Shooting at premiere of "Notorious".

This is a discussion on Shooting at premiere of "Notorious". within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There was a shooting at a screening of "Notorious" a biopic about Notorious B.I.G. attended by one of the stars of the film. MyFox WGHP ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

There was a shooting at a screening of "Notorious" a biopic about Notorious B.I.G. attended by one of the stars of the film.

MyFox WGHP | Greensboro Cinema Evacuated After Shooting

I'm worried. If I don't stop laughing, I may have to go to the ER and get sedated. I think I may have pulled something.

Joe

i'm trying to find the humor in the story.

nope, still can't find it.

I agree. I don't see in humor in the story. Maybe a little irony, but no humor.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Sounds like maybe gangbangers going to see a movie and two guys apparently had a problem
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I actually do see the humor from the angle of bitter irony.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Duisburg has it.

As the saying goes, "Lay down with dogs and get up with fleas". If you make a film glorifying the "gangsta" lifestyle, don't be surprised when there are shootings at the screenings.

A scene in the movie has Sean Combs (aka Puffy, Puff Daddy, P-diddy etc.) berating a young Christopher Wallace (aka Notorious B.I.G, Biggie Smallls, etc.) for continuing to sell narcotics while starting his rise as a star. Combs makes it clear that he has no problems with the criminality and drugs, just that Wallace should be "about the street, not on the street". While the movie in general seems to try to sugar coat the violence and underlying criminality that is inherent in the rap culture, this scene in particular points out that those who have achieved massive success in rap music have done so by perpetuating and enabling that culture of violence and despair.

Rather than offering an alternative to the "thug life" as a few have, most rappers glorify and exhalt it and feed off of the result like giant, bloated ticks.

I see what this cycle of despair is doing to a generation of youth and the terrible cost to our urban centers and way of life and when things like this happen; I have to laugh. If I let myself cry, I don't know if I could stop

Joe

VIP Member
    I don't find it funny. In fact I find it sad that Hollywood and the motion picture industry continue to put out and promote this kind of crap and then set back and try to put on a "holier than thou" attitude to the rest of the world. Of course Hollywood has always been that way so why expect them to change. Jesse James, Billy the Kid, The Boston Strangler, B.I.G., P-ditty, to name a few. Different times, but all thugs and murders, and all glorified by Hollywood.

It's not just this generation of kids. It's been going on for a while.

I was running a UA theater back in '92 when "Juice" opened. Same problems back then. There weren't any firearms involved at mine, but several fights and threats per night weren't uncommon. The additional costs of extra security coupled with the violence that occurred led the movie to be pulled from my theater and several others in the area within a week of opening.

If you make a movie that glorifies the lifestyle, guess who shows up.
    Some bad elements are just worse than others. I had lots of bikers show up at "Stone cold" but no Hells Angles/Bandito altercations.
    Mixing Crypts/Bloods is just bad Juju.

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    There was a shooting at a screening of "Notorious" a biopic about Notorious B.I.G. ...
    Sounds about right. One of the reasons I don't attend such things.

I figure, many folks at such "events" want to be seen, make a statement, get up close, make a mess, or otherwise do something more than simply take in the sights ... at whatever it is that's going on. I prefer low-key affairs, by comparison.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Police said they do not know if there is a connection between the film and shooting.
    Ha, Ha, ha
    According to police, a gun went off in a theater hallway.
    Those evil guns, attacking those poor people.

probably a couple of tupac fans

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Jesse James, Billy the Kid, The Boston Strangler, B.I.G., P-ditty, to name a few. Different times, but all thugs and murders, and all glorified by Hollywood.
    really? the Boston Strangler and P. Diddy are in the same league? really? you put a serial killer and a goofy record producer in the same league? really? an overweight rapper and a muderous thief are the same to you? really? hmmm, that's interesting. so, i take it you're not a fan of Johnny Cash, or U2, or Bon Jovi, or Martin Scorsese, or Al Pacino, any other artist whose work might portray the negative aspects of reality.

i understand you may not like rap music, but keep in mind that's all that it is: music. rap music doesn't cause gang violence any more than country music causes lynchings, or The Sopranos cause mob hits. the problem existed before rap music, and will probably continue to exist in spite of it. remember that, before you pigeonhole rappers with human garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    rap music doesn't cause gang violence any more than country music causes lynchings
    Really? How come I don't hear about all those county music lynchings, but I hear all the time about the Hip-Hop shootings? Rap music does cause violence because it attracts a segment of society that have no morals at home. Most likely no father, and a mother that has enough to worry about already.
    Without a moral compass, those youth are drawn to the rap idols who shoot each other with great regularity, and preach violence.
    When will we stop sugar coating it and say enough is enough!

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    As the saying goes, "Lay down with dogs and get up with fleas". I see what this cycle of despair is doing to a generation of youth and the terrible cost to our urban centers and way of life and when things like this happen; I have to laugh. If I let myself cry, I don't know if I could stop.
    Well said. This glorified lifestyle continues to be a part of the problem with society today. I relish harm to no one, but the irony of this situation is somewhat humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Without a moral compass, those youth are drawn to the rap idols who shoot each other with great regularity, and preach violence.
    When will we stop sugar coating it and say enough is enough!
    riiiiiight. that's why there are soooooooooo many dead rappers, right? Chuck D and KRS1 have a shootout scheduled for next week, if you're interested.

please, if you're unfamiliar with the music, don't try and provide a social commentary. in return, i'll keep my nose out of the world of southern rock and country.

except for Johnny Cash, cuz he's gangsta.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links