Defensive Carry Stats

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry Stats within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I stumbled on this page, which appears to be like an "Arbitron" for WebSites. Very interesting statistics about DC. defensivecarry.com - Quantcast Audience Profile...

Thread: Defensive Carry Stats

Defensive Carry Stats

I stumbled on this page, which appears to be like an "Arbitron" for WebSites. Very interesting statistics about DC.

defensivecarry.com - Quantcast Audience Profile
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

2. Remove Ads

Since nobody else is biting, let me just take a wild swing at pointing out some interesting things. If you look at the trends for DC here: defensivecarry.com - Quantcast Audience Profile you'll see that on or around Oct 15th, Traffic for Defensive Carry started going way up, well beyond normal fluctuations.

What was going on "in the real world?"... lets have a look:

From Wikipedia:

On Friday, October 10th, stock markets crashed across Europe and Asia. London, Paris and Frankfurt dropped 10% within an hour of trading and again when Wall Street opened for trading. Global markets have experienced their worst weeks since 1987 and some indices, S&P 500, since the Wall Street Crash of 1929.[130]

On October 10th, within the first five minutes of the trading session on Wall Street, the Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 697 points, falling below 7900 to its lowest level since March 17, 2003. Later in the afternoon, the Dow made violent swings back and forth across the breakeven line, toppling as much as 600 points and rising 322 points. The Dow ended the day losing only 128 points, or 1.49%. Trading on New York Stock Exchange closed for the week with the Dow at 8,451, down 1,874 points, or 18% for the week, and after 8 days of losses, 40% down from its record high October 9, 2007. Trading on Friday was marked by extreme volatility with a steep loss in the first few minutes followed by a rise into positive territory, closing down at the end of the day. In S&P100 some financial corporate showing signals upwards also.[131] President George W. Bush reassured investors that the government will solve the financial crisis gripping world economies
    Another Massive spike on or around Nov 4th. Could it be.......something big took place around that time? I dunno, an election or something. Since that time, the numbers have increased, appear to have peaked and have settled in at a rate of approximately 60% over the traffic of 3 months previous. They have not fallen to previous levels.

Certainly, correlation does not equal causation, and those numbers are "estimates" according to quantcast. But I think I could make a hobby of correlating DC traffic to National Events. It's utterly fascinating.

It's also surprising that they pegged the average reader of DC as "likely to shop at Lowes"... Their numbers obviously are taken from tracking cookies and not from content, or Wal-Mart surely would've ranked over Lowes.
    Last edited by BlackPR; January 16th, 2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: fixed a number
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

I think the graph follows nicely the gun / ammo panic buying. I guess you can call it a DC forum browsing panic :-)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I've checked out that site actually...a couple of days ago when the site was down for some reason. Interesting statistics.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Interesting stats for sure. The summery said that we are predominately Caucasian, (I don't know how it came up with that stat) older, (kids grown) middle income, collage grads. Seems about right.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I gradiated from the college of hard nocks with a minor in bumps
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    As to the 'more likely to shop at Lowe's' part.....In think that we tend to be a group who is more self reliant.

We fix/repair our homes ourselves...rather than hire somebody else to do it. We know how or are willing to try it ourselves.....

(plus, the money we save from doing our own home repairs gives us more cash for bullets.....)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

DC Founder
    Quantcast does provide some interesting statistics, but many of them are simply guesses. They substantiate this in their "Data is based on Rough Estimate" comment but some interesting statistics nonetheless.

I was, at one time, considering joining their "Quantified Publisher Program" but it seemed that that might violate some of my own privacy ethics. In short, they use a cookie to snoop on our members' Internet activities. No matter how benign this actually is, it just doesn't sit well with me. Since it is a javascript that resides on their server, it would be difficult to tell exactly what it was doing. I suspect that it also has the potential to slow down page loads here.

If there was a way to provide you the results of the detailed daily statistics obtained from within vBulletin you would really have a fun.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Quantcast does provide some interesting statistics, but many of them are simply guesses. They substantiate this in their "Data is based on Rough Estimate" comment but some interesting statistics nonetheless.

I was, at one time, considering joining their "Quantified Publisher Program" but it seemed that that might violate some of my own privacy ethics. In short, they use a cookie to snoop on our members' Internet activities. No matter how benign this actually is, it just doesn't sit well with me. Since it is a javascript that resides on their server, it would be difficult to tell exactly what it was doing. I suspect that it also has the potential to slow down page loads here.
    Yeah, it was pretty obvious they use tracking cookies, and it does raise some interesting ethical questions. Generally, I'm opposed to the entire concept of tracking cookies, being a privacy nut. As I mentioned in a previous post, there's obvious no "context" checking. For example, they aren't looking at the content of the page to determine interest, or based on the number of times "Wal-Mart" is mentioned on the forum, they would assume we were all big wal-mart shoppers.

Not using context information begs the question about how they could possibly have any idea (even a rough guess) about racial makeup of DC.

So I did a little bit of research.

It turns out that Major ISP's (Mine included) are both customers of, and sellers of data to Quantcast. In other words, when you agreed to let your ISP share your data with their partners (you know, in the fine print that you didn't read when you signed up for service), you also let them sell information from that marketing call or survey that they gave you 6 months later. Not to mention actual usage habits! This is somewhat of a surprise to me.

Quantcast is fairly sophisticated in this regard. When you filled out that form last year to win an I-Pod and it asked your yearly salary and ethnic background, little did you know that your ip address and results of surveys are all correlated and sold to companies like Quantcast. Quantcast can lump it all together to get "rough" numbers at an ISP/Regional level. In short, the numbers are probably not incredibly accurate. But it's still a hell of a system.

If there was a way to provide you the results of the detailed daily statistics obtained from within vBulletin you would really have a fun.
    There's always a way! But to be honest, if you offered it to me, I wouldn't accept it.

Links