Bug Out SHTF Bazooka

This is a discussion on Bug Out SHTF Bazooka within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I found this on another site and am in fairness posting it in its entirety. Glean from it what applies. I think this is an ...

Thread: Bug Out SHTF Bazooka

Bug Out SHTF Bazooka

I found this on another site and am in fairness posting it in its entirety. Glean from it what applies. I think this is an excellent method of storing caches of supplies. I have several escape routes where I have caches of supplies stashed along with caches of stuff around my property should I ever need them. This is one of the best storage methods I have ever seen. Good enough that I may recover some caches and replace them with this method. Will be interesting to see how they have held up. The first ones I put down are over twenty years old now. On thing of note the original post is from 2003 today with a GPS you won't need the reflectors he talks about though I never did that and just have land mark maps

It is customizable to whatever size you need and water tight. You could even store water in it that would be good decades later. With vacuum pack sealers you can have it be airtight as well or just insert vacuum sealed packets of whatever into the tube. Ammo gunpowder primer etc would be good a hundred years from the time you buried it.

Back in the late Seventies some survivalist type came up with an idea for food and water storage in a PVC pipe. We just call them Bazooka's.

Just go to your local home improvement store and buy the largest diameter PCV pipe they sell 3 to 5 feet long, I normally use the six inch round tube. have it threaded on both ends. Take it home and figure out how many compartments you will need then cut six inch pieces of the thickest cardboard you can find, for as many compartments that you will need.
    Seal one end of the pipe with an end cap, first use teflon tape to waterproof the seals.
    Now figure out what your re-supply needs are. I have filled our Bazooka's with all kinds of stuff, food, water, those female hygiene things that have wings, clean clothes film ammo or any luxury items you may not want to carry. Separate each component with the cardboard circles, and seal the remaining cap waterproofing again.

Next we figure out which trail we project to be humping and use the weekends in between to plant our Bazooka's at various parts of the trail. If we enter a trailhead on the north end, we will spend a day or even a couple of nights seeding the south trailhead, you can also drive to the various towns along the trail some weekend and take a day hike to plant your Bazooka. The hiking and digging are good workouts in between trips. I try to dig my tube trench at least 16 to 18 inches deep to be below the frost line. I have had and currently have tubes I planted nearly two years ago NC SC GA. (the M.R.E can last five years or more in cool storage) They do not damage the environment, after digging up the tube you just fill the hole back in.

You might ask Pappy how do I find my Bazooka's at night. Well, fear not my friend aside from my map where they are planted, I break bike red reflectors into small pieces and drill a hole in them enough to drive a small tack nail through them, and tack them to the some of the trees we will be walking towards. I start at about a thousand yards from where I planted the tubes. My headlamp or flashlight will pick up the reflections, and I pull them out as I go.

I started using the Bazooka back in 95 during the start of the five year Carolina drought. In the Wharrie National Forest to store water as even in a good year its hard to find water in the Wharrie. If the water is older than three months iodine it first and re-aerate it by mixing it as old water can taste flat. It stays pretty cold if you keep it under the frost line. Have fun with it, they are easy to make and pack. Let the kids carry them, by the time they grow up they'll forget the hump anyway
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    You can make things like this.

Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Someone else suggested plastic construction buckets, similarly. I think desiccant packets are probably a good idea.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

No bug out bag, no stashed supplies, this is it. Everything I need is in my home. To take that you would have to kill me, therefore no need for any stash anywhere else but here!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    I've used a like theory, but I use Rubbermaid containers. They are stashed in my garage and basement though, not outside.

My thought process is, I can pick and choose the supplies I take if a bug out is needed depending on the situation. If I can take only a few items, I have the bare bones stuff in one container. If time and room allows for more, I move on the to next container.

I do like the idea of PVC pipe though, I made a much smaller version to carry small items on my motorcycle. I ride through rivers and huge fields of mud often... it keeps everything clean and dry. I don't see why this idea wouldn't work on the larger scale mentioned here.

They only thing I would do different than what is suggested in the article is to thread both ends for convenience. Newton says that the one thing you need from that tube will be at the far end. I'd also label the outside of the container that corresponds with what is inside. That way you know whats there and where it is in the tube.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Are people that nuts that the sky is falling and we need to bury thing in the woods. I hope and pray thing never get that bad. We are the United States of America not some 4th rated county.

