Which Minor

This is a discussion on Which Minor within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am thinking of adding a minor onto the Bachlors and get the minor done before I grad in June I am thinking of going ...

Thread: Which Minor

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

Which Minor

I am thinking of adding a minor onto the Bachlors and get the minor done before I grad in June I am thinking of going Management or Management of Info Systems. Which do you think would compliment my degree more since it is in CJ with a specialization in Homeland Security. I am considering LE when I retire from the military.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

My take

IT is a great field of study and is in high demand, the drawback is that IT changes so quickly that to stay current takes constant study or practice in the field. Management princples are more stable and constant, the last serious shake up in management priciples was TQM in the 70s/80s. My B.S. is in business management; when I was contemplating an advanced degree I chose a traditional MBA for just these reasons.

Cheers,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I am looking harder at the Management minor cause it is stable but as you stated the IT field is so another great place to work and make cash.

Gunsmithing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

if the university had it I would do it

management. There will always be management jobs and its tough to outsource those.

Ideally, with your major, see if you can find an application that requires some type of federal security clearance. Why? Because they can basically never outsource a job that requires a decent amount of clearance, for obvious reasons.

Downsides is that its likely you'll be with either a defense contractor (which may not be the shining star of morality or ethics), or the government, where you'll make less than private industry. However, there are many benefits to working for the government, and in general, your job is slightly more secure in a government position. Unfortunately though, you can kiss your ability to carry or even keep a firearm in the car at either location as they tend to be facilities covered under federal law.

Also, the higher in management you go, the more stable your job gets. It also means less grunt work, but its another type of stress... so its not really any better in that regard.

Good luck! And try to get into management ASAP. Don't stay at the grunt level... its easy to get kicked around down there.

I am looking at both on the same level right now so I am one class in for management but I am still considering the other.

Links