Why we need to teach gun safety to our children..

This is a discussion on Why we need to teach gun safety to our children.. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ignorance is bliss, and almost cost a little girl her life. If they keep making the subject the guns taboo, kids will not respect and ...

Thread: Why we need to teach gun safety to our children..

VIP Member

Unhappy Why we need to teach gun safety to our children..

Ignorance is bliss, and almost cost a little girl her life. If they keep making the subject the guns taboo, kids will not respect and know how to safely and responsibly handle one (or know when to leave one alone) when they eventually come across one. Parents need to secure their weapons and teach their children.

Girl Accidentally Shot at Md. Day Care

A 7-Year-Old Girl Is Accidentally Shot in Arm at Md. Day Care Center, Police Say

GERMANTOWN, Md.*Jan 24, 2006 *A gun brought to a day care center by an 8-year-old boy accidentally went off Tuesday, wounding a 7-year-old girl in the arm, police said.

The boy had the gun in a backpack and was playing with it when it accidentally went off at the For Kids We Care center, Montgomery County police spokesman Derek Baliles said.

The girl was taken to Children's Hospital in Washington, he said. Her injury was not considered life-threatening.

There were six children in the center at the time of the shooting, which happened around 7 a.m. No one else was hurt.

Police said they do not know where the child got the gun. Names of the children, both from Germantown, a suburb of Washington, were not released.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    <sigh> - MD too of all places!

First off - heads are gonna roll re the kid having access to the (loaded) gun - second as Betty says - WTH is going on that a kid has zero handling skills too.

''Went off accidentally" - damn I hate that experession - it is negligence for most part, leading to a tragic accident - tho thank heaven the kid's like is spared and ''only'' an injury - that's bad enough.

My heart sinks too every time knowing darned well just how wonderful this thing is for anti's - fuel they just love

What's the matter with parents these days - some should not have kids!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    That really sucks. I know my kids have both been taught since they were really small to keep hands off guns. Now they get to go shooting and understand how dangerous guns can be. I think not explaining and allowing kids to any gun exposure is the worst. they naturally are curious and don't know better if never shown what a gun can do.

Lead Moderator
    That's really going to hurt in Maryland this year. Our legislative session is just getting started, and a few pro-gun bills are due to be introduced. This will just give the anti's more fodder!

The local police still don't know where the kid got the gun, but I have to admit, when the kid is this young and adult should be charged!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator

Update

Just got home and checked the local news. They have arrested the boy's father and are holding him on multiple charges. They may also charge the boy. (Hope the father does some time!!)

The weapon was a .38 cal wheel gun that was unsecured in a closet when the kid took it. According to Police the gun NEVER left the kid's backpack, it discharged through the pack while the kid was playing with it.

The girl is still hospitalized, but in good condition.
    Rick

Assistant Administrator
    it discharged through the pack while the kid was playing with it.
    Trouble is this means ''pulling the trigger'' - heck, a wheelgun is almost as safe as it gets - until the entirely wrong thing is done.

Oh my, was that lil' girl lucky - could so easily have been way worse.
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Another update (bolded by me):

Jan. 25, 2006 —*An 8-year-old boy and his father face charges in a shooting at the For Kids We Care day-care center in Germantown, Md. The victim will be released from the hospital today.

John Linwood Hall Sr., 56, who owned the gun, will be arraigned today. Under Maryland law, it is a misdemeanor to store a gun where an unsupervised child can access it. According to police, the boy found the gun in a container at Hall's home. Hall, who has a criminal record dating back nearly 40 years, could face a $1,000 fine.

Montgomery County State's Attorney Douglas Gansler said he could not discuss the charges against the boy because he is a juvenile, but Gansler said police wanted to bring the boy into the system to provide him with treatment.

