Sub 12 Second 1/4 in '72 Electric Datsun

This is a discussion on Sub 12 Second 1/4 in '72 Electric Datsun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Absolutely a blast to watch....clocks 110 mph + with sub 12's: Oregon Field Guide — Electric Drag Racing Oregon Public Broadcasting He could pick up ...

Thread: Sub 12 Second 1/4 in '72 Electric Datsun

Talking Sub 12 Second 1/4 in '72 Electric Datsun

Absolutely a blast to watch....clocks 110 mph + with sub 12's:

Oregon Field Guide — Electric Drag Racing Oregon Public Broadcasting

He could pick up a few pink slips what that

2. Remove Ads

The great thing about electric motors is that they produce their full torque right from their minimum speed, unlike a conventional motor which has to reach a certain RPM (at full throttle) to make peak torque, which also is only as useful as fast the engine can spin, producing horsepower. It's also why electric motors don't really need transmissions.

Still, always fun to see this sort of thing happen! The little Datsun who could.

VIP Member
    Very cool.

If I was at the races watching a couple of these, I'd panic thinking I had gone deaf.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    My only problem with the story is that nowhere is what it takes to charge the batteries addressed. The closing section about no pollutants is patently false. The engine itself may not produce them, but generating the electricity to charge the batteries does.

I can't find it right now, but there was a recent story in one of the science magazines or journals that indicates electrical power may not be as clean as thought either. If I find it I'll post it here.

That said, it was fun to watch the thing zip down the strip.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Thumbs up

Very cool.

I wonder ... Whenever a fuel's discussed, it's generally looked at from the perspective of "tailpipe" costs alone. And yet, the total, net cost of the fuel is far beyond that.

It would be great to see an exhaustive comparison made of all fuels, from the cost of industry and infrastructure to make and delivery the fuel, to the consumer's end of things, to the end-of-life discarding of the fuel, to the its total environmental and health impacts. Then, multiplying the effects across a sufficient number (say, ~600M) to cover replacement of all existing cars.

I have never seen a full study of the impacts of a given fuel.

Seems to me that lining up all fuels against each other in a grand comparo could clarify things.

I would think we'd need to do tests in a series of identically-prepared cars designed to meet a given, minimum set of goals:
    • Must seat four adults and some luggage.
    • Must go ~125mi without refueling, irrespective of the number of passengers, gear, terrain (ie, city vs mountains).
    • Must travel at all common speeds easily.
    • Must accelerate sufficiently well to blend into all common traffic, without danger (ie, getting through intersections safely).
    • Must be able to refuel in less than 10mins (ideally, less than 5mins) sufficiently to go another ~125mi prior to refueling.

Then, we'd need to consider all the costs of having that fuel:
    • What did that fuel cost to produce, in terms of basic materials/labor?
    • What industry had to be in place to produce that fuel, in terms of relative cost-effectiveness as compared to the other fuels? (ie, nuclear is spendy vs hydrogen or biofuel, batteries or gas.)
    • What cost to produce that fuel? Electricity must be made somewhere, taking up an entire electric dam, with the associated costs of having dammed that river. Hydrogen must be created and stored. Gasoline has an entire pumping and refinery industry to make a gallon of gas.
    • What change in delivery-related costs for the new fuel? Electricity must be delivered, as with hydrogen, gasoline, the batteries. As well, a new fuel might sidestep traditional, truck delivery (as with electricity vs gasoline), thereby reducing impact on roadways simply by being delivered in a different manner.
    • How much more/less expensive (in terms of materials or production steps) would the new car be given the fact of the new fuel? (ie, if electric means that no gas tank or gas-related componentry, what reduction in costs/size/weight would result?)
    • If heavier/lighter, what change in impact on the roadway surface would there be? (ie, heavier means an accelerated replacement cost for asphalt, over time; lighter means reduced costs.)
    • What impacts on health would result from changes in weight and speed? (ie, faster would perhaps mean fewer folks getting nailed in intersections while failing to get through them quickly enough, but faster would also mean more dolts would fling themselves off the road at high speed.)
    • What emissions cost is there (assuming a dollar value could be placed on the amount of hydocarbons or other nasties, noise, effects on health, effects on pollution, etc.)?
    • What, if any, recycling/disposal cost is there for the fuel? (ie, batteries die at some point, then have to be dealt with, whereas gas is burned and has no disposal cost.)

Assign a "factor" value to each of these things, or a directly-calculatable cost, then we'd be able to see whether a given fuel is better or worse, and to what degree.

I recall a prototype car being developed back in the 1990's by Rosen Motors, using a Capstone turbine, a huge carbon fiber flywheel, brakes that recaptured some of the energy. Never did see a deep comparison against the total costs of having those things implemented.

Anyone seen the Hollywood film called The Water Engine, with William H. Macy? Interesting concept, for a film, though I have no idea about the practical science behind the "burning" of water as a fuel. Or, John Galt's static electricity engine, from Atlas Shrugged. Uncertain whether it's even possible, on the scale needed to run a motor, or an entire planet of motors.

This guy (at the track) is showing that it's possible to make a change to a car for a new fuel, by replacing a few components. Unknown what his costs are.

Hm. Interesting stuff.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    My only problem with the story is that nowhere is what it takes to charge the batteries addressed. The closing section about no pollutants is patently false. The engine itself may not produce them, but generating the electricity to charge the batteries does.
    I saw this selling cars a lot. They just wanted their friends to see the "hybrid" logo on the trunk. Most of them wouldn't care if the battery pack was made of bald eagle feathers wrapped in baby seal skin.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

As the guy in the film says, they are pioneers (at least at waking people up with the idea...). If only the idea catches on and the curious continue to tinker, will we be able to learn the effects,impacts, pros and cons on the environment and people. Looks good so far.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    I saw this selling cars a lot. They just wanted their friends to see the "hybrid" logo on the trunk. Most of them wouldn't care if the battery pack was made of bald eagle feathers wrapped in baby seal skin.
    Ain't that the truth !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

That was cool as heck.

0-60 in 2 seconds on a motorcycle? How the heck do you hold on?!

-JT

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Mr. Weyland is called "Plasma Boy" because once he dropped a wrench on his battery bank - it was evidently pretty spectacular (I would have had an AD). You'll note the plexiglas covers he has over the battery bank - it had been briefly removed.

I think driving it to and from the racetrack is a good idea, as it would be handy to get away from the muscle car guys he embarrassed ("You got beat by a '72 DATSUN?!?!").
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    0-60 in 2 seconds on a motorcycle? How the heck do you hold on?!
    Velcro. Had to be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links