Did the Babylonians CC?

This is a discussion on Did the Babylonians CC? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Conveniently, our neighbor is a financial planner. We have met with him several times and he really has some sound advice. At our very first ...

Thread: Did the Babylonians CC?

Did the Babylonians CC?

Conveniently, our neighbor is a financial planner. We have met with him several times and he really has some sound advice. At our very first meeting, he gave us a copy of "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George S. Clason. My wife was the 1st to read it, while i just got to it this weekend. An easy 2 day read. Highly recommend it, especially for those w/ "rough" money management skills.
    While this book relates mostly to finances, i found a section that pertained to CC. As i finished the book, my wife, who sometimes questions my decision to CC in certain area, asked me if i liked it.
    I told her i did. She asked me what my favorite part of the book was, if something stuck out in my mind. I flipped a couple pages, finding what i was looking for. In large, black, bold print at the end of one of the chapters read:

We Cannot Afford To Be Without Adequate Protection

While this directly refers to life insurance and retirement savings in the book, my wife knew exactly my point when she read the quote and looked at the smirk on my face. Not bad advice, especially considering the quote dates back beyond 2300BC.

2. Remove Ads

I'm certain that humankind has carried weaponry concealed since the day when an antler was sharpened and shaped for ease of use. Hunting away from the home base would have necessitated it. And such weapons would have been equally useful against a variety of threats beyond simple hunting. I'm sure humans knew the value of protection 500K yrs ago, and beyond. It's nice to see that at least one person 5K yrs ago wasn't totally gulled by the illusion of a "higher" existence by not being able to defend oneself.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I'm quite sure they did carry something for self preservation. I doubt if was a 1911. Probably something more in the 3 or 4 inch blade category.

It was probably just as normal as someone wearing underwear today. Just another thing people carry.

Okay, I agree people had common sense way back when. And George S. Clason wrote a classic book when he wrote this one - and I have read it several times over the last 20 years.

However, if you really think that he is relating a "true" story, with real characters that happened exactly like it did, then you fell in love with the romance of the book, rather than the wisdom within the pages.

He is attempting to prove that financial "wisdom" is older than the hills - and while it quite possible is, those quotes are only as old as either 1) George Clason's orgininal writing, or 2) the place from which he quoted that statement.

Great read - great resource - highly recommend it. But it wasn't written in 2300 BC.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Links