Vigilantes

Vigilantes

This is a discussion on Vigilantes within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Heard the local radio station talking about this. I think that as soon as they find out who these people are it's going to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vigilantes

Vigilantes

Heard the local radio station talking about this. I think that as soon as they find out who these people are it's going to be a bloodbath. I hate to say it, but money will make someone in this outfit talk. What is your opinion?

Juárez vigilantes vow to kill 1 criminal a day - El Paso Times

Senior Moderator
    Since all other efforts have failed...

The city's police and the Mexican army have been unable to stop a plague of killings, extortion, carjackings and other crime. Last year, more than 1,600 people were slain in Juárez.

a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Something,somewhere is going to have to change and getting there is going to be ugly,very ugly.

It may be time to batten down the hatches and wait till its over.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

TOF
    If the existing Government organizations can't stop the BG's then they have little recource other than taking matters into the hands of a new more effective organization.

Think for a moment about why we have government. It isn't because we want to give a few worthless blowhards a big salary. It is in part to generate a system for reasonable control of those that would do us harm.

Having lived in El Paso and worked in Juarez some years past, I know the local police were and are probably still quite corrupt and can't be counted on to handle the problem.

As already stated you must do what you must do.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

I somehow get the feeling that the crime rate in Juarez is about to drop in the near future.

It's so bad that they just sent 36,000 more mexican army troops to border towns,the majority to nuevo laredo IIRC,If the BG's were a threat to my friends and family and LEO/gubment couldn't stop them then I think I would get together a buncha like minded people and identify the BG's and stop them one at a time or two if they start walking in pairs for security
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    We are trying to fight crime with Joint Operation Chihuahua

With a name like that I can see how the criminals are scared to death of the governments attempt to fight crime down there. I can see the BG's running around with body armor on their ankles!

It has just occurred to me that maybe we should petition are congress to support the people of Mexico and send them some arms to clean up their country and then maybe they won’t be so hell bent on crossing the border to the US to live a half way decent life. They will need to clean up a lot in government positions to get it done.

I dont think that the mexican citizens are the only ones trying to come to the USA for a better life. Its just easier for them since they are attached to us by land. There are lots of illegal immigrants from countries all over the world.
    There is a group called "los zetas" that were supposedly trained by US Special Forces they are now an elite assassin group for one of the cartels. I dont think teaching them to fight will help much. I really dont know what the best course of action is, but I believe that the US needs to stay out of it. We need to help our own people!

Symbolic of the frustration, a story on the threat by the CCJ to kill one criminal a day, on La Polaka.com tabloid news Web site, asked in a headline "Why only one ... ?"

That was my only question.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

It's tough to tell the good guys from the bad guys down there and uniforms mean nothing. Lots of bad guys in uniform, lots in street clothes too. Of course, there's lots in suits also. That's what happens when you disarm the people. Can't fight back..but then, that's what the politicos wanted. Of course, there's a lot more to it, but...Mexico's not the only place, tho'...look around
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by texasccw View Post
    I dont think that the mexican citizens are the only ones trying to come to the USA for a better life. Its just easier for them since they are attached to us by land. There are lots of illegal immigrants from countries all over the world.
    There is a group called "los zetas" that were supposedly trained by US Special Forces they are now an elite assassin group for one of the cartels. I dont think teaching them to fight will help much. I really dont know what the best course of action is, but I believe that the US needs to stay out of it. We need to help our own people!
    Actually they are a drug cartel,they decided why just be peon security when we can just take over,so they killed the higher ups and took over
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by joelg View Post
    That's what happens when you disarm the people. Can't fight back..but then, that's what the politicos wanted.
    If anything, the chaos and anarchy in Mexico should be a stark warning for what's absolutely possible here.

1.2M people in Ciudad Juarez. Imagine if 500K of them were armed, even if only for a year. Attempt to violate an upstanding person ... and you're eliminated. If only.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's what you eventually get when the people have been ignored by their government.

Personally, I couldn't be a vigilante, although if I were on a jury, I might let one go.

What is fascinating is the (internet) poll shows 59.09% supporting the vigilantes outright with another 24.37% saying its worth a try. Only 16.53% oppose.
    I know its only an internet poll but what do you think that says about the mentality of OUR citizenry?
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    What is fascinating is the (internet) poll shows 59.09% supporting the vigilantes outright with another 24.37% saying its worth a try. Only 16.53% oppose.
    I know its only an internet poll but what do you think that says about the mentality of OUR citizenry?
    Easy, there. Having sympathy for the people of a failed state cannot simply be extended to mean that folks believe vigilantism is the right thing in all circumstances by all people including ourselves right now. Not at all.

While I subscribe to the increased vilgilance on the part of citizens, it's hard to support roving gangs of murderers seeking to bring their concept of justice on their own time line. That's not the rule of law; that's mob rule.

Keep in mind, too, as you mentioned, that this is the internet, that the population of DC.com comes from all over the world, and that any implications about one scenario in another country as seen from this mixed online community don't directly translate in that way.

Mexico is darned near a failed state. It's hard to see otherwise. While it does have an "elected" government in place and many of the outward trappings of governance, it (a) cannot provide for its people's safety and security, (b) cannot keep crime from overrunning its people's lives, (c) cannot eliminate the corruption that has killed it, and largely (d) cannot successfully improve on what could be outsourced to business.

We're speaking of Mexican citizens, in this discussion, in a situation of complete government failure to eject crime from the midst of the northern third of the country. (It's like Pakistan's tribal regions, in this regard, in which Pakistan's government might as well be vacationing in Haiti, for all the good it's doing. It's called the "autonomous region" for good reason, because the national government holds no power there.)

I bloody well hope that I'd have the fortitude to stand up when my government experiences utter and abject failure to do a darned thing for the people. We're speaking of the folks in Juarez, where government and army can do zilch, where corruption and crime is a primary goal of a good number of the people in that city.

Faced with a decade (or a lifetime) of that, with no hope for your children or theirs, what would you do? What would your answer say about you, and your people? By comparison, what would layin' down and doin' nuthin' say about a people: "defeated and no longer worthy of having a nation," perhaps?

What, indeed.

Back to the point of the thread: what do honorable people do in the U.S. if faced with a threat of violence on a daily basis? Get a CHL and training, and go armed; and, force acceptance of that via elections and legislation. It's why we're here. With only a veneer of corruption amongst the police, judiciary and armed forces, that's about all that's needed, in the U.S. But, if it got to the point where the U.S. people experienced utter failure to govern, where crime went up twenty times and overran the daily lives of three-fourths of the people, I would hope the people would pick another method of surviving than simply praying it'll come out in the wash.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links