LongRider....three letters.....GPS!

Things are not that bad now but they may soon be. These tubes if made waterproof are great places to put rifles and ammo. Hide a few and if they come for the rest, you will still have rifles available if they are needed. If you have acouple of AKs or SKSs then hide one and keep one in the house.

VIP Member
    People used to, and I suppose some still do, and that is bury their money.

I think there is ample strategy in having some supplies away from your house. If for some reason you can't get back to your house, and/or your house is destroyed you have some basic assets buried, not unlike the idea of burying money for safe-keeping.

BTW I don't have anything buried, and I'm not against burying at all, but I think the three biggest enemies of buried items would be. (1) you can't find them, and I'd use GPS coordinates PLUS a back up of written/measured descriptions. I think it is possible that civilian GPS assets could be "turned off". (2) I'd worry about water damage also(leak or condensate). (3) Buried items are difficult to check on and inspect their quality on a regularly scheduled basis.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    You can make things like this.
    In effect exactly what these are but alot cheaper without the cool OD green

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Someone else suggested plastic construction buckets, similarly. I think desiccant packets are probably a good idea.
    I use those for supplies I have in house I have redundant buckets with bean rice pasta dehydrated foods coffee, tea, and mixes etc. Others have cloths & medical supplies. That way if I lose one for some reason I am not out all my beans, coffee or whatever. I vacuum seal everything before I put them in the container. For cloths those vacuum storage bags work great really increases what you can pack into those buckets. Will do the same with the Bazookas. I see the up side of the Bazookas being that they are water / air tight, inherently more secure for burial IMO and not as bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    They only thing I would do different than what is suggested in the article is to thread both ends for convenience. Newton says that the one thing you need from that tube will be at the far end. I'd also label the outside of the container that corresponds with what is inside. That way you know whats there and where it is in the tube.
    Hey I used those too for my motorcycle, never thought to use it like this though. Good idea as long as we seal em air tight

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Are people that nuts that the sky is falling and we need to bury thing in the woods. I hope and pray thing never get that bad. We are the United States of America not some 4th rated county.
    Absolutely right we did not just have tens of thousands of people lose their homes here in Washington from the floods that had to go to parts unknown without supplies or any means of self defense.

Just as there were no people in Katrinia that got raped robbed and killed after the Gestapo confiscated the guns from all the law abiding citizens.

Only in my paranoid fantasies do I imagine my grandfather being gunned down for not wanting to go to a nice American concentration camp err internment camp and my wife only imagined her ancestors being slaughtered for praying inappropriately. They just put that stuff on the news and history books to make whack jobs like me waste a couple hundred bucks on the off chance that it may save my babies lives.

Should probably get rid of my seat belts, smoke detectors, guns, knives and insurance policies as well as all that is just more of my paranoid crazy nut job thinking. Thank you for opening my eyes to the reality of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    LongRider....three letters.....GPS!
    Said that in my original post
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    On thing of note the original post is from 2003 today with a GPS you won't need the reflectors he talks about though I never did that and just have land mark maps
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    These tubes if made waterproof are great places to put rifles and ammo.
    Exactly. Not like we would ever have to do that in America

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I don't have anything buried, and I'm not against burying at all, but I think the three biggest enemies of buried items would be.
    These tubes address those concerns. Still need to figure how to find and recover them. But water and air tight you won't need to check on them. As I said I have stuff that has been down over twenty years, I think this method is better than what I put down back then. One is a gun completely encased in axle grease. God what was I thinking? It is going to be a nightmare cleaning that thing
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I really like this idea, thanks for the post. If nothing else it get me thinking about having a couple three tubes made up and ready to go for an emergency weapon stash.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member
    I was around in the 50s when folks were digging bomb shelters in their backyards, hoping to somehow survive a nuclear exchange.

I don't think we are anywhere near that level of danger but it is clearly prudent to keep at least some supplies and some money readily available.

I've seen store shelves emptied hundreds of miles from Katrina or Rita or Ike. I've seen gasoline stations run out.

I don't pretend to know the future, but I somehow doubt things are so grim that burying things in the mountains is anything more than time and money and effort spent for fun.

But then, you might be the last man standing.

If you have a piece of property start a Pet Cemetary, not all things burried there have to be Pets. If you live in one of those area that people have Family Crypts for burying their dead, they make a great place to store things.

Links