2nd and 3rd shifts I am going to the real ...

Thread: Night Owl to Early Bird

Distinguished Member

Night Owl to Early Bird

You won't see anymore 2 AM post from me, after 28 years of working the 2nd and 3rd shifts I am going to the real world the first shift starting Monday. I hope that I can get up and that the grass is greener on the other side.

I like my freedom on the 2nd shift, but I feel like I missed a lot working the back shifts.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I feel your pain. I worked nights for a several years, 7pm to 7am. I really do like nights. Getting some Christmas shopping done while on break at 3am is pretty cool. No crowds, no hassle, and the employees wait on you hand and foot.

I went from that to starting work at 5:30am. Big change. But now, I work from home most of the time. It's a much better commute. The only problem is after all those years of being up at night is I have trouble sleeping sometimes. When I don't have to get up in the morning, I'm usually up until 1,2,3 or 4 am.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

VIP Member
    Spent most of my military career working 3-midnight. Very seldom did I have Sat & Sun off. Days off usually in the middle of the week. Actually kind of miss it. Was really nice for camping. No crowded campgrounds and screaming kids.

redrick, good luck! Sleeping habits are a difficult thing to change after that many years.

My GF worked nights 7-7 for 6 years and has been on 8-5 for that last 20 months, and STILL has trouble in the morning getting going.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

You have my sympathies.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I get switched around from night crew to daycrew so often in the military that I can change my sleep pattern pretty much right away. No jet lag either. I like the relaxed atmosphere of nights, no politics, no having to look busy when there's nothing to do, etc, and you can go to the stores when everyone else is busy. I do like the normalcy of working days though. Have fun witht he switch!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

28 years is a very long time to work the same shifts. May take you a bit to get used to getting up that much earlier. Good luck with that.

I sometimes post here in the 2am to 3am times, and I still have to get up at 8am. Insomnia is a real pain in the butt. But it doesn't hit me as often as it used to thank goodness.

Good luck on the new shift.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links