"There was great concern about the boy," Gansler said. "We do not do the charging. The police do that, and they took into account several factors. First the severity of the crime … but they also looked at the boy's history and what would be in his best interest. The police felt it would be in his best interest to charge him because, that way, he'll be turned over to juvenile services and hopefully get the treatment and counseling he needs."

Maryland is one of 19 states with laws against storing a gun where a child can reach it. The Medical Journal of Pediatrics estimates that roughly 1,400 children are killed by firearms each year. The victim was shot in the arm when the boy was handling a .38-caliber Taurus revolver inside his backpack. She is expected to fully recover.

"It was an in-and-out shot," Gansler said. "That's better for her than having to go through major surgery. Three inches to the left and she would have been dead."

A 2002 University of North Carolina study found 36 percent of gun owners with young children in the home reported keeping a firearm loaded; 50 percent of them failed to lock the weapon or store the ammunition in a locked box.

Gansler said that, although Hall did not know that his son had the gun that day, he could be charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, which carries a sentence of up to 20 years and a mandatory sentence of five years.

"We think his son was familiar with guns. He has been taught how to use guns by his father based on statements he made prior to the shooting," Gansler said. The boy had been previously suspended for bringing a toy gun to day care and was in a fight last Friday. Gansler said the boy knew he had a gun with him and had plans for the gun that day, although he did not say what the boy's intentions were.

The shooting happened at 7 a.m. while the children were watching "Peter Pan" before they went to school.

The girl's family released a statement. "This is a harsh reminder that we can never be too careful when it comes to the safety of our children. Everyone has a responsibility to ensure that guns are kept unloaded, locked and out of children's reach to prevent incidents like this. This happens too often to innocent children."
    Taurus revolvers come with a locking mechanism found at the back of the hammer. It obviously wasn't activated or the kid had the key. (I hate those silly locks, anyway, and the anti-gun groups wanting to put those on there think that those will keep kids from getting hurt - but those locks are only as good as the parents' will to use them.)

I wonder what kind of "teaching" dad gave his son.
    Last edited by Betty; January 25th, 2006 at 01:47 PM. Reason: correcting typo
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    Hall, who has a criminal record dating back nearly 40 years,
    ------------------
    I wonder what kind of "teaching" dad gave his son.
    ''This my son, is how we rob a bank!!''
    Chris - P95

I agree with Rocky...kids are naturally curious. Mine are taught about safe handling and allowed to hold them, unloaded, in my presence to get over that initial curiosity. They now all shoot, including my 8 yr old daughter with a .22. When not being shot or cleaned, the guns are locked in a safe

Administrator
    Geesh! "Dear Dad" was a felon.
    So...I guess that pistol should not have even been in his home.
    Best thing that could happen to that kid would be to get him into a decent Foster Home.

Sadly, he has probably already "taught" his kid too much already.

1952 - 2006
    News Update

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Maryland prosecutors have filed charges against an 8-year-old boy who shot and wounded a 7-year-old girl after threatening to rob her at a suburban day-care center, The Washington Post said on Wednesday.

The boy's father, "a felon with a lengthy record," was arrested and charged with leaving a firearm within reach of an unsupervised minor and other offenses after the Tuesday shooting, the Post said.

The third-grader had sneaked his father's .38-caliber revolver into the facility in his backpack on Tuesday, the paper said, quoting law-enforcement officials. He had been suspended in the past for bringing a weapon to school.

Police had initially said the boy accidentally shot the girl, a second-grade student, as a group of six children were attending a before-school program at the For Kids We Care day-care center in Germantown, Maryland, a Washington suburb.

But the Post said, "The sources said the boy threatened to rob the girl and then fired the gun once, striking her in the upper right arm."

The girl was reported in stable condition in a Washington hospital on Tuesday night, the paper said.

The boy "was charged as a juvenile with numerous counts that police declined to outline," it said. He was placed in the custody of the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    Update.....

I heard on the radio this morning that they have also arrested the guy who illegally provided the gun to the father! I'm loving it!!
    Rick

Links